Pre-draft 2016 NFL preview

MCM0313

14 hours ago, DNAsports said:

As much as I hate the idea of the Eagles taking a QB with the #2 pick, I'll sadly admit it's probably will happen and is the best option for them.

I don't think they really anticipate winning this year, but next. This is a rebuilding year for them, undoing Kelly's personnel messes. Sadly, the bad taste Kelly leaves in their collective mouth probably lessens the chances of their switching back to kelly green anytime soon. 

31 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I don't think they really anticipate winning this year, but next. This is a rebuilding year for them, undoing Kelly's personnel messes. Sadly, the bad taste Kelly leaves in their collective mouth probably lessens the chances of their switching back to kelly green anytime soon. 

They (the front office / coaches) absolutely do believe they can win games and go to the playoffs this year.  With the improvement to their line and a healthy Bradford, I really think that they think they can win the division.  Now I don't think they will, and 99% of fans don't think they'll win more than 6 games, but the team itself does.  That's why they're being so stubborn about trading Sam Bradford (though I don't see what anyone else sees in him.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They (the front office / coaches) absolutely do believe they can win games and go to the playoffs this year.  With the improvement to their line and a healthy Bradford, I really think that they think they can win the division.  Now I don't think they will, and 99% of fans don't think they'll win more than 6 games, but the team itself does.  That's why they're being so stubborn about trading Sam Bradford (though I don't see what anyone else sees in him.)

Hmmm...so they want Wentz to sit for a year behind Bradford? I just don't see what they see in the team overall. This sounds like the plans of a rebuilding team, not a divisional title contender, though admittedly there's not much space between the two in the NFC East. Players are going to have to be learning a different scheme, an extremely different scheme from what they used the past few years. They don't have an every-down running back or a clear #1 WR. Their QB and TE starters are decidedly average, if that, based on previous experience. They have some good players on defense but the unit isn't of a caliber that can make a mediocre team win double-digit games. In short, unproven offense which appears to have average skill-position players, and good-but-not-great defense, and a new coaching staff with new schemes. I just don't see it...this is a transition team. The #2 overall draft pick sitting behind a veteran makes that even clearer.

That said, I absolutely believe the Eagles can win the NFC East with some luck. Any of the four teams in that division can win it. It's probably the most even top-to-bottom division in the NFL. Nobody great, nobody horrible. It's just that I see Philly as the least likely of the division's four teams to be hosting a playoff game this year.

22 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Hmmm...so they want Wentz to sit for a year behind Bradford? I just don't see what they see in the team overall. This sounds like the plans of a rebuilding team, not a divisional title contender, though admittedly there's not much space between the two in the NFC East. Players are going to have to be learning a different scheme, an extremely different scheme from what they used the past few years. They don't have an every-down running back or a clear #1 WR. Their QB and TE starters are decidedly average, if that, based on previous experience. They have some good players on defense but the unit isn't of a caliber that can make a mediocre team win double-digit games. In short, unproven offense which appears to have average skill-position players, and good-but-not-great defense, and a new coaching staff with new schemes. I just don't see it...this is a transition team. The #2 overall draft pick sitting behind a veteran makes that even clearer.

Doug Pederson flat-out said at his introductary news conference that his ideal situation would be to draft a "franchise QB" and have him sit for 1 or even 2 full seasons while learning the system, the speed of the NFL, NFL defenses, and even (try not to laugh) the city, the fans, the community, and what it's like to be in PHiladelphia (OK, you can laugh, but he actually said that!)

Unless Bradford goes deep in to the playoffs and plays out of his mind, I can't see him coming back for a second year, so I'd expect Wentz to start in 17, but the plan is absolutely for Bradford or Daniels to be the starter for all of 16.  They've confirmed that since the big trade.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Doug Pederson flat-out said at his introductary news conference that his ideal situation would be to draft a "franchise QB" and have him sit for 1 or even 2 full seasons while learning the system, the speed of the NFL, NFL defenses, and even (try not to laugh) the city, the fans, the community, and what it's like to be in PHiladelphia (OK, you can laugh, but he actually said that!)

Unless Bradford goes deep in to the playoffs and plays out of his mind, I can't see him coming back for a second year, so I'd expect Wentz to start in 17, but the plan is absolutely for Bradford or Daniels to be the starter for all of 16.  They've confirmed that since the big trade.

To be fair, the city of Philadelphia is uniquely hostile to its sports teams when they underperform.

Not sure it's any more hostile than NY or BOS, but even if so, not sure how sitting for two years "prepares" you for that.

Philadelphia is not any more hostile than anybody else in the Northeast. Sure, Wentz has never experienced anything like Philadelphia but it would be no different than if he was drafted by the Jets, Patriots, or Giants.

Now the draft is over but one of the undrafted free agents just got signed to the bears and he went to my highschool and to UB John Kling... its really cool this is the 2nd person from are school to play in the NFL. The first is Don Majkowski the QB for Green Bay before Farve.

18 hours ago, llfhockey said:

Now the draft is over but one of the undrafted free agents just got signed to the bears and he went to my highschool and to UB John Kling... its really cool this is the 2nd person from are school to play in the NFL. The first is Don Majkowski the QB for Green Bay before Farve.

Just read a brief interview with him. Seems like a good guy. Hope he does well!

Archived