Beginning of the End: NBA owners approve ads on uniforms

CS85

9 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

When I watch a CFL game, I am more thrown off by the number of ads on the playing field than the jerseys. You would think it wouldn't seem so odd since the NHL has had ads on the ice surface for so long, but they just stick out so much more than on the ice.

Maybe because they stick out more on the green background than white? I know that doesn't make much sense but adds on football fields do look odd to me as well. Especially when it's a solid block of color with the add inside.

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

HUGE difference.  With a car, there's no competing brand.  The car itself is a representative of the manufacturer, so it's natural for the logo to appear there.  With a jersey, the entire point of the jersey is to represent another brand (the team.)  THe manufacturer's logo has nothing to do with the team's, and is just slapped on to their jersey.  They're really not comparable situations at all.

I see your point. But so far I haven't seen  a manufacturer logo that has bothered me on a jersey so I'm fine with it.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, ICTknight said:

Maybe because they stick out more on the green background than white? I know that doesn't make much sense but adds on football fields do look odd to me as well. Especially when it's a solid block of color with the add inside.

I see your point. But so far I haven't seen  a manufacturer logo that has bothered me on a jersey so I'm fine with it.

It is the same with hockey. A dicks sports and sticks out worse than, say, a Scotiabank ad. 

Speaking of which, to prove a point, compare(I'll get pics when I get home) the marlies home and away Jersey with the Scotiabank ad. Looks better on white than blue. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

7 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

It probably was. Jeanie Buss has been openly against ads in the few interviews I've heard bring it up. I also remember her saying that she has no intentions to put ads on the unis if it was an option to keep their look classic. I'm not totally sure of my memory on that last part.

Right, all the classic teams should have said no to this idea. Surprised Knicks, Heat and Celtics voted yes,

Most of the discussion that I have seen here and elsewhere has used the slippery slope argument. Tiny ads have been approved now, but in a short amount of time, the NBA will look like Soccer or NASCAR. I don't see this happening. The NBA has studied this for years. They understand the value of their primary brands and would never displace them for a corporate name. The NBA All Star jerseys this year will remain the model now and for the foreseeable future. In a few years, we will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Everyone loves a roundel.

1 hour ago, KJTALBOT said:

Most of the discussion that I have seen here and elsewhere has used the slippery slope argument. Tiny ads have been approved now, but in a short amount of time, the NBA will look like Soccer or NASCAR. I don't see this happening. The NBA has studied this for years. They understand the value of their primary brands and would never displace them for a corporate name. The NBA All Star jerseys this year will remain the model now and for the foreseeable future. In a few years, we will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Yeah, something terrible happens: "Don't worry, you will get used to it"

It´s a terrible argument

19 hours ago, ICTknight said:

While im not a fan of the NBA this still sucks because I know that the rest of the big 4 are watching this closely. I have never had a problem with the manufacturers logo on jerseys. I see it like how car manufacturers place their logo on their cars. I dont really see a difference. The CFL was the first league that I started watching that had sponsers on the jerseys and I got used to it pretty quickly. It is to the point that I couldnt name the sponsers on Calgary or Hamilton's jerseys (the 2 teams I watch most). Im hoping that there is a similar effect when NFL, NHL, and MLB do it.

Never thought about it but you're right. Watch a lot of CFL myself and I actually forget the ads are there while watching live most of the time since they are small enough but it's the still shot pictures where they stick out like a sore thumb. Sad to say it's inevitable for the rest of North American sports to follow with the NBA jumping in but let's all hope it's done in the best taste possible. 

4 hours ago, KJTALBOT said:

And your reason for believing this is.....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

18 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

It'll be interesting to see how many of the ad/sponsers 2k and EA get right on the videogames.

Or how "unauthentic " it becomes when a team switches sponsor or for some reason they don't have the rights and put a generic one there.

KISSwall09.jpg

21 minutes ago, hormone said:

Or how "unauthentic " it becomes when a team switches sponsor or for some reason they don't have the rights and put a generic one there.

This hasn't been a problem with the FIFA games.

We have to fight this stuff every step of the way to keep professional sports something we can still (mostly) enjoy.  

replacing twenty-year old stadiums (Turner Field)

ads on the court 

ads on the jerseys 

restrictions on trying to resell your own tickets how you want (most notably, Timberwolves)

championship games moving to cable only 

"operating subsidies" paid to teams after taxpayers fund stadium construction (Coyotes and Pacers, among others)

disputes between video providers and broadcasters where fans miss historic moments (like Vin Scully's final season) 

Their appetite for more, more, and more will never stop...what's next?

all games pay per view

subscription only radio broadcasts, even for local radio 

renaming of the teams after the companies (a la Japanese baseball) 

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

On 4/15/2016 at 1:57 PM, BlackBolt3 said:

The not-so-bad-but-still-kinda-sucks fact is that the ads won't appear on most retail jerseys. But there is something very sleazy about this whole thing.

You'll have to pay extra for that 

On 4/16/2016 at 8:33 PM, DiePerske said:

I wish the retail ones would have the option, add the sponsor patch for like 5$ like soccer does.

Yes I am the type of perfectionist thay wants my jersey to look how they do on the court, so no thanks if they dont come with them.  

Ill wont buy one without the choice. 

I do skip YouTube ads, by the way. 

Flashback to 20 years ago and people were worried that they'd start implanting tracking devices in everyone - but why would they need to do that now when we each pay a hundred bucks or so a month to carry our own? Why put ads on uniforms? Because people will pay EXTRA to buy them! 

It's all in the sales pitch!

4 hours ago, ohryan said:

Flashback to 20 years ago and people were worried that they'd start implanting tracking devices in everyone - but why would they need to do that now when we each pay a hundred bucks or so a month to carry our own? Why put ads on uniforms? Because people will pay EXTRA to buy them! 

It's all in the sales pitch!

Exactly right, "they say jump, you say how high"

It´s time to start the reactor and free yourself !

R2vv2xs.gif

Archived