A Question for Premier League Fans

Mitch B

Why don't some of the top teams from parts of the British Isles other than England (i.e. Scotland) play in the Premier League?

I understand the need for self identity and determination, but would it not be tempting for teams like Celtic and the Rangers to play against some of the best competition in the world? ⚽️

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Because they're different countries, and it's the way FIFA wants it. And the EPL wouldn't really want any other teams than Celtic and, once they return to the premiership, Rangers.

There are teams in Wales that play in England, but that's because Wales is small and their league just isn't capable of supporting a major professional league.

Same argument used for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver being in MLS.

The Welsh clubs are longstanding members of the Football League - Swansea City for example were a founder member of the Third Division back in 1920, and Cardiff City were elected to the Second Division in the same year. In fact, there were also a number of other Welsh clubs who joined the League at that point in time. Back then, and earlier, it was easier for clubs in the south of Wales to play fixtures against neighbouring English sides rather than clubs in the north of Wales, and so they became integrated into the English system.

Rangers and Celtic have both expressed an interest in the past in either joining the English system, or being part of a larger 'British' league - it's not something I can see happening, though. Their main motivation isn't for purposes of competition, but financial.

2 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Jaffa wrote,"Ranger and Celtic have both expressed an interest in the past in either joining the English system, or being part of a larger 'British' league - it's not something I can see happening, though. Their main motivation isn't for purposes of competition, but financial."

As an outsider, I could see a larger British league being interesting.  I'd like to see how a team like Celtic could run with the likes of Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool on a regular basis, but I would think many EPL purists would see such a move as diluting a system they enjoy as is.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

11 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

As an outsider, I could see a larger British league being interesting.  I'd like to see how a team like Celtic could run with the likes of Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool on a regular basis, but I would think many EPL purists would see such a move as diluting a system they enjoy as is.

I think that the Scottish and Welsh FAs might fear an erosion of their independence, whilst the English won't want to have to share any of their immense riches.

At one stage Wales had six Football League clubs (Cardiff ,Swansea,Newport ,Wrexham,Aberdare and Merthyr ) but currently has only three.

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

1 hour ago, Jaffa said:

I think that the Scottish and Welsh FAs might fear an erosion of their independence, whilst the English won't want to have to share any of their immense riches.

This is probably closer to the truth.  It's why the other constituent UK countries didn't contribute to the UK football team at the London Olympics, they didn't want FIFA getting the idea of forcing unification.  

5 hours ago, Jaffa said:

The Welsh clubs are longstanding members of the Football League - Swansea City for example were a founder member of the Third Division back in 1920, and Cardiff City were elected to the Second Division in the same year. In fact, there were also a number of other Welsh clubs who joined the League at that point in time. Back then, and earlier, it was easier for clubs in the south of Wales to play fixtures against neighbouring English sides rather than clubs in the north of Wales, and so they became integrated into the English system.

Rangers and Celtic have both expressed an interest in the past in either joining the English system, or being part of a larger 'British' league - it's not something I can see happening, though. Their main motivation isn't for purposes of competition, but financial.

Am I the only one that finds it strange that Celtic would want to be a part of a 'British' league?

A lot of the supporters of that club have a very big anti-British ideology (pro-Yes during the referendum & pro unification of Ireland) so would they even be okay with that kind of thing? 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

1 hour ago, Nyk33 said:

A lot of the supporters of that club have a very big anti-British ideology (pro-Yes during the referendum & pro unification of Ireland) so would they even be okay with that kind of thing? 

SfF58MN.jpg

There was recent (couple years now) chatter of Rangers & Celtic being transferred.  Both the EPL & SPL I believe poured water all over that.  The EPL didn't want to compromise, & the SPL would've been d.o.a.

Besides, both Rangers & Celtic have much greater continental prospects remaining in the SPL.  They should prefer being CL & Europa regulars rather than fighting the mega bucks top tier of EPL for a league title.

Having said that, I do wish that there were much more frequent 'home nations'(?) competitions between both clubs & country in the UK.  England playing Scotland should not be a rarity.  At least Rangers & Celtics' B squads could host those of some EPL clubs, what's to lose.

I don't know too much about it, yet I'd at least hope their national youth squads would play one another on the regular.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The Home Nations U23 teams routinely play each other, with the exception of England.  A Home Nations or Commonwealth tournament would be fun to see at least once. 

It would be fun to see a soccer/football version of the Six Nations, which would need to be expanded to seven because of the two Irish associations. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The historical background is that there wasn’t this huge gulf between English and Scottish football (on the whole) way back in the 1890s when all these things were settled. When the Football League was established, it was deliberately made the Football League — not the English Football League — because the founders wanted Scottish clubs to join.

But they didn’t, and only seemed to give a :censored: once the money in English football and the quality of it grew that much higher. Funny how that works.

6fQjS3M.png

There was a British Home International championship  for 100 years up until the mid 80's when England and Scotland decided that Wales and Northern Ireland didn't supply strong enough opposition - the last winners? Northern Ireland!

On 4/24/2016 at 5:18 AM, WelshSteeler said:

At one stage Wales had six Football League clubs (Cardiff ,Swansea,Newport ,Wrexham,Aberdare and Merthyr ) but currently has only three.

There is one English club that plays in Scotland - Berwick Rangers, who play in League Two. They are just south of the border, and transport and finance wise it is simpler to play north of the border than travel south for long away trips.

Gretna, before they joined the Scottish League, played in the English pyramid system but the current club ,Gretna 2008,play in the Lowland League.

Archived