USC Trojans Logo

hettinger_rl

I'm getting a strong Michigan State Spartans/San Jose State Spartans vibe.  Looking at USC's history of logos, the Trojans don't wear face-covering masks and helmets.  It's all open-faced.  It seems like Spartans are depicted as having the face protection.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I'm getting a strong Michigan State Spartans/San Jose State Spartans vibe.  Looking at USC's history of logos, the Trojans don't wear face-covering masks and helmets.  It's all open-faced.  It seems like Spartans are depicted as having the face protection.

Thanks for the response! My own research has shown that what USC has been using are more indicative of Macedonian or Roman helmets that would have been around after the fall of Troy. Trojan helmets were actually very similar to Greek helmets of the same era (Corinthian) as the empires were in the same region. One of the main (or maybe mane) differences is that the Trojans were horse lovers (Trojan Horse Story) and so they added long "tails" to their helmets.

Here are some of my reference photos:

77.png 15aecb3084bd31cd286d85cb082a0d99.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I decided it looks a little stagnant, so I went back to the drawing board (literally) and re-configured it. I went with a circle compositional shape and gave it more attitude. Just need to decide on position:

AWMTrojanB.pngWMTrojanC.png

BWMTrojanD.pngWMTrojanE.png

Just for comparison here is the Senator's logo with the USC "Trojan". (The Senator is modeled after Roman Senators)

y8ri08olp3dshhbzezrs.gifvs x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

I know the point is moot now, but I just feel like an upper level educational institute should look like what they want to represent. Although they are in LA and are a prestigious film school, so the "facts" might not matter as much as the product. :P

SJSU changed to be more accurate and MSU did as well:

82823411983.gif<>2616.gif   x5fd60co5fhlp1n9tkfd.gif<>hkweef6xfjiqbsyf49tvf2t68.gif

So I don't think this is as much of a jump as it seems:

SCal2.png<>  yTrojan2.png    Helmet2.png<>Helmet1.png

I don't care for either of USC's Trojan logos so I like what you're doing here. It looks much better now that you got rid of the white outline. I think if you kept it as a pure silhouette it could be applied to different colored backgrounds easier simply by inverting the colors, but at the same time the subtle shading in the lower part of the plume adds a lot of nice character. The lighting on the helmet is a little confusing yet, but I see you've posted the final version.

My favorite thing about this is how "wild" the plume is, especially in the updates with the tail wrapping forward. In that sense, it looks very different than Michigan State's simple smooth silhouette.

On 4/29/2016 at 10:51 AM, hettinger_rl said:

Final version:

zTrojan3-1WM.pngzTrojan2-1WM.png

I like the left one, and IMO it looks better horizontal than angled downward.  Great update though.  The plume is pretty awesome, as noted by jaha.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 4/30/2016 at 6:35 AM, jaha32 said:

I don't care for either of USC's Trojan logos so I like what you're doing here. It looks much better now that you got rid of the white outline. I think if you kept it as a pure silhouette it could be applied to different colored backgrounds easier simply by inverting the colors, but at the same time the subtle shading in the lower part of the plume adds a lot of nice character. The lighting on the helmet is a little confusing yet, but I see you've posted the final version.

My favorite thing about this is how "wild" the plume is, especially in the updates with the tail wrapping forward. In that sense, it looks very different than Michigan State's simple smooth silhouette.

Thanks! I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Archived