Really unusual color schemes (that work)

MCM0313

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it was because my middle school was painted in these colors because it was the 90's!, but I've always loved how burgundy and teal looked together with burgundy operating as the primary color. 

The only team I can think of that came close was the fake team in "Playmakers". 

photo16.jpe

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Maybe it was because my middle school was painted in these colors because it was the 90's!, but I've always loved how burgundy and teal looked together with burgundy operating as the primary color. 

The only team I can think of that came close was the fake team in "Playmakers". 

photo16.jpe

Was that the show where the star wideout (83 in this pic I think) was gay and very closeted about it? That's about the only thing I can remember about it.

3 hours ago, lopernv said:

byron-scott.jpg

There were so many possible permutations with that particular color scheme once they got tired of the mid-'90s look...but no, they had to go the lazy "paint it black" route.

Just now, MCM0313 said:

Was that the show where the star wideout (83 in this pic I think) was gay and very closeted about it? That's about the only thing I can remember about it.

Yes. It was the show where every single scandal that's ever happened to an NFL team ever all happened to the same team in the same season. 

Then the NFL made espn cancel it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, McCarthy said:

Yes. It was the show where every single scandal that's ever happened to an NFL team ever all happened to the same team in the same season. 

Then the NFL made espn cancel it. 

Well-said. I can't blame the NFL here either.

7 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

The wine/gold/navy/light blue scheme for the Atlanta Thrashers had a lot of potential imo. Their jerseys and logos were head-scratchers though. Here was the closest I thought they got to a great combo
 0r3jhek7h82th9mfipeih4xkt.gif 

Agreed, though this would look worlds better if the thick part of the hem stripe was maroon, outlined in yellow.  It just doesn't fit with the shoulder yoke.

On April 29, 2016 at 11:16 AM, VikWings said:

234b13ad3a215aa2f6b4242beef79a6d.jpg

In my opinion, these uniforms were better:

ThUYgcA.jpg

Were they silly looking? Yes. Was the uniform a combination of pretty much all of the 90s clichés (minus teal)? Yep. Is the logo itself silly looking? You bet. But to me, they have more character and are more unique looking than the uniforms that came afterwards.

I think we both can agree that the Raptors certainly need to bring back the purple. It was a perfect complimentary color to the shade of red the Raptors use, and the current uniforms are a little too bland for my taste.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

8 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Any green/orange? I can only think of U of Miami off the top of my head.

Colorado State uses it in their "Aggie" throwbacks.

7 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

My club, Sacramento Republic FC, uses brown, maroon, and tan/sand (They call it "eggshell"), and it's a pretty solid look. They've since changed to all white road kits, but I thought this look worked surprisingly well. They should've gone with striped socks or something, but otherwise, tan and white is a good combination. 

20150507_srfc_3rdkit-1551.jpg

Love this kit. I agree striped socks would make it better. I don't think this color scheme is that unusual, though, the D-Backs and Coyotes have both used/are using it.

On 5/6/2016 at 11:11 PM, Tigers6884 said:

In my opinion, these uniforms were better:

ThUYgcA.jpg

Were they silly looking? Yes. Was the uniform a combination of pretty much all of the 90s clichés (minus teal)? Yep. Is the logo itself silly looking? You bet. But to me, they have more character and are more unique looking than the uniforms that came afterwards.

I think we both can agree that the Raptors certainly need to bring back the purple. It was a perfect complimentary color to the shade of red the Raptors use, and the current uniforms are a little too bland for my taste.

Disagree with first paragraph, agree with second. 

EDIT: Are you referring to their inaugural unis? Somehow I thought you meant the purple-in-front, black-in-back unis. I like the inaugural unis better.

Realistically, none of the Raptors' previous uniforms are as awful as the mess they're wearing now. From that horrible logo, to the weird mismatch between the block wordmark and rounded numbers, to the collar having a completely different striping pattern than the armholes or the bottom of the shorts, and even the "T" on the shorts that would be a cool idea in a vacuum but looks awkward on a uniform that is already cluttered with too many competing elements. The Raptors might legitimately have the worst uniforms in the league right now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

52 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Realistically, none of the Raptors' previous uniforms are as awful as the mess they're wearing now. From that horrible logo, to the weird mismatch between the block wordmark and rounded numbers, to the collar having a completely different striping pattern than the armholes or the bottom of the shorts, and even the "T" on the shorts that would be a cool idea in a vacuum but looks awkward on a uniform that is already cluttered with too many competing elements. The Raptors might legitimately have the worst uniforms in the league right now.

Plus they're way too conservatively-designed for a team called "Raptors." You can criticize the crooked pinstripes or the bizarre bi-color uniforms that followed them, but at least those took a chance and showed some aggression. These...these are like what a 75-year-old raptor in a nursing home would pick out.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:23 AM, mjd77 said:

The Clippers would like a word with you.

It's almost like the Clips designed their current uniforms to end all debate about whose in the NBA were the worst.

On 5/5/2016 at 4:12 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Teal/Brown/Gold/Orange ala old Fresno Grizzlies.

4811.gif

I miss this look a  lot... Heck, you don't even need Orange for this to look good.

Reminds me of the Wilderness Explorers from Up. The scheme has a great outdoorsy vibe to it.

wilderness1.jpg

Perhaps an unpopular opinion...the WNBA has a lot of great NBA-inspired color schemes, but the teams usually add a color or two that really establishes unique schemes.  The Sparks and the Liberty have great palettes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion...the WNBA has a lot of great NBA-inspired color schemes, but the teams usually add a color or two that really establishes unique schemes.  The Sparks and the Liberty have great palettes.

The Sparks' color scheme is similar to what the Hornets wore when they were in New Orleans. For some reason I thought the Liberty were just black and white. Was that what they looked like when the league first started?

28 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

The Sparks' color scheme is similar to what the Hornets wore when they were in New Orleans. For some reason I thought the Liberty were just black and white. Was that what they looked like when the league first started?

Good point about the Sparks.

Yeah I think the Liberty have been orange, blue, and "jade" since the beginning.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Good point about the Sparks.

Yeah I think the Liberty have been orange, blue, and "jade" since the beginning.

Okay. Their uniforms just really strongly emphasized the black early on. Don't know what they look like now. I remember watching Rebecca Lobo and having a little bit of a crush on her. In my defense, she's actually heterosexual (although now happily married with kids) and really smart. 

It is pretty clever that they have the Knicks' blue-orange-black (albeit rearranged to favor black) and added Statue-of-Liberty "jade" as an accent. That's as appropriate a color as any for a New York City-based team.

Question: Does anyone have a picture of a football or basketball team (or baseball or hockey, I guess) wearing metallic copper/bronze jerseys and/or pants? I'd like to see what that looks like IRL.

Archived