Australian NBL signs with Mitchell and Ness

El Scorcho

NBL appoints new Official Apparel Partner

It's a really interesting move from the National Basketball League

Basketball is massively popular in Australia, but the NBL markets itself really poorly and as such, it's largely ignored by fans who just follow the NBA. I've always believed that cheap looking, primarily sublimated uniforms over the past 20 years have been a big contributor to the NBL being ignored, with NBA jerseys being worn all over the place.

Hopefully Mitchell and Ness can give the league a bit more a traditional, authentic look. I'm not aware of them sponsoring a league or a team, so it will be interesting to see their take on it. You'd assume they'd want to maintain their throwback aesthetic, which could be absolutely wonderful news for Australian basketball fans.

I'm interested in seeing what they do with the uniforms And1 & ISC have supplied sublimation based uniforms so whether Mitchell & Ness do the same or the traditional mesh. In terms of things this is the 2nd biggest uniform deal the NBL's had the biggest was the Nike deal back in the 90's. But this is kind of a surprising one. I also didn't realise until I heard the news the other day that its parent company is Adidas so hoping this will be a sleeveless deal for the NBL.

Even though I own a sublimation uniform company I still prefer personally the traditional uniform with tackle twill and mesh.

In 2004, Mitchell & Ness provided the apparel and uniforms for the New Orleans Voodoo and Philadelphia Soul of the Arena Football League. Neither design fit with the company's "throwback" aesthetic, but they were both excellent identities, and the authentic jerseys were high-quality. As others have said, though, I don't know how much of M&N's design tendencies will translate to the NBL, given the need for sponsor prominence. I doubt it's going to be looking like the ABA out on the courts in Australia.

Plus, in a lot of ways nowadays, M&N is just an overpriced label of adidas.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived