Cosmic

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

He apparently (according to General Fanager) has a no-movement clause, which means he can't be exposed in the expansion draft. They hashed the rules out a few weeks ago.  I was all ready to post that his salary is only $1M for the last four years, and that he would join Pronger on the Coyotes until I found that out.

Well, I assume the player can waive that no-movement clause if they so choose.

And, I wouldn't put it past a team/player to get creative when it comes to expansion drafts and no-movement clauses.  Hossa could, theoretically, waive his NMC and be selected by Las Vegas.  But, Chicago and Las Vegas have an agreement in place where Las Vegas will draft Hossa, then trade him right back to Chicago for future picks and/or prospects.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Well, I assume the player can waive that no-movement clause if they so choose.

And, I wouldn't put it past a team/player to get creative when it comes to expansion drafts and no-movement clauses.  Hossa could, theoretically, waive his NMC and be selected by Las Vegas.  But, Chicago and Las Vegas have an agreement in place where Las Vegas will draft Hossa, then trade him right back to Chicago for future picks and/or prospects.

You're right. I forgot it's the NHL.

I think those kinds of deals, along with the ol' "trade x for y and the tacit agreement that you won't poach z" deal, are hallmarks of every league's expansion drafts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think those kinds of deals, along with the ol' "trade x for y and the tacit agreement that you won't poach z" deal, are hallmarks of every league's expansion drafts.

That's how the Sharks kept Nabokov in 2000.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

How would Las Vegas drafting Hossa only to trade him back help the Blackhawks get out from under his cap hit, though? That would put them right back under it and cost assets!

40 minutes ago, the admiral said:

How would Las Vegas drafting Hossa only to trade him back help the Blackhawks get out from under his cap hit, though? That would put them right back under it and cost assets!

It wouldn't take the financial burden off the Blackhawks.  Which was never my argument....I was just simply pointing out that no-movement clauses can be waived by players for whatever reason.

As for losing assets...it would ultimately benefit Chicago if an expansion team drafts Hossa with the intent on dealing him back.  Chicago can put another player on their blocked list at the beginning, and I assume can place more players on that blocked list once a player off their roster is taken (in this case, Hossa).  Las Vegas is going to be in the business of acquiring a lot of players to fill out farm teams and future draft picks.  They know they won't be getting any team's best prospects, so they'll be wanting to acquire plenty of mid-range, not-as-prized prospects in hopes of developing them.  Chicago, as a thank-you for not taking one of their unprotected players they covet, hands Las Vegas a list of available players and says "Pick any two, they're yours. And a couple of mid-level draft picks, too."

Okay, I see where you're going. Even with the ramifications for the Hawks' roster, I kind of want to see an expansion draft next summer just for the sheer zaniness of the horse-trading. As long as Quebec City is involved, I'll be able to...wait for it...deal.

NHL Network and Sportsnet would definitely have it, NBCSN probably not, TVA definitely if they have the proper occasion to.

Re:  Worcat - I'm sorry if my bullcrap touched home, but I was just busting your chops and if you had more of a sense of humor, it'd be easier to laugh it off and move on.  I get it, you don't really have much of a sense of humor that I can relate to, and it's a waste of time to keep it up when obviously it's just going to make both of us look bad.  Sorry to pollute the thread.  I still hope you step on a Lego, however.  (<--- joke, used to break tension)

Plus I think I actually bring quite a bit to this forum, even in spite of myself sometimes.  I don't expect you to appreciate that, but that's your call.

And hey, while I'm not a fan of the Predators being unwelcoming to Blackhawks fans in their home arena, I WELCOME Predators fans to this thread.  Join us.  You can even be from the Nashville area, we're not going to screen you or anything.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

37 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Re:  Worcat - I'm sorry if my bullcrap touched home, but I was just busting your chops and if you had more of a sense of humor, it'd be easier to laugh it off and move on.  I get it, you don't really have much of a sense of humor that I can relate to, and it's a waste of time to keep it up when obviously it's just going to make both of us look bad.  Sorry to pollute the thread.  I still hope you step on a Lego, however.  (<--- joke, used to break tension)

Plus I think I actually bring quite a bit to this forum, even in spite of myself sometimes.  I don't expect you to appreciate that, but that's your call.

And hey, while I'm not a fan of the Predators being unwelcoming to Blackhawks fans in their home arena, I WELCOME Predators fans to this thread.  Join us.  You can even be from the Nashville area, we're not going to screen you or anything.  

I would have appreciated your sarcasm or sense of humor more if we actually had a history of exchanging punches in the past on a more personal level. Prior to your post now (which I appreciate), It felt very personal for no reason. Again, I appreciate you posting this and don't worry, I don't have any legos to step on.

Good luck on future en-devours with your podcast. If you want to give me :censored:, that's fine. Leave it to sports related, not family. Atleast not yet.

Go Blues 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 hour ago, cmm said:

The Islanders' offseason has gotten off to a bad start, Howie Rose is stepping down from the TV booth.

His decision or that of the new owner?

That sucks so much. Along with Pat Foley, one of the few NHL announcers with the requisite cachet and temperament to tell it like it is when necessary. 

This is really a loss of two great Islander broadcasters, because without Howie taking games off, it means no more Jiggs McDonald, too.

Corey Perry has now won the World Championship, World Junior Championship, Olympic Gold, Memorial Cup, and Stanley Cup. Only other player to do that was Scott Neidermayer. Scotty also won a World Cup, so if Perry gets put on the final Canada roster, he could attempt to match Scott again.

Corey Perry could have also scored some goals in the playoffs so he wouldn't have had to play in the World Championships, so... woo hoo. Congrats...

Also Randy Carlyle is supposedly in the serious running for the Ducks job again, so... kill me.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived