My Adidas CFL Redesign

Batgrenade1

With a release date set for the official CFL Adidas uniforms, I've decided to redesign the league. Every team has at least 1 present (former?) uniform altered in some way. The template didn't include editable socks, and in an attempt to get this out as soon as I could, I just left them as is. Assume the socks would match the undershirt. 

BC Lions
BC Home.pngBC Road.pngBC Third.png

This is a combination of eras for the Leos. They return the the late 1990s / early 2000s silver helmets and pants, but take inspiration from the past in the jerseys. The orange with black number is a nod to the inaugural look for the team, and the sleeve striping is a modernization of their 1960s design. The alternate uniform is an all black look that is based off the popular set the Lions have worn the past few seasons, but with traditional striping to give it a retro feel as well.

Calgary Stampeders

CAL Home.pngCAL Road1.pngCAL Road2.pngCAL Third.png

The Stamps kept their home uniform almost identical to their previous look, only swapping the sleeve logo out for their alternate logo and changing their italicized font to a more traditional one. The road uniforms see a return of the red helmet. In fact, the away uniforms are now primarily white and red with only hints of black trim. Like the Lions, Calgary went with an all black alternate uniform after the popularity of their previous one. The alternate horse in horseshoe logo makes an appearance on the helmet.

Edmonton Eskimos

EDM Home.pngEDM Road.pngEDM Third.png

The defending Grey Cup champion Eskimos used the occasion to simplify their look. The home uniform switches to a more minimal striping pattern, and the road uniform ditches the green side panels, as well as the green helmet and pants that went with the previous look. The green helmets and pants would find a new home in the team's alternate uniform that features a less than appealing yellow jersey.

Saskatchewan Roughriders 

SAS Home1.pngSAS Home2.pngSAS Road1.pngSAS Road2.png

The Riders are looking to bounce back from a sub par season, and their new look is a great first step. The side panels were removed, and horizontal sleeve stripes were introduced. The white helmets were ditched, but the Riders still have monochrome or green on white options available at home and on the road. Saskatchewan did not unveil an alternate uniform, but team management said the throwback uniforms worn for the last handful of seasons should be "expected to make an appearance" this season. 

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

WPG Home1.pngWPG Home2.pngWPG Road1.pngWPG Road2.png

The Bombers could very well win the league re branding with this set. The team completed it's throwback trend (started with the logo in 2012) by returning to royal blue and vibrant gold. The jersey font changes, as well as the striping pattern which has a classic feel. Like their neighbours to the West, Winnipeg did not unveil an alternate uniform, but have asked the fans (*cough*, you guys, *cough*) to design one for the team to break out next season. 

Toronto Argonauts

TOR Home1.pngTOR Home2.pngTOR Road1.pngTOR Road2.pngTOR Third.png

With their move into BMO Field complete, the Argos make some changes for the 2016 season. The early mid 1990s full Argonaut logo returns, but this time devoid of teal. The stripes move back to the shoulders and are similar to the 2005-2011 look. The home and away sets are otherwise the same as the previous look for Toronto. A vintage inspired powder blue alternate jersey was introduced as well. 

Hamilton Tiger Cats

HAM Home1.pngHAM Home2.pngHAM Road1.pngHAM Road2.pngHAM Third.png

With the rest of the league going retro, the Ti Cats took a huge risk and modernized their look. The concept is still the same, but traditional stripes on the jerseys and pants were replaced by tiger patterned stripes. The alternate uniform even has the tiger stripes on the helmet (as well as the tiger head logo making it's helmet debut). The jersey in the alternate set has a US college feel to it with the horizontal stripe through the chest. 

Ottawa RedBlacks

OTT Home.pngOTT Road1.pngOTT Road2.pngOTT Third.png

While the team's name is still.... well, not good, the same cannot be said about the new uniforms. The plaid stripes are now on every jersey and each pair of pants as well. To ensure that they are the RED blacks and not the BLACK blacks, the facemask, home uniform socks, and away jersey numbers, are now red.

Montréal Alouettes

MTL Home.pngMTL Road.pngMTL Third.png

The Alouettes completely overhauled their look after it remaining the same for the past decade. In a ying-yang blend of retro and modern, the Als welcome back red and white as the lone primary colours, as well as the wing on the helmets. While blue can only be found as a trim colour in the main set, Montréal's new alternate jersey is blue, very blue. It is a tribute to the province of Québec and will be worn for the team's home opener.

Well, this was my quick attempt at a re designed CFL. I'd love to hear what you all think! 

I'd suggest using 2 numbers on the front so that we can see the different number styles much better. A 0 on every team doesn't allow them to stand out. You may want to use the original adidas Techfit template since it will allow you to show off the shoulders more, or even possibly Chris Maurer's PSD templates on Mockup Arena so that you can show off the socks. I'm really glad to see a lack of adverts even though we know they'll be on the finished product.

Montreal - Pretty bland. They look like a mix between Philadelphia and Oregon. I like the idea I'd just expect them to take the wings off their alternate helmet and work with those. They would really be best with red and royal blue remaining.

Winnipeg - the W looks so good on the sleeves. Sitting by itself in the front it reminds me of high schools that wanted to put a logo on the neck and put it below the yoke instead.

Edmonton - I like the home uniforms but I think they should toss the green shoulders. It's never been a good look for them.

Ottawa - I'd like to see plaid in there somewhere but this is a good look for them.

Toronto - Classic look and a good look for them.

Hamilton - I'd add the helmet stripe to all of their helmets.

Calgary - The road set reminds me of Nebraska's one year uniforms and that is a good thing here.

BC - Great look on all three versions of the kits.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd suggest using 2 numbers on the front so that we can see the different number styles much better. A 0 on every team doesn't allow them to stand out. You may want to use the original adidas Techfit template since it will allow you to show off the shoulders more, or even possibly Chris Maurer's PSD templates on Mockup Arena so that you can show off the socks. I'm really glad to see a lack of adverts even though we know they'll be on the finished product.

Montreal - Pretty bland. They look like a mix between Philadelphia and Oregon. I like the idea I'd just expect them to take the wings off their alternate helmet and work with those. They would really be best with red and royal blue remaining.

Winnipeg - the W looks so good on the sleeves. Sitting by itself in the front it reminds me of high schools that wanted to put a logo on the neck and put it below the yoke instead.

Edmonton - I like the home uniforms but I think they should toss the green shoulders. It's never been a good look for them.

Ottawa - I'd like to see plaid in there somewhere but this is a good look for them.

Toronto - Classic look and a good look for them.

Hamilton - I'd add the helmet stripe to all of their helmets.

Calgary - The road set reminds me of Nebraska's one year uniforms and that is a good thing here.

BC - Great look on all three versions of the kits.

In hind sight, a zero was not the best idea I've had.... as far as the template, I spent a solid half an hour looking for something that I liked, and this UA one was the only one I found. I appreciate your comments as well! And the RedBlacks do have plaid on all their uniforms, it may be hard to see, but the red stripes on the jerseys and pants are a plaid pattern.

Archived