Minnesota North Stars Rebrand Petition

VancouverFan69

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While the idea of moving teams' histories is offensive, and while this petition is the work of one lone fan rather than the expression of a movement, perhaps the alumni game did stir up a new wave of North Star nostalgia; so maybe saying that it "started nothing" is a bit strong.

A kelly green and yellow (and maybe black) alternate (with a white shoulder yoke) for the Wild should be as far as it gets.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

It is funny...it is probably something intangible.  Winnipeg wanted the Jets.  Charlotte's NBA team flat out could not be embraced without being the Hornets.  I get a sense that Seattle would really like the Sonics name.  And yet I totally see St. Louis not clamoring for the Rams name.  Of course that is a baseball town.  The Rams are more secondary than the othe teams.

here, the terrible name may play a role, though I don't think people care a ton about that any more.  Sometimes I think it is the grea logo and uniforms.  They are nostalgia-instilling.

But much of that is when they have no team, and pushing for the new team to use the same name as the old team makes perfect sense, that's just a continuation, which everyone loves. The Hornets thing is terrible. There's no good explanation for that, and it mirrors the North Stars situation far too well.

But the Jets thing was going on for YEARS before the Thrashers moved there. I quote a joke posted in 2000, though I removed all the >>>s, because the internet has grown up a lot in the past 16 years

July 13 2000 at 7:07 PM

Two guys from Winnipeg die and wake up in hell. The next day the devil stops in to check on them and sees them dressed in parkas, mittens and bomber hats warming themselves around the fire.
> > >>
The devil asks them, "What are you doing? Isn't it hot enough for you?"
The two guys reply, "Well, ya know, we're from Manitoba, the land of snow and ice and cold. We're just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, ya know."
> > >>
The devil decides that these two aren't miserable enough and turns up the heat. The next morning he stops in again and there they are, still dressed in parkas, hats and mittens.
> > >>
The devil asks them again, "Its awfully hot down here, can't you guys feel that?"
Again the two guys reply, "Well, like we told you yesterday, we're from Manitoba, the land of snow and ice and cold. We're just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, ya know."
> > >>
This gets the devil a little steamed up and he decides to fix the two guys. He cranks the heat up as high as it will go. The people are wailing and screaming every where. He stops by the room with the two guys from Winnipeg and finds them in light jackets and hats, grilling walleye and drinking beer.
> > >>

The devil is astonished, "Everyone down here is in abject misery, and you two seem to be enjoying yourselves."
The two Winnipeg lads reply, "Well, ya know, we don't get too much warm weather up there in Manitoba, we've just got to have a fish fry when the weather's this nice."
> > >>
The devil is absolutely furious, he can hardly see straight. Finally he comes up with the answer. The two guys love the heat because they have been cold all their lives. The devil decides to turn all the heat off in hell. Icicles are hanging everywhere, people are shivering so bad that they are unable to wail, moan and gnash their teeth.
> > >>

The devil smiles and heads for the room with the two Winnipeg lads. He gets there and finds them back in their parkas, bomber hats, and mittens. They are jumping up and down, cheering, yelling and screaming like madmen.
> > >>
The devil is dumbfounded, "I don't understand, when I turn up the heat you're happy. Now it's freezing cold and you're still happy. What is wrong with you two?"
The Winnipeg boys look at the devil in surprise, "Well, don't ya know, if hell froze over that must mean the Jets moved back to Winnipeg and won the Stanley Cup."

http://www.network54.com/Forum/70087/message/963529651/Winnipeg+Jets+Joke+from+Phoenix+-(

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Just now, the admiral said:

LIES

I guess it would be hard to convince someone with a Homestar Runner pic that the internet has gotten better in any way...there just isn't enough burninating of the countryside these days.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The way I see it as a Wild fan, is...

• Dallas has the Stars, and the History and Record from the North Stars
  • Minnesota has the actual memories and feelings only made by seeing things in person from the NORTH Stars. 
  • Minnesota also has the Wild and all their memories and experiences.
  • Dallas "stole" "our" team, but it's over. We have the Wild now. 
  • All the Hatred towards the Dallas Stars, is pretty much the same as any other team, they just used to be here.

It's like our old Girlfriend (the Stars) Cheated on us with Texas, and even though some days we wouldn't mind having her back, most of the time we're pissed at her and Love our new Girlfriend (The Wild).

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

All I'm getting from this thread is that lots of people want to have sex with sports franchises.

The internet didn't get better, the rest of the world just got worse.

Considering rescinding this post.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

The way I see it as a Wild fan, is...

• Dallas has the Stars, and the History and Record from the North Stars
  • Minnesota has the actual memories and feelings only made by seeing things in person from the NORTH Stars. 
  • Minnesota also has the Wild and all their memories and experiences.
  • Dallas "stole" "our" team, but it's over. We have the Wild now. 
  • All the Hatred towards the Dallas Stars, is pretty much the same as any other team, they just used to be here.

It's like our old Girlfriend (the Stars) Cheated on us with Texas, and even though some days we wouldn't mind having her back, most of the time we're pissed at her and Love our new Girlfriend (The Wild).

Love the new girlfriend but not IN LOVE with her. Her radical feminist attitude is going with a bush-league name like "Wild" just because she can. She misuses the colours of red and green, just to attract the wrong attention. But she says that she loves you. Well, she has a very funny way of showing it.

The North Stars girl was the beautiful, loving, family oriented girl-next-door type. But sociopathic pervert Norm Green badmouthed you, the boyfriend, while at the same time, setting your relationship up for failure. He stole her natural beauty by giving her dull BFBS uniforms and not allowing her to move into your spanking new home at the time, the Target Center - right in downtown Minneapolis. He destroyed your relationship with her and he almost destroyed her new relationship in Dallas until Tom Hicks came to the rescue. 

Now, she wants to come home. She's willing to leave her Stars life in Dallas. But she realized how much she really is in L♡VE with you. She sees that you are putting on a fake front with 'Ms' Wild. With her woman's intuition, she sees that something is missing in your relationship. You're settling and that's cheating your true happiness. She promises to spoil you rotten if you take her back. We all make mistakes and she made a big one. The future Mrs. North Stars also wants to deliver as many Stanley Cups as possible to the Minnesota sports family. 

Take her back. 

1 hour ago, Norva said:

This analogy is starting to get a little too real for some people...

Yeah, I think I'm done with this thread now... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

11 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:
  • It's like our old Girlfriend (the Stars) Cheated on us with Texas,

She cheated on you because Mike Minnesota neglected and ignored her and spent more time with that hoochie down the street known as Georgina Golden Gopher. So you can't blame Mary North Star for going elsewhere for love and it just so happened Dave Dallas showed her the love and respect Mike Minnesota didn't.

The Catch of the Day!

10 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Love the new girlfriend but not IN LOVE with her. Her radical feminist attitude is going with a bush-league name like "Wild" just because she can. She misuses the colours of red and green, just to attract the wrong attention. But she says that she loves you. Well, she has a very funny way of showing it.

The North Stars girl was the beautiful, loving, family oriented girl-next-door type. But sociopathic pervert Norm Green badmouthed you, the boyfriend, while at the same time, setting your relationship up for failure. He stole her natural beauty by giving her dull BFBS uniforms and not allowing her to move into your spanking new home at the time, the Target Center - right in downtown Minneapolis. He destroyed your relationship with her and he almost destroyed her new relationship in Dallas until Tom Hicks came to the rescue. 

Now, she wants to come home. She's willing to leave her Stars life in Dallas. But she realized how much she really is in L♡VE with you. She sees that you are putting on a fake front with 'Ms' Wild. With her woman's intuition, she sees that something is missing in your relationship. You're settling and that's cheating your true happiness. She promises to spoil you rotten if you take her back. We all make mistakes and she made a big one. The future Mrs. North Stars also wants to deliver as many Stanley Cups as possible to the Minnesota sports family. 

Take her back. 

1. Love is love, and I for one enjoy the Wild. So do most people in Minnesota.

2. Nope.

aame049.jpg

3. I wouldn't call it settling at all. The Wild have a great identity (albeit one slightly let down by that terrible name), with a strong primary logo and a fantastic color scheme (one that is a bit more "Minnesota-y" than kelly/yellow/black ever could be).

4. See OnWis97's posts for why that won't happen.

5. Minnesota Wild and Dallas Stars forever! Minnesota North Stars (nee Wild) and Dallas Stars/Lone Stars/crummy replacement name that doesn't have a cup tied to it never!

You sir, are delusional. All because less than 100 people signed a change.org petition, you are willing to make generalizations about an entire fanbase. Let them love the Wild, because hey, love is love.

On April 21, 2016 at 3:45 AM, fillmont said:

No, they didn't.

mike-modano-nhl-columbus-blue-jackets-dallas-stars.jpg

They have always honored the records, players, retired numbers, etc of the North Stars. It's the same team. Same franchise. The first uniform set the Stars used was essentially the exact same as the last few years of North Stars uniforms. 

Stars01.png

NorthStars19.png

Some really good stuff here.  As a lifelong resident of either North Dakota or Minnesota, I have yet to hear of a fan of the team who referred to them as anything other than the "North Stars."  No Minnesota fan I knew in the 1970's thru today ever called them "Stars" for short.

The logo and jersey changes to "Stars" set off all kinds of chatter up here that Norm Green was planning a move to Dallas at some point.  Fans absolutely detested the change.

The banners pictured above weren't hung from the rafters in Dallas until a couple of seasons ago.  For a good portion of the last twenty or so years, those numbers were all on one banner tucked into the corner somewhere.  Dallas did everything it could to pretty much pretend it was an expansion team and ignored its history until the past few seasons. 

14 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

The logo and jersey changes to "Stars" set off all kinds of chatter up here that Norm Green was planning a move to Dallas at some point.  Fans absolutely detested the change.

Easy enough to see that, but the "A" is also forming an arrow pointing North. Perhaps the designer felt no need to include the extra word to the mark.

Far as I'm concerned, all signs point to that being little more than a progression of the North Stars brand. It just so happens to be what they took with them to Dallas.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

30 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

The original plan was to move the team to Anaheim and become the Los Angeles Stars. Dallas only came into play when Disney was awarded an expansion franchise. 

The banners pictured above weren't hung from the rafters in Dallas until a couple of seasons ago.  For a good portion of the last twenty or so years, those numbers were all on one banner tucked into the corner somewhere.  Dallas did everything it could to pretty much pretend it was an expansion team and ignored its history until the past few seasons.

That's demonstratedly false. The team has always recognized that it was a continuation of the North Stars franchise. They've never denied it. No team, aside from the Flames, has been as open about recognizing their pre-relocation history. 

Also, according to the Mothership the "ST^RS" logo had been in use in some form since 1990 at the earliest. It was being used in promotional materials while the team was still wearing the N-Star jerseys. Looks like they intended to rebrand to that, relocation or no.

tywwlt6y4govl5zhh5ynj8dkp.gif

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

1. Love is love, and I for one enjoy the Wild. So do most people in Minnesota.

2. Nope.

aame049.jpg

3. I wouldn't call it settling at all. The Wild have a great identity (albeit one slightly let down by that terrible name), with a strong primary logo and a fantastic color scheme (one that is a bit more "Minnesota-y" than kelly/yellow/black ever could be).

4. See OnWis97's posts for why that won't happen.

5. Minnesota Wild and Dallas Stars forever! Minnesota North Stars (nee Wild) and Dallas Stars/Lone Stars/crummy replacement name that doesn't have a cup tied to it never!

You sir, are delusional. All because less than 100 people signed a change.org petition, you are willing to make generalizations about an entire fanbase. Let them love the Wild, because hey, love is love.

I heard the podcast with Lou Nanne from last week. Everybody he talks to, talk about the North Stars and not the Wild. When the Twin Cities' ESPN radio station did a survey on what name was preferred, North Stars or Wild, the vote count was 44-ZIP North Stars by the end of the hour. Minnesota is "The North Star State". One can be an Av(Avalanche). One can be a Bolt(Lightning). One cannot be a "Wild".

Therefore, we'll agree to disagree. 

Archived