Recommended Posts

As I've made clear for some time, I'm a big fan of football and I'm currently living in Japan. To my surprise, I found that there is a big following of American football here and there are LOTS of colleges and universities that play football here. There is even a pro league and a championship game that pits the college champion vs the pro champion. It's call the Rice Bowl.

 

I thought I would take the opportunity to share some of the cool logos and uniforms of all the teams from Japan. I'm going to start out going league by league and providing the top tier or division 1 teams first, then work my way down to any other teams that may be interesting to share.

 

I hope you guys enjoy it and maybe it might open you up to learning more about American football here in Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty cool. Seems like the equipment managers don't know how to tilt a helmet logo properly though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

That's pretty cool. Seems like the equipment managers don't know how to tilt a helmet logo properly though. 

I doubt they even have equipment managers, probably just done by the players. That's what my school did but we also knew how a helmet logo was suppose to look and they didn't end up looking that jacked up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, someone has to say it.

If this is a Japanese League, filled with Japanese players, playing in front of Japanese fans.

Why are the helmet logos, wordmarks etc. all in ENGLISH.

 

I get that most if not all Japanese children learn English, so the majority of Japanese can probably read and write English at least elementarily, but make the league your own and have Japanese style lettering/logos.

 

It would be very unique to see a whole new set of Football Helmets, rather than a league with helmets that look like they can all be found at local High Schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ritsumeikan Panthers have an interesting relationship with the Oklahoma Sooners.  Head coach Isao Hashizume is a Bob Stoops protege and was embedded with the Sooners throughout their 2000 national title season.  The Panthers have more than a few national championships under Hashizume.

 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-sooners-bob-stoops-japanese-protege-coach-isao-hashizume-060215

 

 

That said, I remember maybe 25 years ago on ESPN when William & Mary went over to Japan to play their College All Stars.  I think the average Japanese lineman was maybe 200 lbs, and they just got dummied.  I think some of the better high school teams in the county would beat them pretty handily.  The average DL on Ritsumeikan last season is 236 lbs while the OL averaged 245.  I think the Tongans on Euless (TX) Trinity's lines typically average about 275.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MC Buffalo said:

OK, someone has to say it.

If this is a Japanese League, filled with Japanese players, playing in front of Japanese fans.

Why are the helmet logos, wordmarks etc. all in ENGLISH.

 

I get that most if not all Japanese children learn English, so the majority of Japanese can probably read and write English at least elementarily, but make the league your own and have Japanese style lettering/logos.

 

It would be very unique to see a whole new set of Football Helmets, rather than a league with helmets that look like they can all be found at local High Schools.

 

Nothing new with this observation--Japanese baseball teams, pro and college, use English in their team logos, uniform logos and wordmarks, helmet logos, player names.

 

NPB: http://npb.jp/teams/

Tokyo Big 6 (college): http://www.big6.gr.jp/team/index.html

Kansai Big 6 (college): http://kansaibig6.jp/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dont care said:

I doubt they even have equipment managers, probably just done by the players. That's what my school did but we also knew how a helmet logo was suppose to look and they didn't end up looking that jacked up

 

They do have equipment managers, but they are all student volunteers. Only the head coach and MAYBE one of the assistant coaches get paid. Everything else is volunteer. As a general rule of course, but it varies from team to team too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dont care said:

japanese uniforms are on par with American pop warner uniforms

But they are are much better than most college uniforms now. Simple, clean, and the manufacture logo dose not intrude on the uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.