jaha32

Bulldogs / Vikings / Knights Logos

Recommended Posts

Here's something I've been working on recently. After seeing that so many high schools and even some colleges use the same few cartoon bulldog images as their logos again and again, I decided to take a crack at it and create my own version. Of course there are some colleges with original and solid bulldogs, but overall I wanted to stray away from that cartoon Looney Toons bulldog look that is everywhere and make something original. I kept the cliche spiky collar because apparently a bulldog isn't a bulldog without one.

 

The full project can be seen on behance:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/36390445/Bulldogs-Logo

 

NOTE: All logos in this thread may not be used without prior consent of Greg Hahn.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could recommend any school to buy this logo, it'd be Mississippi School for the Deaf. Their mascot is Bulldogs. Yeas I agreed with what you meant on "looney tunes" bulldog logos, it is getting too old and times for many schools to adopt new bulldogs logo rather taking logos from pro/college teams' bulldog logos such as University of Georgia's new logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Looks very good! This could be for a pro team too! Great work!

Thanks, Hettinger!

 

4 hours ago, JMtexan09 said:

If I could recommend any school to buy this logo, it'd be Mississippi School for the Deaf. Their mascot is Bulldogs. Yeas I agreed with what you meant on "looney tunes" bulldog logos, it is getting too old and times for many schools to adopt new bulldogs logo rather taking logos from pro/college teams' bulldog logos such as University of Georgia's new logo.

If any school comes a knocking, I'd sell this. As I did a little research working on this, i got the impression that the Gonzaga logo may be the most widely used by high schools and other colleges but I don't know the true origin of who had it first. It probably won't be too long before the new Georgia Bulldog logo is everywhere as well. I think Fraser made that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The primary is great and the bulldog is fantastic, but the bottom logo feels pretty unbalanced. Unless you were to add a location moniker for a potential client, it'd look better to have the bulldog head sitting on top of the wordmark. Also, the neck on the bottom logo is throwing it off too, especially since that's not the same shape on the full-body mark. That being said, this is very well done, and I especially like the way the bulldog overlaps the letters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

The primary is great and the bulldog is fantastic, but the bottom logo feels pretty unbalanced. Unless you were to add a location moniker for a potential client, it'd look better to have the bulldog head sitting on top of the wordmark. Also, the neck on the bottom logo is throwing it off too, especially since that's not the same shape on the full-body mark. That being said, this is very well done, and I especially like the way the bulldog overlaps the letters.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that I would have liked to put the name of the location along with BULLDOGS to make it more complete. BULLDOGS would likely be the smaller of the two names in that case. Since this just a generic concept, I decided to leave any specific location off for display purposes.

 

On the isolated head version, the location/size of the wordmark could be rearranged if needed, or scrapped altogether. That may be the best solution. As far as the outer shape of the neck, I wanted the shape to be unique and not simply follow the circular contours of the collar as most bulldog logos do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it! At one point, I compiled a list of the most common high school mascot names with the goal of designing/shopping around logos for school use... I found that the logistics of integrating custom logos can be pricey for public schools (which is why so many stick to pro/stock logos), but there are always booster clubs looking for merchandise for fundraisers or team t-shirts. If you're willing to put in the legwork, this is definitely a design you could lease out to a number of teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logo stolen by one of said countless high schools and colleges in 3... 2... 1...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Love it! At one point, I compiled a list of the most common high school mascot names with the goal of designing/shopping around logos for school use... I found that the logistics of integrating custom logos can be pricey for public schools (which is why so many stick to pro/stock logos), but there are always booster clubs looking for merchandise for fundraisers or team t-shirts. If you're willing to put in the legwork, this is definitely a design you could lease out to a number of teams.

 

Yeah,that and most public high schools aren't that concerned with their brand image since they are just providing a public service to the community. But there are probably some private schools out there that do care more about their image and appeal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back at this with another new logo I finally got around to finishing. Just like the Bulldogs above, 'Vikings' is another one of the more common nicknames, and often times you see both colleges and high schools using the Minnesota Vikings logo. Even in my home state of Wisconsin where the Minnesota Vikings are loathed, there are a couple schools that use the Minnesota logo. That inspired me to make this concept.

 

(Again, it's also up on my Behance page for those who care to take a look there.)

https://www.behance.net/gallery/37547739/Vikings-Logo

 

Vikings-Logo-1-Behance.pngVikings-Logo-2-Behance.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work as always jaha, pretty flawless.  That vikings logo would've been great for Portland State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ren69 said:

Great work as always jaha, pretty flawless.  That vikings logo would've been great for Portland State.

 

Of North Kentucky University

 

But still it is a great Viking logo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ren69 said:

Great work as always jaha, pretty flawless.  That vikings logo would've been great for Portland State.

 

10 hours ago, JMtexan09 said:

 

Of North Kentucky University

 

But still it is a great Viking logo

 

10 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

I agree with Ren69 and I couldn't agree more. Flawless!

 

Thanks, guys. Yeah, coincidentally since I started making this, Portland State and another college, Bethany Lutheran, recently unveiled decent Vikings logos. Northern Kentucky also tweaked theirs this year. I guess it's been a busy year for Vikings/Norse mascots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another logo concept I've been working on. A theme is beginning to develop in this thread - I take a common mascot (Bulldogs, Vikings, and now Knights) and try to achieve a look that is much more inspired than the name itself. I'm not sure how many more of these I'll do,  but for now, here are the Knights.

 

The full identity is up on behance as well:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/40713463/Knights-Logo-Concept

 

Knights-Primary-Logo-Behance.pngKnights-Secondary-Logo-Behance.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

Here's another logo concept I've been working on. A theme is beginning to develop in this thread - I take a common mascot (Bulldogs, Vikings, and now Knights) and try to achieve a look that is much more inspired than the name itself. I'm not sure how many more of these I'll do,  but for now, here are the Knights.

 

The full identity is up on behance as well:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/40713463/Knights-Logo-Concept

 

Knights-Primary-Logo-Behance.pngKnights-Secondary-Logo-Behance.png

You should put some wordmarks on there as soon as possible. So many high schools are going to take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The K-Sword is very well done, nice work. The primary has a decent amount going on, but I'd say it achieves some solid balance. Custom font? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.