A new terrible buffalo logo

48erhater

54 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I'm confused. I thought that they were the "Red Storm". But they were the rebels? What am I missing? And if they were indeed the Red Storm, why change that?

Did you see the logo? 

It's not that bad.  But even if it is that bad, it's still the biggest logo upgrade in sports history.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On April 12, 2016 at 7:58 PM, mjd77 said:

What was wrong with Rebels in the first place?

On April 12, 2016 at 8:01 PM, 48erhater said:

PC Police. 

I was curious about the Dixie name and Rebels mascot so I did a little wiki research. I don't think it is fair to call this PC, this school has what seems to be a shameful history and honestly, if true both names should be changed.

Between 1963 and 1993, the institution increased their Confederate identity: parade floats adopted themes from the Old South, students appeared in black face and Confederate costumes, horseman carried the Confederate flag at school events; mock slave auctions were held, and the yearbook staff depicted a scalping with someone dressed as a Native American and another person hanging from a tree.

Combine that with their LDS founding and the racism present in that church's leadership (I'm not stating this to start an argument or have a debate, look up some of Brigham Young's comments if you don't know.) I think Dixie needs to start over.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 4/13/2016 at 5:57 PM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I'm confused. I thought that they were the "Red Storm". But they were the rebels? What am I missing? And if they were indeed the Red Storm, why change that?

Originally, before the move to Division II (They were a Junior College at that time) they were the Rebels. Unfortunately, the nickname carried some heavy duty baggage thanks to what kcchiefsfan mentioned. Before the switch to Red Storm, they toned down the negative aspects of the Rebels nickname.

Then came the switch to Red Storm... which was pretty made panned by a lot of people. In fact, in the beginning of this process, 7 out of 10 students hated the nickname in a survey done in 2014... The final choices were Trailblazers, Raptors and Sun Warriors. Trailblazers won the vote, so there you go.

• 5 months later...
On 12/4/2016 at 1:43 AM, 48erhater said:

Dixie State University is changing their nickname again. They went from Rebels to Red Storm. Now they are changing to the Trailblazers. On the news website it's already been voted as bad by the public.  http://fox13now.com/2016/04/11/dixie-state-university-unveils-new-brand-mascot/Cfy8V3XUsAA-wao.jpg

logo8681.bmp

Colors and the jagged edges, yeah, they borrowed some

21 hours ago, JPDesign said:

Basically every sports logo designed in the last 10 years has jagged edges. It's a stretch, man.

1219px-Buffalo_Sabres_Logo_1996-2006.svg

trailblazers.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

Let's see...

Similar outlining, Dark nose area, red eyes, white chin hair tuft, Buffalo is white, horn and head positioning look similar too... It's more of a stretch to say they don't look similar.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

It basically looks like a strange hybrid of the Sabres' buffaslug logo with their previous red/black logo. Definitely takes a lot of elements from both logos. The body shape resembles the buffaslug, while the buffalo's head resembles the red/black Sabres logo.

So it's derivative, potentially infringing on the Sabres' copyrights, and terribly awkward looking (especially with all that white space). I don't care what it's replacing - this is not a well-designed logo.

Archived