Jump to content

Beginning of the End: NBA owners approve ads on uniforms


CS85

Recommended Posts

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-15/nba-owners-said-to-approve-ad-patches-on-jerseys-for-first-time

 

National Basketball Association owners approved advertising on uniform jerseys for the first time in league history, according to people with direct knowledge of the decision. The ads, in the form of 2.5-by-2.5-inch patches, will debut in the 2017-18 season, which coincides with Nike replacing Adidas as the league’s official uniform supplier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Pabig said:

It is not the end of anything. Sports is a business and the teams need to make money. There is no problem with Ads whatsoever.

It is the end of uniform asthetics not being bludgeoned by intrusive ad spaces. Of course teams need to make money but now the money is colliding with the concept of uniform asthetics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Acceptance of these tiny ads is virtually acceptance of ads of any size. 

 

American pro sports teams will eventually lose all identity.  We are staring down the barrel of a gun and the trigger has been pulled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It is the end of uniform asthetics not being bludgeoned by intrusive ad spaces. Of course teams need to make money but now the money is colliding with the concept of uniform asthetics.

Hate to break it to you but everything about a uniform today is basically an ad. The name of the team or the city is an ad. The logo of the jersey manufacture is an ad. The league logo on the jersey is an ad. Even the name of the player and their number can be considered an ad. Lets just wait and see what these things look like before we start jumping off a bridge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Acceptance of these tiny ads is virtually acceptance of ads of any size. 

 

American pro sports teams will eventually lose all identity.  We are staring down the barrel of a gun and the trigger has been pulled.

CS85....this is the FINAL time we will put on a suicide watch. : )

Just kidding....We have a private line just for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the point of designing major sports teams uniforms now the identity of the team is going to be lost in all the advertising and because of it the advertisers will dictate the design to coincide with their logos its bad enough in Australian sports and obviously in nascar. I design uniforms professionally for art not billboard spaces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imo ads on jerseys can only work in one sport: soccer.  That's because most of the time there are no front numbers and the team logo/wordmark is small and in a corner (that dates back to waay before ads first appeared on soccer kits).  And even in soccer, it only looks good if there's one ad on the jersey.  Leagues where they allow the teams to have 2, 3, 4, etc. ads on the jersey look horrible.

 

Ads on jerseys in any other sport look totally out of place because your attention wants to be drawn to the front number and logo/wordmark.  Having a random ad stuck on a jersey will distract your attention from it and make it look horrible.

 

At this point it's inevitable that this will spread to the NHL now.  Better get my jerseys now before they start getting defaced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

The logo of the jersey manufacture is an ad.

Except during David Stern's tenure, the league didn't allow manufacturer logos on the jerseys.

 

4 minutes ago, jujubeans said:

As Joe Buck would say "A disgusting act."

 

It looks bad enough on soccer jerseys as it is.

And at least there's a valid excuse in soccer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Hate to break it to you but everything about a uniform today is basically an ad. The name of the team or the city is an ad. The logo of the jersey manufacture is an ad. The league logo on the jersey is an ad. Even the name of the player and their number can be considered an ad. Lets just wait and see what these things look like before we start jumping off a bridge.

No and no, all those things you mention represent a city or a player, that has something to do with the sport, the thing you are sitting or standing and watching. An ad for a product or service has nothing to do with the aforementioned  things

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pabig said:

It is not the end of anything. Sports is a business and the teams need to make money. There is no problem with Ads whatsoever.

 

There is absolutely a problem with ads.  Even setting aside aesthetic grounds, this is a troubling development.

 

Even if half the revenues are pooled, this will further the gap between teams.  Don't tell me that the Utah Jazz or Memphis Grizzlies will be able to command the same prices as the Lakers or Knicks.  So this becomes one more revenue stream that some teams will benefit from more than others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:
27 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Hate to break it to you but everything about a uniform today is basically an ad. The name of the team or the city is an ad. The logo of the jersey manufacture is an ad. The league logo on the jersey is an ad. Even the name of the player and their number can be considered an ad. Lets just wait and see what these things look like before we start jumping off a bridge.

 

No and no, all those things you mention represent a city or a player, that has something to do with the sport, the thing you sitting or standing and watching. An ad for a product or service has nothing to do with the aforementioned  things

 

Agreed.  There is a huge difference between one of the related parties advertising its own involvement and taking money from an outside entity advertise an unrelated product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Hate to break it to you but everything about a uniform today is basically an ad. The name of the team or the city is an ad. The logo of the jersey manufacture is an ad. The league logo on the jersey is an ad. Even the name of the player and their number can be considered an ad. Lets just wait and see what these things look like before we start jumping off a bridge.

Ok yes but you don't see a huge difference between the "ads" of the team name, the city name, the league logo, the manufacturer of the jerseys and then something like a bank, soft drinks, an insurance company, a car dealiership, etc? Please don't tell me those things are one in the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.