Mike Tirico leaving ESPN for NBC: Who replaces him?

DCarp1231

News broke yesterday that ESPN personality Mike Tirico will be leaving for NBC soon. Tirico has most notably commentated for ESPN's Monday Night Football alongside the always colorful Jon Gruden. Now the question is who replaces him? Could it be the return of Jaws to the booth? Maybe another veteran of ESPN football coverage? I'll give out a few options from within... Brent Musberger, Chris Fowler, Trey Wingo (personally I would love this), Chris Berman (please no), Steve Levy, Jay Harris. Hell, maybe they go outside the company and look for talent at FOX, NBC, CBS/NFL Network.

1 hour ago, generalshepherd141 said:

I'm hoping for Gus Johnson...most enthusiastic announcer you'll ever know.

If only Johnson didn't have that pesky little problem of being under contract with a different company.

Right now, the rumor is that Sean McDonough will replace Tirico on MNF. 

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

News broke yesterday that ESPN personality Mike Tirico will be leaving for NBC soon. Tirico has most notably commentated for ESPN's Monday Night Football alongside the always colorful Jon Gruden. Now the question is who replaces him? Could it be the return of Jaws to the booth? Maybe another veteran of ESPN football coverage? I'll give out a few options from within... Brent Musberger, Chris Fowler, Trey Wingo (personally I would love this), Chris Berman (please no), Steve Levy, Jay Harris. Hell, maybe they go outside the company and look for talent at FOX, NBC, CBS/NFL Network.

I've never heard Jay Harris call a game and only recall Trey Wingo call golf during The Open Championship, so elevating them to play-by-play for ESPN's highest rated show is a non starter.

Berman does the opening MNF doubleheader, but Countdown IS his show until he wants to leave or diabetes takes a foot.

As currently mentioned in Sports Media thread (hint hint), Brad Nessler would be most likely since he's called NFL for them before and was radio voice of the Vikings years ago, but it seems he is headed to CBS.

Fowler loves college football and has other hosting duties for tennis (ESPN still has three majors) for him to leave all that for the NFL, most importantly, he isn't very good at calling games.

As Awful Announcing pointed out earlier today, Tirico cannot really be replaced with one broadcaster.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/who-will-wear-all-of-mike-tiricos-many-hats-at-espn.html

On 4/26/2016 at 5:00 PM, DNAsports said:

If I have to listen to Jaws and Gruden in the same booth with no moderator I might just boycott football.

On 4/28/2016 at 6:36 AM, jmac11281 said:

What's wrong with Jaws? He's a very smart football guy. Can he be over the top? Sure, sometimes, but I think he is a good analyst. Gruden, on the other hand...

Yes, but the decibel level in that booth will be much too high.

19 hours ago, rsaline said:

Yes, but the decibel level in that booth will be much too high.

You should have been watching the SC Special: Draft Grades last night... A table with Jaws, Herm Edwards, Mel Kiper Jr, and Todd McShay was at times excruciating to listen to. The only tame one was McShay.

On 28/04/2016 at 7:36 AM, jmac11281 said:

What's wrong with Jaws? He's a very smart football guy. Can he be over the top? Sure, sometimes, but I think he is a good analyst. Gruden, on the other hand...

'Unpopular thread material' I kinda like Gruden on MNF.  He brings good energy to what is a later game on a weeknight that the league no longer schedules sexy matchups for.  

If I have to watch Jets at Vikings on a Monday, I don't want a booth like Nantz & Simms.  Give me something more entertaining.

As for Jaws, I like his analysis.  I don't like him in the booth.  He should be MNF's halftime guru, alas everyone seems to want 5 guy panels for every f'n primetime game - as if a Jets at Vikings game in October had lives on the line.  

ESPN's MNF countdown is especially hilariously stupid & long.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

To add, Randy Moss joins the crew at ESPN.

Probably a better analyst than Keyshawn (who isn't?), but in no way is he an upgrade from Cris Carter.

6uXNWAo.png

I never understood the point of having Carter and Keyshawn Johnson on the same desk. They're both outspoken possession receivers from the 90's. What is Cris Carter bringing to the show that Keyshawn isn't also bringing?

I'm asking because I stopped watching pre and post game shows 6 years ago and my life is better for it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I never understood the point of having Carter and Keyshawn Johnson on the same desk. They're both outspoken possession receivers from the 90's. What is Cris Carter bringing to the show that Keyshawn isn't also bringing?

I'm asking because I stopped watching pre and post game shows 6 years ago and my life is better for it. 

The quiet dignity, despair, and desperation of never winning a championship in your career. 

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived