Breese Stevens Stadium Concept-MAJOR UPDATE 4/27

mcrosby

Here in Madison we've got a spectacular stadium, opened in 1926, called Breese Stevens Field. The field is a historic site, is owned by the city, and just recently went under the operations umbrella of the company that runs the Madison Mallards (at another city owned field). The Mallards updated Warner Park into a top of the line minor league stadium, and I've got fingers crossed they'll do the same at Breese. 

The idea is that the Mallards (who have made the Northwoods League into one of the best collegiate leagues in the nation, and the Mallards at the top of that list) can start a mid to upper level soccer club that can fill a 10,000+ seat stadium.  The current stadium seats up to 4,000 and can hold ~7,500 for concerts. The concept would hold ~11,000 and ~13,000 for on field/concert events. 

This was my first Google Sketchup project, so I hope you enjoy. I did what I could to keep the current structure as untouched as possible, due to it being a registered historic site. 

breese-700px.jpg

oHIQaWc.png

Mnyu7nc.png

GLdezI0.png

New concourse: houses concessions as well as locker rooms.

The raised open corners would have shrubbery/small trees because why not?

upEW2bF.png

New press box and box seating. 

Us8H1Ia.png

View from the upper-deck beer garden. The Mallards have had great success with their "Duck Blind" beer garden in right field.

o0ccYst.png

The stadium borders are the same as the current borders, taking up one city block. 

gas7Sk1.png

I can't really fault this in any way. It's really well thought out and equally well executed. You've also maximised the potential capacity in such a small space. It's hard to believe that this is your first sketchup concept, so great job.

A few questions...

• I'm guessing it's all seated? ...and do all seats follow the same bench style seats that are currently installed IRL?  (obviously not including the beer garden sections)
  • What are the local parking and transport links like? Would you make any changes or just use the current facilities as they are?
  • Are all areas of the stadium open to everyone or do you plan to have any segregations in place. E.g. for away supporters or also for any dedicated student/ultra style sections?

EDIT: Have you thought about trying to put your model into Google Earth at the exact location to see how it looks?

My first nitpick is that you think the Mallards are better than the Bullfrogs. :P

Secondly, I've driven past the field a few times, I like your update, but I'm not sure if I like the taller side with the street and building across the street. From the outside, that may end up being very dark at the time of day in that first picture, when ideally you'd want to use that sunlight to enhance.

14 hours ago, Commodore Crablegs said:

yaaaaaay more sketchup stadiums, sketchup posse be growin! Headbang.gif

i'd put more lux boxes in the opposite grandstand, the blank areas between the decks seem to be screaming for them.

I wanted to keep that side of the stadium as simple as possible. It is alongside E. Washington Ave, one of Madison's major motorways and it would be great to be able to see a full stadium as you drive by. 

11 hours ago, marble21 said:

I can't really fault this in any way. It's really well thought out and equally well executed. You've also maximised the potential capacity in such a small space. It's hard to believe that this is your first sketchup concept, so great job.

A few questions...

• I'm guessing it's all seated? ...and do all seats follow the same bench style seats that are currently installed IRL?  (obviously not including the beer garden sections)
  • What are the local parking and transport links like? Would you make any changes or just use the current facilities as they are?
  • Are all areas of the stadium open to everyone or do you plan to have any segregations in place. E.g. for away supporters or also for any dedicated student/ultra style sections?

EDIT: Have you thought about trying to put your model into Google Earth at the exact location to see how it looks?

The area around here is quickly growing up. There were a bunch of vacant used car lots and manufacturing buildings in the area that are now becoming multi-use high rises. Because of the proximity to residential areas the city has been pushing hard for parking structures in any new building. I'll upload another couple of pictures with current and proposed buildings so you can see it in its surroundings, including the many parking structures. The Madison Metro Bus hub is located about a block away, so bus service from just about anywhere is very easy. 

The stadium would be bench style seating throughout, with bar tables/standing room in the beer gardens. 

My original thought was that the 'wall' of 3 levels would be for the local high school teams that play there, the supporters of the home soccer club, with the possibility of splitting the wall in two for the annual East-West Madison football games. 

Thanks for you great analysis!

4 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

My first nitpick is that you think the Mallards are better than the Bullfrogs. :P

Secondly, I've driven past the field a few times, I like your update, but I'm not sure if I like the taller side with the street and building across the street. From the outside, that may end up being very dark at the time of day in that first picture, when ideally you'd want to use that sunlight to enhance.

Well, the Mallards are better than the Bullfrogs (Big Top Events owns both, runs Warner in Madison and is now running Breese Stevens as well).

The tall end will eventually be across the street from a new multi-use building, 10 stories high on E Washington and down to 4 stories on E Mifflin. The mixed use will provide both parking and dining for the area. Original proposals for the building were for a music venue, but they've fallen through time and time again. I feel like this would be the best space for a 'tall end' of the stadium, and it preserves the rest of the structure in the most complete way possible. 

6 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I wanted to keep that side of the stadium as simple as possible. It is alongside E. Washington Ave, one of Madison's major motorways and it would be great to be able to see a full stadium as you drive by.

wat. :mellow:

naww man, heres in red what i was talking about

madison.jpg

red - lux boxes.

giving it more thought, a few more options:

blue - embedding sideline boxes into the top back of the stands

purple - gen admission dugout style area like at old comiskey:

6486618427_4f3a8789cb_z.jpg

2 hours ago, StaatsBrett said:

Will you  be  willing to  post the model of the  stadium to the warehouse 

Possibly. I'd like to do as much on my own from other's suggestions before doing that though. 

Have any ideas for me?

Where would you put a bigscreen? I was originally going to put a scoreboard where one beer garden is and a big screen where the other is. But it's Madison, and a minor league stadium without a beer garden isn't one I want to be at. 

11 minutes ago, StaatsBrett said:

Can this place host baseball  looks like it  could  with  moving  stands

It has in the past. They would put home plate in one corner of the old grandstand, so right field would be very, very short and left would be very long unless a temporary fence was put in. 

0507001653-l.jpg

1 minute ago, darkpiranha said:

SportsLogos has got stadium fever!  

Love it.  I'm going to have to do it at some point now...

Sketchup is pretty easy to pick up on. I found (accidentally) that working your way part of the way through a project and then deleting the whole thing and starting from scratch works great. It's harder to make updates than it is to make it right the first time. 

I'm no expert, this being my first project, but I figure we'd be in the same skill level to start. 

31 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Sketchup is pretty easy to pick up on. I found (accidentally) that working your way part of the way through a project and then deleting the whole thing and starting from scratch works great. It's harder to make updates than it is to make it right the first time. 

I'm no expert, this being my first project, but I figure we'd be in the same skill level to start. 

The discussions and videos make it look deceptively easy.  I'm just not good with generic "learning" about a program.  I need to have a specific project to do trial and error on and make mistakes and to force myself to find the correct solutions.  I'm ramping up my "Dice Racing League" series, and there could definitely be famous tracks that could be created to act as my test projects.  

Pretty big changes in this latest update. I wanted to add to the beer garden/standing room only area and add what could be a 7-days/week restaurant. Let me know what you think. 

I've currently only added it to one of the two corners, awaiting your wonderful C&C.

NDmxxth.png

Archived