American Throwball Association: Cleveland Update

jmoe12

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

I think you should use all three combos for the Palms.  Give a fun backstory about what conditions dictate which color combo the team will use.   

On 8/11/2016 at 7:59 PM, darkpiranha said:

I think you should use all three combos for the Palms.  Give a fun backstory about what conditions dictate which color combo the team will use.   

I thought about doing something like that, but I just couldn't come up with a good enough reason. I'll keep thinking about it, though.

Now, the final team in the South division!

Tampa Bay Hammerheads

Founded: 2008

Division: South

Union Cups: 0

Moelduer Shields: 0

One of the youngest teams in the league, Tampa Bay has been pretty successful, making the playoffs 4 times in 8 years, losing in the first round each time. The Hammerheads utilize an aggressive high-press to force mistakes and create easy chances on the break. This system has allowed players like Ethan Mueller and Bryce Anderson to thrive. But as Mueller continues to approach 30, Tampa will have to find a replacement for when their franchise player is past his prime

ctatX8s.png

Simple silhouette for the logo. If you're clever, you'll see a TB in the shark outline. The home kit features a "shark tooth" pattern fading down the shirt and on the short stripe. The clash is grey, with the pattern appearing on the sleeves and again on the shorts.

C&C appreciated, we'll be heading a mile high for the next team

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling team 22!

Colorado Dinosaurs

Founded: 2000

Division: West

One of the youngest teams in the league, Colorado has implemented a "moneyball" system to get the most out of their small budget. The Dinos have the best scouting network in the entire league, and have developed several great young players, only to sell them off to other clubs. This approach has prevented Colorado from ever challenging for a title, but the constant influx of young talent has kept them always in the playoff hunt.

DGoYXkl.png

I tried to make this concept as 90s as possible. The logo is a T-Rex head on top of the C from the Colorado state flag. Both kits feature a "Purple Mountains' Majesty" motif on the bottom of the shirt, taken from the Denver city flag. The biggest struggle I had designing this team was  the color balance, so let me know if I can change anything to make it look better.

C&C appreciated!

Next is LA

Los Angeles Stars

Founded: 1990

Union Cups: 1 (2001)

Moelduer Shields: 2 (2000, 2001)

The Stars have always had a big budget, and have not been afraid to splash the cash on some talent. This free-spending mentality gave them a Union Cup and two Shields at the turn of the century, and plenty of high finishes surrounding them. But ownership change in 2007 has put the Stars into the bottom half of the league, and they still have not recovered. But the future looks promising, with a core of Victor Campbell, Cristobal del Nunez, and Ibal Fernandez leading the charge for LA's playoff push.

luZIBz2.png

Home kit features a red/yellow split down the middle, and has been used for almost all of the club's existence. This time, it is paired with black shorts, but red, yellow, and even white have been used in the past. The clash is all black, with vertical zigzags coming from the LA flag.

C&C appreciated as always. I have a few teams done already, so those will be coming up in the next few days.

7 minutes ago, jmoe12 said:

Next is LA

Los Angeles Stars

Founded: 1990

Union Cups: 1 (2001)

Moelduer Shields: 2 (2000, 2001)

The Stars have always had a big budget, and have not been afraid to splash the cash on some talent. This free-spending mentality gave them a Union Cup and two Shields at the turn of the century, and plenty of high finishes surrounding them. But ownership change in 2007 has put the Stars into the bottom half of the league, and they still have not recovered. But the future looks promising, with a core of Victor Campbell, Cristobal del Nunez, and Ibal Fernandez leading the charge for LA's playoff push.

luZIBz2.png

Home kit features a red/yellow split down the middle, and has been used for almost all of the club's existence. This time, it is paired with black shorts, but red, yellow, and even white have been used in the past. The clash is all black, with vertical zigzags coming from the LA flag.

C&C appreciated as always. I have a few teams done already, so those will be coming up in the next few days.

The zigzags on the clash really give the team a bold look to match the boldness of Los Angeles. Great work as always.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

I've had plenty of time to work on these the last couple of days, so I have another one today. However, with school and soccer both starting up, my time will be severely limited from now on.

Phoenix Scorpions

Founded: 1975 (Relocated from Eau Claire 1979, Green Bay 1994)

Union Cups: 1 (2008)

Moelduer Shields: 2 (2007, 2010)

Since relocating from Wisconsin in '94, the Scorpions have been sensational, always competing for the West Division crown. The most dominant era came in the mid 2000s, where the Scorpions pulled in three trophies and reached 5 consecutive Union Cups from 2007-2011. As their stars grew old, Phoenix fell down into the middle of the table, but their squad is filled with experienced winners and are always poised to make a deep run.

vf1PvIA.png

The Scorpoins have always sported super simple and classy kits, which complements their silhouette logo perfectly. I thought the kits looked too simple, so I added a yoke with rays from the Arizona state flag. The away is just a white version of the home, with a red yoke.

C&C appreciated!

9 minutes ago, jmoe12 said:

I've had plenty of time to work on these the last couple of days, so I have another one today. However, with school and soccer both starting up, my time will be severely limited from now on.

Phoenix Scorpions

Founded: 1975 (Relocated from Eau Claire 1979, Green Bay 1994)

Union Cups: 1 (2008)

Moelduer Shields: 2 (2007, 2010)

Since relocating from Wisconsin in '94, the Scorpions have been sensational, always competing for the West Division crown. The most dominant era came in the mid 2000s, where the Scorpions pulled in three trophies and reached 5 consecutive Union Cups from 2007-2011. As their stars grew old, Phoenix fell down into the middle of the table, but their squad is filled with experienced winners and are always poised to make a deep run.

vf1PvIA.png

The Scorpoins have always sported super simple and classy kits, which complements their silhouette logo perfectly. I thought the kits looked too simple, so I added a yoke with rays from the Arizona state flag. The away is just a white version of the home, with a red yoke.

C&C appreciated!

If only they stayed in Green Bay. But there is a team in Milwaukee so hopefully they can do good in the future. Other than that, I like the simpleness of Phoenix's kits. These are one of my personal favorites so far. Can't wait to see what you have next.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

1 hour ago, Windell918 said:

Great set design and logo. Only change you might consider is flipping the colors on the logo for the home shirt. (Tan scorpion Red outline)

You're right, this definitely looks better

65OOv9y.png

I agree as well. Before, you really were not able to see the silhouette as much but now it is clearly visible. Also, after you finish the ATA, might you possibly be doing some of the other leagues in Throwball in the future or is this gonna be the only one you do all the teams for?

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

5 minutes ago, willmoen said:

Also, after you finish the ATA, might you possibly be doing some of the other leagues in Throwball in the future or is this gonna be the only one you do all the teams for?

I've been wanting to do national team concepts for a while, so those will probably be next. This year is going to be really busy for me, so I don't want to tie myself down to doing an entire league. It may end up being more of a "grab bag" where I just do a team from anywhere whenever I can. 

Moving along, then. This concept is the last one I have done for now.

Portland Pioneers

Founded: 1997

Union Cups: 1 (2014)

For over a decade, the Pioneers were considered the worst run club in the league, and possibly the worst in North American sports. Portland rarely made a splash in the transfer market, and when they did, the player didn't pan out. But suddenly, their fortunes turned. Homegrown prospects began working their way up the ranks and performing well on the first team, lifting the Pioneers to the playoffs for only the second time in 2009. As star center Ezekiel Solomon entered his prime, Portland became consistent contenders, making (and winning) their first Union Cup in 2014. Though they fell short of a repeat last season, the club is in excellent position to compete.

skCHcSm.png

Probably my favorite set I've ever made. The logo is a pioneer, facing toward the west. The kits are plaid, in order to "Keep Portland Weird". The away kit is a white version of the home, with a plaid stripe down the center.

C&C appreciated! The series will definitely slow down from the breakneck speed we've been going. School starts on Monday and we have our first soccer game this weekend. So I'll probably slow down, but hopefully not abandon this project completely.

1 hour ago, jmoe12 said:

Moving along, then. This concept is the last one I have done for now.

Portland Pioneers

Founded: 1997

Union Cups: 1 (2014)

For over a decade, the Pioneers were considered the worst run club in the league, and possibly the worst in North American sports. Portland rarely made a splash in the transfer market, and when they did, the player didn't pan out. But suddenly, their fortunes turned. Homegrown prospects began working their way up the ranks and performing well on the first team, lifting the Pioneers to the playoffs for only the second time in 2009. As star center Ezekiel Solomon entered his prime, Portland became consistent contenders, making (and winning) their first Union Cup in 2014. Though they fell short of a repeat last season, the club is in excellent position to compete.

skCHcSm.png

Probably my favorite set I've ever made. The logo is a pioneer, facing toward the west. The kits are plaid, in order to "Keep Portland Weird". The away kit is a white version of the home, with a plaid stripe down the center.

C&C appreciated! The series will definitely slow down from the breakneck speed we've been going. School starts on Monday and we have our first soccer game this weekend. So I'll probably slow down, but hopefully not abandon this project completely.

I like the plaid look, it suits really well with the Pioneers look. Also, I just wanna say that when I first saw the Throwball Club Cup back in January and saw all of the leagues and teams you created to back up the history of Throwball, I was inspired to expand a fictional sport I created and am currently working on. Although I am still a very long ways away from posting this on the concept board, your Throwball concepts have given me the motivation to expand (tbh, probably a little too much) my fictional sport.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

Just now, willmoen said:

Also, I just wanna say that when I first saw the Throwball Club Cup back in January and saw all of the leagues and teams you created to back up the history of Throwball, I was inspired to expand a fictional sport I created and am currently working on. Although I am still a very long ways away from posting this on the concept board, your Throwball concepts have given me the motivation to expand (tbh, probably a little too much) my fictional sport.

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

I got another one done!

San Diego Vigilantes

Founded: 2009

The Vigilantes, have, to put it nicely, sucked for the entirety of their existence. Much like their expansion partners Indianapolis, San Diego has been stricken with poor fan support and a brutal on-field product. Many San Diego residents have chosen to spend their Throwball dollars on the LA Stars or even Mexican side Tijuana. Whenever relocation is mentioned, the Vigilantes are often the first team mentioned, and if they can't right the ship soon, a move may become unavoidable.

YfUTJMX.png

San Diego's city motto is Semper Vigilans, Latin for "Ever Vigilant." I used this as inspiration for the name. The logo is a skull in a vaquero's hat, a tribute to the days of the Wild West. I used a Mexican tapestry pattern as inspiration for the hat and uniform trim. San Diego is one of the few teams to feature shirts, shorts, and pads all different colors, which is generally frowned upon by boards such as these. But I think the Vigilantes pull it off quite well. 

C&C appreciated, two more teams to go!

Archived