American Throwball Association: Cleveland Update

jmoe12

7 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

This design requires a bit of explanation. For the 80s and early 90s, their logo was a caricture of a Mafia man, but this received plenty of opposition from the PC police. The Kangaroo logo was adopted in 1998. (A group of Kangaroos is called a mob.) The kits remained mostly unchanged when the new logo was released, but the Kangaroo was removed from the left chest and onto the center.

Really, at that point, the PC police wouldn't have attacked a Mafia caricature.  During the 80's/90's, teams wanted to avoid associations with urban (read: Black) crime.  Hence, names with those connotations were changed (Washington Bullets to Wizards, San Jose Blades to Sharks).  I highly doubt a mafia man would stir up controversy, unless it was ridiculously insulting to Italians, which would have been pretty difficult at that point.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Really, at that point, the PC police wouldn't have attacked a Mafia caricature.  During the 80's/90's, teams wanted to avoid associations with urban (read: Black) crime.  Hence, names with those connotations were changed (Washington Bullets to Wizards, San Jose Blades to Sharks).  I highly doubt a mafia man would stir up controversy, unless it was ridiculously insulting to Italians, which would have been pretty difficult at that point.

You're probably right, but I really wanted to draw a kangaroo in a fedora

Guest darkpiranha

Love it.  However, they probably would have shortened the name to just "Mob" to further distance themselves from Italian stereotyping.  Like Orangemen shrunk down to just "Orange".  Of course, The Mob is probably what everyone calls the team anyway.  

In any event, of all of them revealed so far, this is easily my favorite, and will be the team I adopt as a fan.

Guest darkpiranha
Just now, Bulldog said:

How is an orange offensive?

It used to be the Syracuse Orangemen, with Native American imagery as their motif, but twenty years ago or so, after lots of public pressure, they changed it to just Syracuse Orange, with an orange as the new identity.  

Guest darkpiranha

Nice!  The only thing I'd maybe consider is giving the crack a bit of a taper at the end (near the middle of the bell).  The squared off end is throwing me just a bit.  Too uniform a line weight.

Here's another team that participated in the last Club Cup, so you might have seen them before. I'll post a new team this afternoon

Cleveland Devils

Founded: 1991

Division: North

Union Cups: 1 (2012)

Moelduer Shields: 1 (2012)

Cleveland has been around for as long as the ATA has, and have established themselves as a constant threat to take a playoff spot. But they struggled to string together wins in the postseason, and failed to bring home any trophies. That all changed in 2012, when a group of young stars led by Judell Samson took Cleveland to the double. This dominant year was supposed to begin a Devils Dynasty, but they've failed to win a trophy since, and rumors are swirling about Samson's future with the club.

XERPdvP.png

Design remains unchanged from the Club Cup, with a championship star being added above the logo.

C&C appreciated!

As promised, here's Detroit!

Detroit Moose

Founded: 1978

Union Cups: 2 (1991, 1993)

Moelduer Shields: 2 (1993, 1994)

Despite a dominant stretch in the early '90s, the Moose have been a remarkably average team. But when new ownership took control in 2009, they began to assemble a cast of young talent that looks now like a potential dynasty. They picked up a little known Panamanian center for just $1 million, but now, Diego Greefkes is a star. The Moose continued to build around Greefkes, and managed an incredible run through the super-tough North to the Union Cup in 2015, where they tied for second.

Lr9kxvI.png

The design is fairly simple, with the iconic sleeve stripes and double-brown color scheme remaining mostly unchanged since the '70s. The logo is probably my favorite so far.

C&C appreciated. This is the last of the teams I had finished in advance, so the concepts will be slowing down from now on.

Guest darkpiranha

Explain the Moelduer Shield again?  I can't find where you'd explained it initially.   I'm guessing it's just the best record of the regular season?  

3 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Explain the Moelduer Shield again?  I can't find where you'd explained it initially.   I'm guessing it's just the best record of the regular season?  

Yep, like the President's trophy in hockey, but it means a little more

• 1 month later...

I didn't mean for this series to slow down quite this much. Exams and work have taken away almost all of my free time since April, and so this series fell onto the back burner. But with the school year over and the season kicking off on June 3rd, I've gotten going again.

Indianapolis Racers

Founded: 2009

Union Cups: 0

Moelduer Shields: 0

Indianapolis was brought on as an expansion team in 2009 along with San Diego, and have achieved basically nothing in 7 seasons. Their fanbase is the smallest in the league, as the majority of Hoosiers already held strong allegiances to Chicago, Detroit, or Cleveland before the club was formed. Poor attendance and woeful on-field product make the Racers a perfect candidate for relocation, but owner Jim Kunitz is determined to keep the club in Indy.

A6CP9K8.png

Indianapolis sports the loudest kits in the league, with head to toe yellow at home, and a checkered shirt for the clash. What the team lacks in wins, it makes up for in two of the most recognizable kits in the league.

C&C appreciated! Hopefully the teams will be released more consistently from now on.

Fans of kangaroos in fedoras should appreciate this next concept

Milwaukee Hogs

Founded: 1971 (Relocated from Madison 1991)

One of the two oldest teams in the league, Milwaukee began play as the Madison Foxes of the Midwest Throwball League in 1971. But in 45 years in the league, the club has failed to bring a single piece of silverware to America's Dairyland. Though not as downtrodden as Boston, the Hogs hold the dubious distinction of being one of two founding members of NATA with an empty trophy case. But the future looks very bright, as young stars like Kayne Brauer and Ben Ashwe putting Milwaukee back in the playoff hunt.

WyWJjiY.png

The team is partially owned by Harley-Davidson, hence the "Hogs" name and the motorcycle. Milwaukee struggles from a bit of identity confusion. They were a team rebranded in the '90s, hence the modern logo and home kit, but they also want to acknowledge their history, and wear a simple white clash. 

C&C appreciated!

1 hour ago, jmoe12 said:

Fans of kangaroos in fedoras should appreciate this next concept

Milwaukee Hogs

Founded: 1971 (Relocated from Madison 1991)

One of the two oldest teams in the league, Milwaukee began play as the Madison Foxes of the Midwest Throwball League in 1971. But in 45 years in the league, the club has failed to bring a single piece of silverware to America's Dairyland. Though not as downtrodden as Boston, the Hogs hold the dubious distinction of being one of two founding members of NATA with an empty trophy case. But the future looks very bright, as young stars like Kayne Brauer and Ben Ashwe putting Milwaukee back in the playoff hunt.

WyWJjiY.png

The team is partially owned by Harley-Davidson, hence the "Hogs" name and the motorcycle. Milwaukee struggles from a bit of identity confusion. They were a team rebranded in the '90s, hence the modern logo and home kit, but they also want to acknowledge their history, and wear a simple white clash. 

C&C appreciated!

Love the branding! So unique and clever.

I've had loads of free time this week, so I finished St. Louis!

St. Louis Showboats

Founded: 1983

Union Cups: 1 (2003)

Never horrible but never great, St. Louis was once a perrenial playoff contender. But, after their Union Cup triumph in 2003, the Showboats have made the playoffs only twice, losing in the first round both times. The team is in a rebuilding stage, selling star center Cristobal del Nunez to LA in order to make room for young prospect Sam Duban in the starting lineup. The playoffs seem well out of reach for now, but ownership is hoping their young squad can contend by 2018.

KTCSFdF.png

Super simple logo, taking cues from the city flag. The white outline around the oval makes a subtle Gateway Arch. The home kit is what the 'boats have worn for almost their entire existence, using the flag as inspiration. The clash changes quite frequently, with a heavy emphasis on gold this year.

C&C appreciated, Twin Cities will wrap up the North Division early next week!

Halfway through!

Twin Cities Lumberjacks

Founded: 1979

Union Cups: 1 (2010)

Moelduer Shields: 3 (1996, 2011, 2014)

Consistently one of the league's best during the regular season, the 'Jacks have suffered heartbreak on numerous occasions in the playoffs. After 4 unsuccessful runs to the Cup, Twin Cities broke through on their fifth attempt, capturing the title in 2010. Since then, the club has had the best regular season record in the league, winning two shields, but a second Union Cup has eluded them. With an aging starting lineup (average age 29) the 2016 campaign may be their last chance.

XWVRVlg.png

Twin Cities was officially founded in 1979, the result of a merger between the St. Paul Loggers and Minneapolis Beavers. The logo was a combination of the two clubs' marks, and has remained unchanged since the inaugural NATA season. The kits are fairly simple, with a "sawblade" motif on the right leg of the shorts.

C&C appreciated, the South Division is next. 

9 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Love last two logos but the hogs looks like a MiLB alternate logo

That makes sense, the whole identity is a bit "out there" but I really like it. Thanks for the feedback!

Archived