Beginning of the End: NBA owners approve ads on uniforms

CS85

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

No and no, all those things you mention represent a city or a player, that has something to do with the sport, the thing you sitting or standing and watching. An ad for a product or service has nothing to do with the aforementioned  things

That would be true, if it weren't for say....Jordan....that is all I have to say and people know who and what I am talking about. He was a marketing tool all by himself, and spawned a new generation of players that their name and number became an ad for themselves and their SPORT.

And it wasn't just Jordan.....Fab Five.....Georgetown....Magic/Bird....You mention these to people and they automatically go to their number, uniform, sport, city, school, brand. Your avatar on this board is an ad for yourself. I'm not saying that every player in every sport is a ad unto themselves, but if you are good enough at what you do then you will be an ad......Messi.

5 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

I think people are overreacting to this. Ads on jerseys in soccer are pretty widely accepted...in time they will be in the NBA as well. It's a no-brainer for any league, money-wise. 

Again, this is not soccer. And no-brainer ? yes, the NBA sure lacks one

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Ok yes but you don't see a huge difference between the "ads" of the team name, the city name, the league logo, the manufacturer of the jerseys and then something like a bank, soft drinks, an insurance company, a car dealiership, etc? Please don't tell me those things are one in the same.

Its all a product....every bit of it. True, though, its not like in Japanese baseball with teams like SoftBank Hawks, or Nippon Ham Fighters but there are teams that have inspiration/relations to a specific line of profession, manufacture, and even product: Detroit Pistons, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Detroit Vipers, Detroit Neon. That's off the top of my head.

9 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

I think people are overreacting to this. Ads on jerseys in soccer are pretty widely accepted...in time they will be in the NBA as well. It's a no-brainer for any league, money-wise. 

Soccer uniforms looks terrible I'd prefer seeing a team logo and wordmark so I can identify with the team instead of some company logo that is an eye sore polluting my eyes I'm there to support the team not the 3rd wheel company who has no real interest in the team.

Next phase will be sports betting ads we get enough of them here in Australia about half a dozen or so every ad break and during broadcasts of the games when they cut to halftime betting odd changes as the results of the games hav progressed and changed its annoying as hell not to mention a real social problem.

1 hour ago, Pabig said:

It is not the end of anything. Sports is a business and the teams need to make money. There is no problem with Ads whatsoever.

The NBA just signed a huge television deal. They don't need you as their champion.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

It's cute you think the Sun-Times has that kind of money. They can't even afford their own printing press.

I was thinking...in 2020 will the Times still be around? I do like the Univ. of Chicago logo on it. Very nice.

4 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

Ads on jerseys in soccer are pretty widely accepted...in time they will be in the NBA as well.

This downward shifting of what is considered normal is the problem. 

Think of Henry Aaron. You cannot help but see in your mind's eye the word "Braves", since that word was present on the front of his uniform in almost every picture of him. Think of George Brett. You're undoubtedly now seeing the word "Royals". If you think of Michael Jordan or of Larry Bird, you'll see the word "Bulls" or the word "Celtics" in your head. It is literally impossible not to have these associations.

Now think of David Beckham. What word do you see? Perhaps "Sharp", perhaps "Herbalife". Think of Thierry Henry. You're now seeing "O2".  Kobe just retired.  Whenever we think of him, we'll see the word "Lakers".  But, after Kevin Durant and Steph Curry retire, our memories of those players will be polluted by the presence of the names of the companies that ultimately buy advertising space on their teams' jerseys.

Companies pay big money for this sort of placement; and they do this for one reason: because it works. They get placement of their names not only on the shirt, but also in our minds, in our memories. For the rest of our lives.

The disgust expressed over this is entirely appropriate. This is nothing short of a cultural crime.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yes, it is, but it's also (sadly) inevitable. We all knew this day would come.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Pabig said:

It is not the end of anything. Sports is a business and the teams need to make money. There is no problem with Ads whatsoever.

Teams make enough money, and sure as hell get enough public handouts.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's cute you think the Sun-Times has that kind of money. They can't even afford their own printing press.

I could reference Demolition Man movie with Taco Bell winning the fast food restaurant wars but I was just using local concepts to just illustrate a point. Further more this would be phase 2 with betting using the NRL as an example here.

2022nbauniforms.jpg

17 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Its all a product....every bit of it. True, though, its not like in Japanese baseball with teams like SoftBank Hawks, or Nippon Ham Fighters but there are teams that have inspiration/relations to a specific line of profession, manufacture, and even product: Detroit Pistons, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Detroit Vipers, Detroit Neon. That's off the top of my head.

Ironically, the Pistons manufacturer in question wasn't from Detroit....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I absolutely GUARANTEE that the league will not put gambling sponsorships on the jerseys.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Pabig said:

I know! I mean what with revenue sharing from lucrative national tv deals, RSNs paying money hand over fist for broadcast rights, massive amounts of merchandising, rising ticket prices, and exclusive and monopolistic sponsorship partnership deals, how on earth can we expect major league sports teams to make any money? Why it's a wonder they haven't even just collapsed now!

Archived