Really unusual color schemes (that work)

MCM0313

3 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Question: Does anyone have a picture of a football or basketball team (or baseball or hockey, I guess) wearing metallic copper/bronze jerseys and/or pants? I'd like to see what that looks like IRL.

Arizona Wranglers (USFL) had copper helmets and pants; when they merged with the Oklahoma Outlaws and became the Arizona Outlaws they kept the copper pants:

bryan_thomas_1984_07_15.jpg

1-arizona-wranglers.jpg

81d2756b3ce0191dbe25ccad7e3b93b2.jpg

85ariout-gold-5-12.png

It is what it is.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Arizona Wranglers (USFL) had copper helmets and pants; when they merged with the Oklahoma Outlaws and became the Arizona Outlaws they kept the copper pants:

bryan_thomas_1984_07_15.jpg

1-arizona-wranglers.jpg

81d2756b3ce0191dbe25ccad7e3b93b2.jpg

85ariout-gold-5-12.png

I like the helmets and pants. Love the particular shade of copper too. What color were their dark jerseys?

BTW, I hadn't realized that Doug Williams had played for the Wranglers till I saw the third photo. I had to go look it up just to make sure it was him. 

Finally, what was the Ohio State-looking team that Williams was playing against in the photo? Is that the Memphis Showboats?

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I like the helmets and pants. Love the particular shade of copper too. What color were their dark jerseys?

BTW, I hadn't realized that Doug Williams had played for the Wranglers till I saw the third photo. I had to go look it up just to make sure it was him. 

Finally, what was the Ohio State-looking team that Williams was playing against in the photo? Is that the Memphis Showboats?

1.  If memory serves me, there were supposed to be red jerseys, but they were never worn.

1984_Arizona_OLD.png

2.  The Ohio State looking team is the Tampa Bay Bandits.  You can see the Bandits logo on the right sleeve.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

23 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

1.  If memory serves me, there were supposed to be red jerseys, but they were never worn.

1984_Arizona_OLD.png

2.  The Ohio State looking team is the Tampa Bay Bandits.  You can see the Bandits logo on the right sleeve.

So the Wranglers wore white at home?

Yes . . . at least in 1984 when they wore the copper pants.  They wore blue jerseys at home in 1983 with yellow/athletic gold pants.

640711_lg.jpg

. . . though I couldn't find any game photos with the blue jersey.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Interestingly, this collection includes two red Wranglers jerseys.

23_25964a_lg.jpeg

lol this should be called-color schemes you perceive as working-

because no woman would tolerate any of this.

most of these dont work. You just choose to like them.

In the male sports world,most needs to be a hard color,an obvious sharp or flat color.

they try to get creative so everyone isnt red and blue (even though blue-1,red-2 are the most popular colors in that order, to the public)

Brown and light blue dont actually go together but if you like them,you like them,which is fine.

is someone going to tell me Seattle Seahawks new uniforms work?

hell no they dont. The murky blue is great for the rainy region but the lime green crap makes no sense other than subliminally trying to sell you dayglo Nike

running shoes.The color combination sucks...but everything in sports is an-emperors new clothes- complex.

Dont be making no fun of my favorite teams gear! lol

3180024775_7c4f7d46ed.jpg?v=0

3 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

lol this should be called-color schemes you perceive as working-

because no woman would tolerate any of this.

most of these dont work. You just choose to like them.

In the male sports world,most needs to be a hard color,an obvious sharp or flat color.

they try to get creative so everyone isnt red and blue (even though blue-1,red-2 are the most popular colors in that order, to the public)

Brown and light blue dont actually go together but if you like them,you like them,which is fine.

is someone going to tell me Seattle Seahawks new uniforms work?

hell no they dont. The murky blue is great for the rainy region but the lime green crap makes no sense other than subliminally trying to sell you dayglo Nike

running shoes.The color combination sucks...but everything in sports is an-emperors new clothes- complex.

Dont be making no fun of my favorite teams gear! lol

3180024775_7c4f7d46ed.jpg?v=0

...so you're saying you like the Southern California Sun's color scheme but you admit it doesn't work? Or what exactly? And, yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if people think brown and light blue work well together, that's their opinion. As for the Seahawks' lime green, I think it's appropriate. That's Nike's team, moreso than any other, and Nike likes to use bright colors.

3 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

I liked what the Berlin Thunder did. They used black, gold, green and orange.

berlin-thunder-deb087da-d502-4987-9b37-1

That image isn't working for me, but I looked it up and their uniforms are just a bit too busy for my tastes. I like the Hamburg Sea Devils' look better:

74479922-rich-parson-of-hamburg-celebrat

3 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

...so you're saying you like the Southern California Sun's color scheme but you admit it doesn't work? Or what exactly? And, yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if people think brown and light blue work well together, that's their opinion. As for the Seahawks' lime green, I think it's appropriate. That's Nike's team, moreso than any other, and Nike likes to use bright colors.

Neither here nor there. I used the Suns helmet as a punchline to be perceived as you wish.

I like it because its odd/because its uniform history/because its different and humorous.

But of course its not a manly sports combination.

lime green is not appropriate in any man's league sports uniform, never!

its the color of plastic made in Japan toys or beach wear or play doh or slurpees at the 7-11.

Or clothes people wear in 80s Wham videos.

gg52m.gifimage.jpg

99938-004-013f-199x300.jpg

1 hour ago, 1937redskins said:

Neither here nor there. I used the Suns helmet as a punchline to be perceived as you wish.

I like it because its odd/because its uniform history/because its different and humorous.

But of course its not a manly sports combination.

lime green is not appropriate in any man's league sports uniform, never!

its the color of plastic made in Japan toys or beach wear or play doh or slurpees at the 7-11.

Or clothes people wear in 80s Wham videos.

gg52m.gifimage.jpg

99938-004-013f-199x300.jpg

Yeah, well...that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Even with virtually no Teal, the Arizona Rattlers' Black and Copper is a great color combo:

GROUP-3.jpg

I'll also add just about any color scheme with Brown (Brown/Orange, Brown/Yellow, Brown/Red, Brown/Light Blue, even Brown/Teal if anyone's used it) would work, but what about combining some of these colors? We've already seen the Padres in Brown/Yellow/Orange, but what about Brown/Yellow/Light Blue? And also, imagine these:

milcle_110121_01.jpg

With brown replacing black. (Don't get me wrong, Black/Lightish Blue/Orange is/was great, too, but Brown/Light Blue/Orange would be a near-perfect way for the Cavs to really stand out and make brown Cleveland's color, and with as many alts the Cavaliers have, can plausibly be done.)

Brown/Yellow/Light Blue would also work well for the Padres as well.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

6 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Even with virtually no Teal, the Arizona Rattlers' Black and Copper is a great color combo:

GROUP-3.jpg

I'll also add just about any color scheme with Brown (Brown/Orange, Brown/Yellow, Brown/Red, Brown/Light Blue, even Brown/Teal if anyone's used it) would work, but what about combining some of these colors? We've already seen the Padres in Brown/Yellow/Orange, but what about Brown/Yellow/Light Blue? And also, imagine these:

milcle_110121_01.jpg

With brown replacing black. (Don't get me wrong, Black/Lightish Blue/Orange is/was great, too, but Brown/Light Blue/Orange would be a near-perfect way for the Cavs to really stand out and make brown Cleveland's color, and with as many alts the Cavaliers have, can plausibly be done.)

Brown/Yellow/Light Blue would also work well for the Padres as well.

Not to toot my own horn, but I did black/teal/copper better:

http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#/school/2406205696:1383793902

11 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

I probably dont like white Russians either

Reminds me of this exchange from the second Naked Gun film:

Waiter: Sir?

Lt. Frank Drebin: Gimme the strongest thing you got.

[Waiter brings over a greased-up muscle man. Drebin flounders]

Lt. Frank Drebin: Uh... on second thought, how about a black Russian?

Waiter: Very well sir.

[raises eyebrow, looks at camera, shakes head and walks off]

On 5/5/2016 at 4:12 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Teal/Brown/Gold/Orange ala old Fresno Grizzlies.

4811.gif

I miss this look a  lot... Heck, you don't even need Orange for this to look good.

How about brown-teal-yellow? Courtesy of @SFGiants58, who's probably getting tired by now of me reposting his NBA32 series:

13481992154_373ff309c4_c.jpg13481642965_f5d294888f_c.jpg13481743173_e91a9445b8_c.jpg13481636075_01f8d25786_c.jpg

13481635485_bb6722f637_c.jpg

Archived