Really unusual color schemes (that work)

MCM0313

On 28/04/2016 at 11:45 PM, monkeypower said:

They did as an alternate for, IIRC, two seasons.

DSC01052.jpg

Considering the roots of the name, this would have been a neat look for the San Jose Sharks.

Might have to try that in a concept...

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Bucks new look counts as well.

Black, Green, Tan & Blue... why can I see a version of that scheme working for the Rays?

The best Rays concept I've seen was by @SFGiants58 and it had a dark green and sky blue color scheme. Cream-color could potentially work with that as well. Obviously it's different shades from what the Bucks wear, and neither team, really, should wear black. (Remember the Rays' dark-green-and-black scheme? Yecch.) Still, I agree with you that a similar scheme would be really good for the Rays.

Yeah, I like that a lot, too, especially the interlocking TB on the road and not the Tampa Bay half of the full wordmark. I'd give it a splash of yellow with the ray of sunlight, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, I like that a lot, too, especially the interlocking TB on the road and not the Tampa Bay half of the full wordmark. I'd give it a splash of yellow with the ray of sunlight, though.

The ray of sunlight is their name's meaning, after all. 

Guys,

Thank you for enjoying my work. I'd hate to come off as ungrateful, but I redid the team pretty recently, with less muddy shades:

20283340158_3a5d571aab_b.jpg

20298893285_1ec186e556_b.jpg

20290507492_7b05a368d7_b.jpg

I decided against the "TB" and against any "Ray of Light," as I find the "Ray of Light" to be a little too silly. I much prefer having the ray take prominence in the design. I figured that arching the "Tampa Bay" wordmark wouldn't look so bad, as a little inconsistency never hurt anybody.

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Can I see that set with a cream road jersey, @SFGiants58?

I know this isn't a concept thread, but I agree the "Ray of Sunlight" is stupid.

See, I like the "ray of sunlight." It seemed silly at first but it's grown on me. It's really the only part of the Rays' current design that I like. The colors are okay but the design is so generic aside from that ray.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Guys,

Thank you for enjoying my work. I'd hate to come off as ungrateful, but I redid the team pretty recently, with less muddy shades:

20283340158_3a5d571aab_b.jpg

20298893285_1ec186e556_b.jpg

20290507492_7b05a368d7_b.jpg

I decided against the "TB" and against any "Ray of Light," as I find the "Ray of Light" to be a little too silly. I much prefer having the ray take prominence in the design. I figured that arching the "Tampa Bay" wordmark wouldn't look so bad, as a little inconsistency never hurt anybody.

I love it. That's the perfect color scheme for the Rays.

In an ideal world, I wish the Rays would rebrand themselves as the "Stingrays," adopt that color scheme, and get rid of the Times New Roman font, but that's probably just a pipedream.

49 minutes ago, kroywen said:

In an ideal world, I wish the Rays would rebrand themselves as the "Stingrays," adopt that color scheme, and get rid of the Times New Roman font, but that's probably just a pipedream.

Even if Stingrays were their official name from day one, they'd still likely be called the Rays. Might even have made it's way on to the jerseys.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I think the inaugural D-backs had the best look they've ever had, particularly with this alt:

4920_arizona_diamondbacks-alternate-1998

Once they de-emphasized the teal and almost completely eliminated the copper, though, they definitely went downhill. Teal and copper are a desert combination and go really well together. I wish they'd had more teal, more copper, less purple, and less black. Heck, they should've eliminated either purple or black altogether.

In support of that point (I hope it works), here's a team I built in TeamBuilder called the Great Southwest Sidewinders. I can't get it to display on this computer but I'm hoping it will on yours. They wear black, teal, and copper, and if I do say so myself, they look both fantastic and geographically appropriate:

http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#/school/2406205696:1383793902

Just now, MCM0313 said:

In support of that point (I hope it works), here's a team I built in TeamBuilder called the Great Southwest Sidewinders. I can't get it to display on this computer but I'm hoping it will on yours. They wear black, teal, and copper, and if I do say so myself, they look both fantastic and geographically appropriate:

http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#/school/2406205696:1383793902

On a related note: Stupid EA Sports not supporting TeamBuilder! Stupid, stupid EA Sports!

It's a head scratcher why the diamondbacks, born in 1998, chose such a similar look to one of their division rivals, who had only come into the league 5 years previous. Purple pinstripes is a pretty unique element for the Rockies' look, and AZ just straight up copied it. Baffling choice.

5 minutes ago, Chauncey917 said:

It's a head scratcher why the diamondbacks, born in 1998, chose such a similar look to one of their division rivals, who had only come into the league 5 years previous. Purple pinstripes is a pretty unique element for the Rockies' look, and AZ just straight up copied it. Baffling choice.

Absolutely. Even moreso, purple and black together (though not the first season). I guess purple was still a trendy color in 1996-97-ish (when the Diamondbacks' front office peeps would've been choosing the team's branding)?

7 minutes ago, Chauncey917 said:

Also: interesting that the Diamondbacks' twin franchise, the Devil Rays, began with a scheme heavy on purple and black. I actually liked their rainbow gradient and I wish they'd incorporated more of the colors in it into their trim.

Purple and black should never touch each other IMO. The best way to make them contrast fully is if the purple is lightened to more royal purple (and I still don't even like that color combo).

Archived