Cosmic

On 5/28/2016 at 1:10 PM, the admiral said:

P.K. Subban to the Hawks

I'll be in my bunk.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm just commenting on the generally xenophobic nature of Quebecois culture. My dad's family's all Montreal Jews, so I think I have some authority to speak on that. And there's Jacques Parizeau's "money and ethnic vote" remark. Also the Parti Quebcois Values Charter that called for the banning of religious garments, but gave a pass to Roman Catholicism. It's a trend is what I'm saying.

I'm more than willing to concede it's something that the younger generations of Quebecois have moved past, but historically speaking? It's been something of a constant.

A lock? No, but that's only because there are so many talented Canadian options at defence. Jake Muzzin is not one, however.

Nope.

So you just ASSUME that because he didn't make the team, it's because of his race? Sure, Jake Muzzin is not a spectacular player, but Subban didn't have that great of a year this year. (NONE OF THE HABS DID). But just because he didn't make the team doesn't mean you can blame it on race. Racism happens everywhere, and to everyone, but it's not the only reason anything happens. 

And no, it's more of a coincidence... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not assuming anything. I'm recognizing a pattern of treatment Hockey Canada specifically and the Canadian hockey establishment in general has shown P.K. Subban for years now. 

Yet no one is saying anything about Hudler being snubbed by Czechia year after year

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I don't know if it's better or worse, but I think the "good Canadian boys" hate personality way more than they hate the color of someone's skin. Jarome Iginla didn't have these kinds of problems... probably because he was as emotional as a library card.

16 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I don't know if it's better or worse, but I think the "good Canadian boys" hate personality way more than they hate the color of someone's skin. Jarome Iginla didn't have these kinds of problems... probably because he was as emotional as a library card.

PK's own brother didn't either

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

For those wondering who wants to get out of paying real salary in 2017, Marc Savard's dead cap space is now assigned to the Devils.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hockey players are so good at playing the game properly now.  The last three seasons are three of the four lowest power play opportunities since they started keeping records in the 60s.  There are fewer power play goals now than at almost any other time since expansion.

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Hockey players are so good at playing the game properly now.  The last three seasons are three of the four lowest power play opportunities since they started keeping records in the 60s.  There are fewer power play goals now than at almost any other time since expansion.

Certainly the decline in the number of goons, which means less goonery from everyone has contributed to this. 

Apropos of nothing, here's a Blue Jackets gif I stumbled across:

wilson-check.gif

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Certainly the decline in the number of goons, which means less goonery from everyone has contributed to this. 

That's something I didn't think about.  I feel like a lot of the penalties that the goons would have gotten were offsetting fighting majors or similar roughing penalties in scrums, so they wouldn't have contributed to power play opportunities as much as you'd think, given their huge PIM totals.  I don't remember a lot of times where Rob Ray would take a stupid penalty and put the Sabres on the PK.  Some people argue that the decline in goons has led to the rise of the stupid Sean Avery type censored.gifhead player, so it's possible that the lack of enforcers has either had no effect on PPO, or maybe even caused more power plays because players aren't afraid of slashing a star.  I think you'd have to look at the numbers more closely to say for sure one way or the other.

I do know that more power plays would mean more goals, and I see a lot of penalties I wish were called when I watch an NHL game.

On 6/3/2016 at 5:46 AM, Still MIGHTY said:

The most notable would be Kessel and Subban, but I'd say Kessel looks perfectly fine right now and Subban's been snubbed by the same group before. So who knows on that front.

World Cup of Hockey Live Draft Look-In:

philkessel.jpeg

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

10 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Mike Yeo to take over for Hitchcock in 17-18.

Interesting.  He failed in Minnesota, but I don't think anyone could succeed with that roster.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Interesting.  He failed in Minnesota, but I don't think anyone could succeed with that roster.  

Failed is so relative. Sure, to an extent, all 29 teams who don't win the cup "failed," I totally concede that point. There's also an element of looking at in regards to where you were for the season. 

With the exception of the shockingly good '03 showing, the Wild missed the playoffs in 8 of their first 11 seasons. First round eliminations in their other two. 

Yeo took them to three consecutive playoffs in four chances, and got them to the second round i two (where they lost to the Modern-Era Blackhawks both times, a tough playoff team any year).

He pulled some crazy voodo that turned Dubnyk into an elite goalie. A goalie who, just one season prior, was pulling 4th place duties for Nashville, behind Hutton and Mazanec. Sure, some of the magic wore off this season, but that second-half turnaound for the Wild is still one of the more impressive stories from that season.

I wouldn't say he outright failed. There was some good stuff in there. Did the Wild wind up with a better coach? I say yes, but Yeo wasn't all bad for Minnesota.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Failed is so relative. Sure, to an extent, all 29 teams who don't win the cup "failed," I totally concede that point. There's also an element of looking at in regards to where you were for the season. 

With the exception of the shockingly good '03 showing, the Wild missed the playoffs in 8 of their first 11 seasons. First round eliminations in their other two. 

Yeo took them to three consecutive playoffs in four chances, and got them to the second round i two (where they lost to the Modern-Era Blackhawks both times, a tough playoff team any year).

He pulled some crazy voodo that turned Dubnyk into an elite goalie. A goalie who, just one season prior, was pulling 4th place duties for Nashville, behind Hutton and Mazanec. Sure, some of the magic wore off this season, but that second-half turnaound for the Wild is still one of the more impressive stories from that season.

I wouldn't say he outright failed. There was some good stuff in there. Did the Wild wind up with a better coach? I say yes, but Yeo wasn't all bad for Minnesota.

Given the roster, the Wild should at least have found a way to open up the playoffs at home once.  In fact, they looked at times like a team that would.  But they always went on a six-week streak where they just cannot play.  Every year.  To what degree that's on Yeo, I don't know.  But the Wild, since the Parise/Suter signing have been a disappointment to say the least. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Can't wait for next season when anytime the Blues lose more than two in a row for "fans" to call for his head. Basically the coaches will be on a short leash like Allen and Elliott are to each other. FML. Hopefully Yeo can add some of his style to the team and not 100% adopt Hitchcock's defense first attitude.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived