Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an interesting question and I don't know the answer to that right now. What's pretty cool about Matthews going to Toronto is those two are going to play each other 5 times every year for the foreseeable future. Toronto-Buffalo becoming a relevant rivalry again would be great for hockey. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

25 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

26-year-old John Chayka is being named as Arizona's new GM tomorrow.

The owners believe he is the right man to trade for Pavel Datsyuk's cap hit.

I don't like the way the position of general manager in the NHL has devolved from "head of personnel/hockey operations" to "head coach's office bitch," which, make no mistake, is what this is. Apparently a bunch of Coyotes investors fell in love with Dave Tippett and decided that he had to come out on top of any power struggle with Don Maloney, so here we are with a glorified intern and a head coach with "more say" in hockey-ops. Now I'm no fan of Don Maloney the way some people were, I always thought he was just good at finding plugs for a system based around shot-blocking, but I still have to believe the Coyotes are better off with him at the top of the chain of command than they are with Dave Tippett.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

51 minutes ago, the admiral said:

the position of general manager in the NHL has devolved from "head of personnel/hockey operations" to "head coach's office bitch

Which other GMs are subservient to their coaches?  I scanned the list, and nobody really jumped out at me other than this new Chayka guy.  I think Babcock gets some say in personnel decisions?  We've literally had the coach and the GM be the same person on occasion, so I don't think having a puppet GM is all that unusual.  Coaches are disposable, the easiest way to shake up a team.  I don't see them becoming de facto GMs all over the league any time soon.

Sakic technically answers to Roy, and the Maple Leafs' chain of command these days is a pasta bowl. I have more respect for a coach being his own GM than making some other guy be his errand boy.

Speaking of disposable coaches, bye, Bob Hartley! Congratulations on being Coach of the Year because you got a bad roster to be good*, then your bad roster was bad again and now you're fired.

*you may not have done this

1) It's kinda scary as hell that there is now a NHL GM that is the same age as me. Like how the hell is a 26-year-old supposed to communicate with some of the fossils that run the league? Can you imagine 26-year-old John Chayka calling up 73-year-old Lou Lamoriello and making a trade? Who is this guy to be negotiating contracts with veteran free agents? It's a choice by the Coyotes, that's for sure.

2) I don't know if Bob Hartley was fired more because the Flames missed the playoffs or if they wanted to make that aggressive push on Bruce Boudreau. Which is kinda dumb. I mean yeah there's some attractive young offensive players there for Bruce, but unless the money incentive is higher than the rest of the coaching openings, why would he choose Calgary?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't like the way the position of general manager in the NHL has devolved from "head of personnel/hockey operations" to "head coach's office bitch," which, make no mistake, is what this is. Apparently a bunch of Coyotes investors fell in love with Dave Tippett and decided that he had to come out on top of any power struggle with Don Maloney, so here we are with a glorified intern and a head coach with "more say" in hockey-ops. Now I'm no fan of Don Maloney the way some people were, I always thought he was just good at finding plugs for a system based around shot-blocking, but I still have to believe the Coyotes are better off with him at the top of the chain of command than they are with Dave Tippett.

I'm just glad they didn't fire Tippett. No one was expecting the Yotes to finish above the bottom 3 this year and they managed to maintain a playoff spot for quite a while (yes, it was the Pacific, but still).

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

2 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I'm just glad they didn't fire Tippett. No one was expecting the Yotes to finish above the bottom 3 this year and they managed to maintain a playoff spot for quite a while (yes, it was the Pacific, but still).

Yeah, they have a ton of rookie talent and more on the way, so they didn't totally suck. But you can't honestly think that a crusty old grump like Tippett is the right guy to lead Domi, Duclair, Strome, Dvorak, Perlini, OEL, and whoever else is coming up.

37 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, they have a ton of rookie talent and more on the way, so they didn't totally suck. But you can't honestly think that a crusty old grump like Tippett is the right guy to lead Domi, Duclair, Strome, Dvorak, Perlini, OEL, and whoever else is coming up.

Well not entirely the best person, but he's done a good enough job so far. We'll see in a year or two.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I see an interesting contrast in styles there - Boudreau's known for coaching fast-paced, offensive teams that can't get it done in the playoffs, while the Wild are known more as a hard-nosed defensive team that can't get it done in the playoffs. At the very least, it should make for a few interesting seasons there.

Saw this coming. People actually thought Boudreau would go from living in southern California to living in Ottawa? Not if he can help it.

Archived