Minnesota North Stars Rebrand Petition

VancouverFan69

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, MC Buffalo said:

On this more direct issue. I thought Dallas dropped the ball when the North Stars relocated. I thought a natural progression from North Stars would have been to name the team the Dallas Lone Stars.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

I normally don't chime in on the whole relocation history thing but I feel that the team should be treated as an expansion team. Just like @hawk36said, the history should stay with the former city (for example, the Montreal Expos should retain its history). But the Minnesota North Stars issue is moot because too much time has passed.

I'd say just let Minnesota keep any history that happened in Minnesota. Anything that happened in Dallas, should be Dallas'.

At the very least, the history that happened in Minnesota should be shared. I see it as 50/50 between the franchise and the city when the history happened.

So should the Minnesota Wild hang Mike Modano in the rafters? (his number of course, not Mike himself).

doesn't make sense. Even though Minnesotans loved him when he started his career there. He has nothing to do with the Wild and it just seems like it would be out of place and even a little disrespectful to a guy like Mikko who has toiled for so long for the Wild.

39 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I'd say just let Minnesota keep any history that happened in Minnesota. Anything that happened in Dallas, should be Dallas'.

At the very least, the history that happened in Minnesota should be shared. I see it as 50/50 between the franchise and the city when the history happened.

How do you share it?  

"Remember that player that died on the ice in 1967; Bill Masterton?"

"Yeah."

"Who was he playing for that day?"

"The Stars and Wild."

The Wild can perhaps honor him.  (And Modano, as mentioned above).  The Timberwolves have a banner for MPLS Lakers in the Hall of Fame; but there is no claim that they and the Wolves are one in the same.  Somewhere in the arena, displays honoring "Minnesota NHL History" can share stories of Modano, Dino, Broten, Goldsworthy, the Stanley Cup Finals appearances, etc.  But it is either the Wild players or the Stars players that are on the franchise all-time stats list with them; not both.  I'd prefer it be the Stars players for the reasons some of us have discussed a bunch.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't think there is anything wrong with honoring past players who starred in an old city. Especially when all the games those players played for the team were in the old city. That's why a shared history is probably the best. Let the franchise honor the player but let the old city honor the player as their own too.

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I'll say it for the 100th time. Team history should start over when the team moves out of a region.

In fact, I'd say the LA Rams should let St. Louis keep their Rams history and Super Bowl and continue on from the time that the Rams left LA.

American  sports are not Euro sports, and for that, I am always grateful.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm of the opinion that a franchise history is the franchise history and no matter how you try to change it, you can't change history. The Oklahoma City franchise won the NBA title in 1979 while playing in Seattle, and no amount of revisionism can change that fact. If the Washington Nationals choose to honor the old Expos, that's their business, but as far as I am concerned, Gary Carter, Tim Raines, etc. played for the Washington Nationals franchise while it was located elsewhere. Whether the NFL recognizes it or not, Jim Brown played for the Baltimore Ravens franchise while it was located in Cleveland. Special allowances and league recognition doesn't matter, history is history.

Since this is sports I'm totally fine with changing history. For me if at least one(nickname, location) stays the same then the history stays. I can go case by case though. Cincinnati Royals history is with the kings now but if the NBA expanded to Cincinnati and they wanted to be the Royals I would be fine moving the history to the new team.

28 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Do European sports let the cities keep their history if a team moves? I wasn't aware of that.

Google Wimbledon AFC.

But more to the point, our traditions are completely different.  Most of our professional sports organizations don't have an ancestral tradition of being staffed by local, "hometown" players, so there was never this link to the community than you think there is.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The better question is why didn't they become the LONE Stars when they moved to Texas?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

We're almost there now

Men's Minnesota Wild Reebok White Premier Away Jerseyff_2424426_full.jpg&w=245

Men's Minnesota Wild Reebok Green Premier Alternate JerseyMen's Dallas Stars Reebok Green Premier Home Jersey

We're not talking about identities that are too far off. They certainly look like family to me. 

What, you think if the North Stars never moved, they would still be wearing the same stuff they wore in 1991? Why would they? Every other Class of 67 team has done other things. AT BEST they'd be rocking an early 70s jersey a la the Flyers, though it'd be far more likely that they'd be wearing something awful and toying with the idea of throwbacks like the Penguins, who have also gone through a plethora of looks. 

After all, the team was already in a process of rebranding and going with a dark, brooding, 90s look.

4920-92Bk.jpg

What people are asking for and what people really want are two different things. This mystery just needs to become a one-off or third jersey with the blessing of Dallas and be done with it

cmtwll8wcaalxwp-jpg-large.jpeg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

34 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

I'm of the opinion that a franchise history is the franchise history and no matter how you try to change it, you can't change history. The Oklahoma City franchise won the NBA title in 1979 while playing in Seattle, and no amount of revisionism can change that fact. If the Washington Nationals choose to honor the old Expos, that's their business, but as far as I am concerned, Gary Carter, Tim Raines, etc. played for the Washington Nationals franchise while it was located elsewhere. Whether the NFL recognizes it or not, Jim Brown played for the Baltimore Ravens franchise while it was located in Cleveland. Special allowances and league recognition doesn't matter, history is history.

Sorry but NO WAY. Seattle won the title in 1979, not Oklahoma City. Revisionist history to claim otherwise.

15 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

LOL, if by similar you mean they both use a shade of green and are in fact hockey jerseys.  That's about the only similarities. 

White: Green shoulder yokes with logos, lace-ups, two-tone collar, green hemline stripe, green stripe on each sleeve, two stripes on hemline, two stripes on sleeves

The greens are a bit more of a stretch, but in a league devoid of green jerseys, they look pretty similar. 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

4 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I'll say it for the 100th time. Team history should start over when the team moves out of a region.

In fact, I'd say the LA Rams should let St. Louis keep their Rams history and Super Bowl and continue on from the time that the Rams left LA.

This is nonsensical. It's the same team! And do you merge the Rams' St. Louis history with the Cardinals' St. Louis history? And how does any of this even account for the NFL Cardinals anyway? Three different markets, with one family owning them in all three. A team that, despite playing in a newer market now, still touts itself as the oldest team in the NFL, tracing its history back through to Chicago. And now you're going to chop that history up and graft the Rams' stint in St. Louis onto it just so St. Louis can "claim" a Super Bowl won by a team they didn't even care enough to support by the end?

Please.

Keep histories with the franchises.

29 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Sorry but NO WAY. Seattle won the title in 1979, not Oklahoma City. Revisionist history to claim otherwise.

You're misusing the term. It's revisionist to claim that the organization currently playing Oklahoma City didn't win the 1979 NBA title. True, they played in Seattle at the time. It's still the same franchise.

We've done this song and dance before though, so whatever.

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

The Stars have gone out of their way to honour their Minnesota history. They hang the banners. They honour the past. And the Dallas fans seem to appreciate it more than the Minnesota fanbase ever did when the team played there.

Look. Letting the Twin Cities keep the North Stars name (but not the records) would have worked if the team had completely re-branded upon leaving for Dallas. That didn't happen though. They kept the team identity intact. The first ever Dallas Stars set was almost identical to the last Minnesota North Stars set.

It's been over a quarter-century. Twenty-six years of the Dallas Stars honouring the legacy of the North Stars. While the Wild have done their own thing. It's too late to put together some belated "Cleveland Deal" just to appeal to old timers who get grumpy over the North Stars being gone. If enough old timers from Minnesota cared this much back in the day the team never would have left.

27 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Ah yes, Seattle, with their home-grown talent from Santa Clara, Iowa (2), Washington, Providence, Pepperdine, North Carolina, UNLV, Oregon State, Illinois Wesleyan, Creighton, Davidson, and Southern Cal.  Yeah man, that was Seattle's home-grown championship won on the back of that rookie from U-Dub.

Today, we are all otaku.

51 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

The better question is why didn't they become the LONE Stars when they moved to Texas?

8 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I believe that was the original plan, but Lone Stars is a terrible name for a multitude of reasons.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived