Really unusual color schemes (that work)

MCM0313

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In thinking of others, the Wizards' original colors came to mind (which I suppose includes the identical Caps' 90's-00's colors as well). You didn't see that kind of slatish blue often outside of Washington (at least I don't remember seeing much of it elsewhere...ColorWerx??) and especially with bronze and black.

michael-jordan-wizards.jpg

I still miss that look. The colors had a strange way of fitting the wizard theme while still looking...federal, I guess? The Caps using it too could've helped with that. But it did have a very Washingtonian look to it without having to be RWB.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

11 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

In thinking of others, the Wizards' original colors came to mind (which I suppose includes the identical Caps' 90's-00's colors as well). You didn't see that kind of slatish blue often outside of Washington (at least I don't remember seeing much of it elsewhere...ColorWerx??) and especially with bronze and black.

I still miss that look. The colors had a strange way of fitting the wizard theme while still looking...federal, I guess? The Caps using it too could've helped with that. But it did have a very Washingtonian look to it without having to be RWB.

OT: If the Wizards get a D-League team, I hope they use those colors.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

14 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I agree that it was an unusual color scheme, but how well did it really work? I thought those uniforms were very "meh."

4 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I agree that it was an unusual color scheme, but how well did it really work? I thought those uniforms were very "meh."

I kinda agree on this. But I did like the later updated version with the gold instead of bronze.

Gilbert+Arenas+Washington+Wizards+v+Phoe

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

The gold looked really great with it as well. I liked both versions pretty equally myself.

I don't know, it all worked for me. I could see where they were going with it, and as I mentioned, the colors looked "Washingtonian" somehow too. Different strokes I guess :) 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, Berlin Wall said:

I kinda agree on this. But I did like the later updated version with the gold instead of bronze.

I dunno. The first one could've emphasized the copper a lot more. I do agree that the second looks a bit better, but it's also a more ordinary color scheme. The blue is less slate-y, gold is of course much more common in sports design than copper, and the black side panels were very much en vogue in the NBA at that time. I think the first scheme post-Bullets had more potential, but the second one had better design and execution.

17 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The gold looked really great with it as well. I liked both versions pretty equally myself.

I don't know, it all worked for me. I could see where they were going with it, and as I mentioned, the colors looked "Washingtonian" somehow too. Different strokes I guess :) 

I can see both color schemes looking "Washingtonian" but a cartoon wizard...well, not so much.

18 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Incidentally, what did you think of their gold alt? I think it could've been okay had it not been paired with differently-colored shorts...

16 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Incidentally, what did you think of their gold alt? I think it could've been okay had it not been paired with differently-colored shorts...

Truth be told, I didn't really like their gold alt at all. It wasn't the idea of gold I didn't like, but more so the whole gold jersey-black shorts mess. Had the shorts been gold and there been some blue here and there, I think that would've improved it immensely.

And not as a mode of argument but more out of my own curiosity towards the "why", I thought more about why I felt the colors looked federal and I think this is what was always going on in my head:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Of course, the colors aren't the same shades or values, but the combination of the blues of the White House logo in Obama's picture and the curtains in Bush's, and the gold of the Presidential seal and parts of the flags isn't extremely far off. I don't think that may be what the designers were going for, but psychologically to me at least I think that's why I'd always made those connections. Especially the blue. Funny thing is, I couldn't really put my finger on it till now.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

17 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I personally didn't like the gold jersey paired with black shorts. It NEEDED gold shorts badly.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. Here's one that hasn't - Virginia Tech's color scheme:

qALvM2o.jpg

s0s5kEn.jpg

f0fFfAk.jpg

They really captured the colors of autumn and the memories of football weather and the start of a new season that come with it. I especially like these particular uniforms because they showcase their colors the most.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

5 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

Neither of them are bad, but looking at them up close, the original slate-and-bronze look wins out for me.

OPU0LDx.jpg

johnwall01_front.jpg

The Vegas gold is just a little too bright and throws off the color balance a bit. It also looks like they changed the shade of blue for the worse at the same time.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. Here's one that hasn't - Virginia Tech's color scheme:

qALvM2o.jpg

s0s5kEn.jpg

f0fFfAk.jpg

They really captured the colors of autumn and the memories of football weather and the start of a new season that come with it. I especially like these particular uniforms because they showcase their colors the most.

I too think VA Tech's colors are great for football in Autumn, but I like their more traditional uniforms with the UCLA stripes.

image_zpstqdcvym4.jpeg image_zps6ufax9dx.jpeg

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

The Toronto Raptors red, black, and purple combo have been mentioned.

This isn't my favorite TCU uniform, but you gotta admit, it really does work

TCU.jpg

NCAA_FB13_UNIFORMS_TCU_Jersey_Front_0014

...so much so that a few posters on this forum have made their own concepts with red in it:
tcu2_zps37cc4fb6.png?t=1380054482

K7MNeEs.png

TCUunis.png

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived