Please not the Oilers: NHL Draft lottery thread.

zigzag

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Go Jets Go! I hope the Beej don't win. They'll just use the pick to draft a houseplant!

Shortly after that post, the admiral hit the streets looking for puppies and kittens to kick. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, ujju2 said:

Ugh. Moved to fourth. Would have loved to see Laine with McDavid. Whatever, I guess.

There is no way in hell we keep this pick. Package it with whatever is left of Nail Yakupov's trade value and maybe Eberle or something for a real defenceman.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

50 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

There is no way in hell we keep this pick. Package it with whatever is left of Nail Yakupov's trade value and maybe Eberle or something for a real defenceman.

I would almost never trade RNH, but if RNH and the pick can get us a guy like Faulk, I'd do it. Add Yakupov in as well, I like him, but he has no future with us.

Edit: But Yak and Ebs gone, combined with not getting a Finn, leaves a hole at RW. One of RNH or Drai will take one of those spots, I presume.

You know, the Oilers right now remind me a bit of the Quebec Nordiques back in the early 90s. The Nords were terrible for 5-6 years, got a bunch of good draft picks (including 3 straight years with the #1 pick, like Edmonton), and picked a bunch of highly-acclaimed forwards in Sakic, Sundin, Nolan & Lindros.

Then they traded everyone but Sakic for other pieces they needed; defence, goaltending, better offensive prospects (Forsberg), and away they went, almost overnight in fact; from 20 wins in 1991-92 to 47 in 1992-93. Admittedly, they got super lucky later when one of the best goalies in the league went on the market, and if they hadn't moved they wouldn't have had any chance at getting him*, but hey, it is what it is.

Basically, like a lot of other people have been saying, yeah, we're at the time where the Oilers should probably hang on to McDavid and start looking to trade some of their other forwards for some defence and a goalie who's actually good. All I'm pointing out is that there's actual historical precedence for this.

* - then again, if they didn't move the whole Roy thing would've gone differently anyways, 'cause then the schedule would've been different and 11-1 game probably wouldn't have happened.

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

You know, the Oilers right now remind me a bit of the Quebec Nordiques back in the early 90s. The Nords were terrible for 5-6 years, got a bunch of good draft picks (including 3 straight years with the #1 pick, like Edmonton), and picked a bunch of highly-acclaimed forwards in Sakic, Sundin, Nolan & Lindros.

What's dangerous is they've already passed up being the next early 80's Oilers because their recent picks aren't kids becoming stars any more.  

If they screw up becoming the 90's Nordiques, they have only themselves to blame.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On 5/1/2016 at 9:14 PM, crashcarson15 said:

Moved into the top three of a three-player draft. Yes, please, hockey gods. Finally.

First time the Blue Jackets have ever moved upwards in a draft lottery, which is remarkable because they've been in quite a few. Previously they've either stayed where they were slotted or they moved back because some other team got lucky. 

Jarmo Kekalainen might weep on stage as he picks one of the Finns. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived