Minnesota North Stars Rebrand Petition

VancouverFan69

I don't see the problem with splitting "franchise history" and "city history". As long as you keep them distinct, I don't see the problem. That Ottawa won all these cups, but the (new) Senators haven't. 

Minor league cities do this a lot because teams come and go so often. Banners for the Erie Blades, Erie Panthers, and Erie Golden Blades hang in the Erie Otters arena. Erie has won those titles, and the Otters have won titles, but nobody confuses the two. Nobody says "look at all the titles the Otters have!" 

Same could be done in Winnipeg, they could hang a banner for the Winnipeg Victorias and I don't think anybody would bat an eye, nor would anyone confuse them with the current team. Vancouver could do it for the Millionaires, and they play dress-up as the Millionaires, but nobody thinks "hey, this is a Canucks throwback". We all know the levels of separation.

Unless it's specifically done, from the outset, to say "hey, that franchise stuff stays here, this is just a hiatus!" like what happened in Cleveland, then we blend it together like they wish, though I think most people know the truth.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

This analogy is silly, so I'm going to tell my own version of it to reflect what actually happened.

The husband (Minnesota) and the wife (Stars franchise) were happily married for several years, and they even had a few kids (franchise records, players, etc). However, towards the later years of their marriage the husband was being neglectful of his family and ended up cheating on his wife for a younger girl he was flirting with instead (the Gophers). The wife filed for divorce, and took her kids with her to Dallas (new husband) who happily adopted his new stepchildren as his own. The ex-husband in Minnesota eventually married a new wife (the Wild), and now both families occasionally appear on the Jerry Springer show.

The North stars history began in

Minnesota and ended in Minnesota when norm green took the team to Dallas. 

Dallas is not the Dallas north stars. Dallas are the stars only. Dallas never used the name north stars and they never used the north stars N logo. The Dallas Stars have their own history and it began in 1993. Dallas can keep the stars name and their history from 93 and present. Dallas left the north stars logo and name behind in Minnesota when they decided to move.There is no reason why Minnesota can't be called the north stars and Dallas be called the stars. The North stars name and logo was branded around minnesotas state name which is known as the North Star state. 

The Dallas Stars branded their image around the texas western theme. When you think of the Dallas Stars you think of a Texan lone star.  When you think of the North stars you think of Minnesota because Minnesota is the North Star state. The Dallas Stars have their own history when they decided to change the teams name, logo, and concept of the name. The Dallas stars can keep their name but we fans in Minnesota want our north stars history and name back. 

8 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I guess I just feel the city/fans play a more vital part in a team (more so than any other corporations). 50/50.

They don't.  Not in America.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, Cameron said:

The Dallas stars can keep their name but we fans in Minnesota want our north stars history and name back. 

We fans aka 81 supporters of the petition. BTW I would just like to ask, why is this even a thread? The petition had a goal of 100 supporters, hardly anything major. Plus, it's not like if this petition had a much larger goal that was met, the NHL would do anything about it. People seem to not realize how petitions actually work, especially on change.org. The North Stars are never coming back as long as the Dallas Stars remain as a team. And why would they? The North Stars were basically embarrassed to be in Minnesota and ignored for lower-tier hockey. It's like asking the girlfriend you neglected into breaking up with you over 20 years ago to take you back. Not happening.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

6 hours ago, Cameron said:

The North stars history began in

Minnesota and ended in Minnesota when norm green took the team to Dallas. 

Dallas is not the Dallas north stars. Dallas are the stars only. Dallas never used the name north stars and they never used the north stars N logo. The Dallas Stars have their own history and it began in 1993. Dallas can keep the stars name and their history from 93 and present. Dallas left the north stars logo and name behind in Minnesota when they decided to move.There is no reason why Minnesota can't be called the north stars and Dallas be called the stars. The North stars name and logo was branded around minnesotas state name which is known as the North Star state. 

The Dallas Stars branded their image around the texas western theme. When you think of the Dallas Stars you think of a Texan lone star.  When you think of the North stars you think of Minnesota because Minnesota is the North Star state. The Dallas Stars have their own history when they decided to change the teams name, logo, and concept of the name. The Dallas stars can keep their name but we fans in Minnesota want our north stars history and name back. 

No, they didn't.

mike-modano-nhl-columbus-blue-jackets-dallas-stars.jpg

The Stars have always considered themselves a direct continuation of the North Stars. They have always honored the records, players, retired numbers, etc of the North Stars. It's the same team. Same franchise. The first uniform set the Stars used was essentially the exact same as the last few years of North Stars uniforms. To claim that the Stars abandoned the name/color/uniforms like the Avalanche or Coyotes did would be ignoring facts.

Stars01.png

NorthStars19.png.fa54b00d58c63a67d66c643

7 hours ago, Cameron said:

The North stars history began in Minnesota and

it continues in Dallas today.

Dallas is not the Dallas north stars. Dallas are the stars only. Dallas never used the name north stars and they never used the north stars N logo.

The name is basically the same. The logo, depicting a letter (or a bunch of letters) built around a slanted star is conceptually the same thing. The colours and uniforms, while varied over the last 23 years, are basically the same. They're not the "North" Stars, but they're still the Stars. It's the same team. They even have banners with North Stars logos in the rafters, as fillmont kindly pointed out.

Dallas left the north stars logo and name behind in Minnesota when they decided to move.

No, they took it with them. In fact, in their early years in Dallas they used exactly the same logo and uniform as they did in their final years in Minnesota. And again, they're still the Stars. It's not like they completely changed the name.

There is no reason why Minnesota can't be called the north stars and Dallas be called the stars.

Because it's a terrible idea. It's not even a Red Sox/White Sox thing where that has dinosaur era historical precedence. Right now, we'd be talking about two teams named the Stars, with logos, colours, and uniforms that are basically identical, in the same division, playing each other in the postseason. That does not work.

The North stars name and logo was branded around minnesotas state name which is known as the North Star state. The Dallas Stars branded their image around the texas western theme.

Again, it's fundamentally the same thing, tweaked to fit the new location. 

The Dallas stars can keep their name but we fans in Minnesota want our north stars history and name back. 

I get it, but, I'm sorry. It's been 23 years already. That's almost as long as the Stars were in Minnesota. You're not getting the North Stars back, because they still exist in Dallas. You have the Wild, which aside from the name (depending on how you interpret it, really) has an excellent identity in its own right. And the fact that Minnesota even has a new team is more that can be said than other ex-NHL locales that lost their old teams.

Let me ask you this; have you ever relocated? When you did, did you take all your possessions with you, or did you leave it all behind because it supposedly belongs to the city, state, and other people that live there? As for the Stars franchise history; it does not belong to Minnesota. It also doesn't belong to Dallas. It belongs to the Stars franchise, and only to the Stars franchise. If they ever move out of Dallas, they will again take everything with them, regardless of whether they remain the Stars, or the East Stars, West Stars, Super Stars, Power Stars, Star Bucks, Rats, whatever.

Speaking as a long-distance fan of another team; if you're really that hung up on the North Stars history, what's stopping you from remaining a fan of the franchise? Also, they didn't really achieve much of anything in Minnesota, so why would you want that back?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

29 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but there are several teams (Seahawks and Sounders here in Seattle alone) that are incredibly intertwined with their fans and city.

Except neither team was born from the community.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hawk's not wrong that there is a "different" connection between fans and teams than there is between other products/corporations and customers/public.  The above few posts are kinda splitting hairs.

But events are events.  The Sonics moved to OKC.  I wish they had not but they did.  The Browns moved to Baltimore.  (And I REALLY wish they had not, given what has happened)

What's more insulting than suggesting that OKC's franchise has a championship?  Trying to tell me that the Timberwolves have five NBA championships.  They don't.  Nothing, not even "official" whiting-out and replacing of history can change that the team that won those championships moved.  We can honor them, as can Seattle.  But the notion that the next Seattle NBA team, be it expansion or relocation, "won" that 1979 title is flat out preposterous.  The notion that someone on that team "may break Gary Payton's all-time franchise scoring mark" is equally preposterous.  Man, Kevin Durant sure is disloyal going to a new franchise after one year.

And if this becomes the norm, the real tragedy is that some franchises, officially speaking, will just cease to exist.  If Seattle gets a relocated team, that franchise will no longer exist, officially.  They will be "defunct."  (not to mention that the "old" Sonics stuff will be transferred to the new Sonics retroactively).  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

That's not true, both were completely born from the community. Neither would have come into existence if not for the community. That's especially true for the Seahawks and Sounders and Mariners.

The NASL, NFL, and MLB would not have set up shop if not for the fact that a lot of people lived there and it was an empty space on the map.  That's not the same thing.  That said, neither team borrowed from any existing local sports organization in setting itself up, so it is not like a European soccer team that started out as a community organization stocked with players from the community.

Today, we are all otaku.

6 hours ago, hawk36 said:

That's not true, both were completely born from the community. Neither would have come into existence if not for the community. That's especially true for the Seahawks and Sounders and Mariners.

And even if they were, they could be sold off to another owner who moves them to wherever he'd want to. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 4/20/2016 at 6:36 PM, hockey week said:

I don't see the problem with splitting "franchise history" and "city history". As long as you keep them distinct, I don't see the problem. That Ottawa won all these cups, but the (new) Senators haven't. 

Minor league cities do this a lot because teams come and go so often. Banners for the Erie Blades, Erie Panthers, and Erie Golden Blades hang in the Erie Otters arena. Erie has won those titles, and the Otters have won titles, but nobody confuses the two. Nobody says "look at all the titles the Otters have!" 

Same could be done in Winnipeg, they could hang a banner for the Winnipeg Victorias and I don't think anybody would bat an eye, nor would anyone confuse them with the current team. Vancouver could do it for the Millionaires, and they play dress-up as the Millionaires, but nobody thinks "hey, this is a Canucks throwback". We all know the levels of separation.

Unless it's specifically done, from the outset, to say "hey, that franchise stuff stays here, this is just a hiatus!" like what happened in Cleveland, then we blend it together like they wish, though I think most people know the truth.

Agreed.  Unless it's done like Cleveland was, handle it like the Jets did.  

I will say one silver lining of the whole Rams fiasco is that if St. Louis ever did get another team (in 20+ years or something) there would be no discussion of trying to trade for the Rams name or anything.  Even if they had moved to London or somewhere besides back to LA, no one around here would want that name back.  

And I don't think we'll hang a Super Bowl 34 Champions banner on National Hovercraft Rental Field either.  

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Minnesota Wild should be renamed the North Stars and use grey facemasks...wait

Their goalies should only use brown pads.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived