Tucson Scorpions new AHL Team

MontyK17

Hello everybody. I am about to post my first jersey concept and logo concept on this site! The good gentlemen over at HockeyJerseyConcepts.com are having a contest going on right now. This contest entails redesigning the Springfield Falcons. The Falcons were recently purchased by the Arizona Coyotes and will be moving to Tucson for the 2016-17 season. So first I decided to change the name to the Mustangs to keep that desert theme and I also redesigned the logo. For the Jerseys I kept the same colour as the Coyotes. I like when the AHL teams have the same colour schemes but change the design. I added a lot of striping which I am personally a fan of! Also I added GoDaddy.com as the jersey sponsor. It is one of the biggest companies based in Arizona so i figured it fit.

Please give me C+C! Im very very new to Illustrator so I would love tips to improve this logo and help me get a general knowledge of the software! Thank you.

TucsonMustangs.jpg

VWSqUJp.png9GfZbEP.pngPFHWZkI.png

The red mustang really gets lost on red, but props for a cream jersey. Yum yum.

I'd try looking for a sponsor specific to Southern Arizona, but that's just an Arizonan speaking. Raytheon is far and ahead the largest private employer down there. Freeport-McMoRan is the second largest (ninth, including public institutions) but the copper industry is tumbling right now.

11 hours ago, Raymie said:

The red mustang really gets lost on red, but props for a cream jersey. Yum yum.

I'd try looking for a sponsor specific to Southern Arizona, but that's just an Arizonan speaking. Raytheon is far and ahead the largest private employer down there. Freeport-McMoRan is the second largest (ninth, including public institutions) but the copper industry is tumbling right now.

I couldn't agree with you more. I tried really hard to avoid BFBS but it does look way better in my opinion 

TucsonMustangs.jpg

I'm not necessarily feeling the Mustang as a mascot, but it's not bad. Mustangs aren't really a thing here... horses definitely, mustangs not as much. There are just a few cool Southern Arizona critters that I'd love to see as mascots even more (Javelinas? Scorpions? Maybe even a Gila Monster or Coati?). The logo could use some tweaking, though. Right now you have far too many fine lines, and that's making it look less like a logo and more like clipart. Work in larger blocks of shadows and highlights, and it'll look more like a logo. Also, the posing and composition of the horse, while pretty intimidating, is also kind of making him look... well, fat. Like an angry Cartman yelling for more Hot Pockets. I think if you work on bringing in larger shadows and blockier highlights of color, it will make the horse look more imposing and less overfed. Your basic shape is cool, though.

On May 4, 2016 at 0:54 AM, suplauren said:

I'm not necessarily feeling the Mustang as a mascot, but it's not bad. Mustangs aren't really a thing here... horses definitely, mustangs not as much. There are just a few cool Southern Arizona critters that I'd love to see as mascots even more (Javelinas? Scorpions? Maybe even a Gila Monster or Coati?). The logo could use some tweaking, though. Right now you have far too many fine lines, and that's making it look less like a logo and more like clipart. Work in larger blocks of shadows and highlights, and it'll look more like a logo. Also, the posing and composition of the horse, while pretty intimidating, is also kind of making him look... well, fat. Like an angry Cartman yelling for more Hot Pockets. I think if you work on bringing in larger shadows and blockier highlights of color, it will make the horse look more imposing and less overfed. Your basic shape is cool, though.

Ok so I should probably do more research on area before making the mascot. Honestly I just thought Cowboys and then Mustangs cause the Tucson Horses isn't intimidating at all. I do think Scorpions or Gila Monster would be cool. Ok so my next logos/concepts ill work on shadowing and highlights. LOL he does look fat eh ill tweak that. Thank you so much for the CC it is really appreciated. 

6 hours ago, MontyK17 said:

Ok so I should probably do more research on area before making the mascot. Honestly I just thought Cowboys and then Mustangs cause the Tucson Horses isn't intimidating at all. I do think Scorpions or Gila Monster would be cool. Ok so my next logos/concepts ill work on shadowing and highlights. LOL he does look fat eh ill tweak that. Thank you so much for the CC it is really appreciated. 

You could definitely get away with keeping the horse and go with Stallions or Broncos. Tucson has a really deep rodeo history, so that is totally still a good connection. Mustang is the name for wild horses, though, and we don't really have those haha. But I'd love to see other unique mascots if you have the time! 

For a good local sponsor, I'd look at Fry's, that's the kind of stuff they might get into. Suplauren is right, the Sonoran desert (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't have any wild horses. I love the Gila Monster, as a mascot, but with he horribly failed 90's team in Tucson called that, and the Lake Erie Monsters playing in the same league, I don't know that it would be a good move.

Roadrunners seems to be gaining a lot of traction, and I wouldn't mind seeing Lobos, as a tie in with the parent franchise.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

So I revamped the logo and name. I did listen to you guys and changed to the Tucson Scorpions. I went for a minimalist scorpion were there is a colour switch for each jersey. I found it funny how the sponsor caused the biggest commotion lol. I kept the sponsor and changed the side! Please continue leaving CC!

TucsonMustangs.jpg

On 5/11/2016 at 4:50 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Lobos, as a tie in with the parent franchise.

I could get behind this hardcore.

The scorpion update feels like a lateral move. I think it's mainly the very thin outline you have on it. It's also a little spindly overall, which seems jarring to me compared to the thick band of stripes on the jersey. The red part of the scorpion also gets lost on the black jersey. I'm also not sure how I feel about the tail bits alternating in color.

I think if you thicken the segments of the scorpion it'll help. It looks pretty cool, but right now it's not really reading like a sports logo for me yet. Especially a hockey logo.

2 hours ago, ScreamingViking said:

Awkward...

Yes and no. For the most part, the concepts section gets this from time to time: people have an idea and Google a logo to use since they are limited by either their artistic abilities and/or artistic programs. It's actually not that uncommon anymore, and most "designers" will either thrive and get better or disappear with their tail between their legs. Just the nature of the section.

If anything, I hope the OP is takes the "thrive" road and learns from this. Learn your craft: study design elements (font use age, color schematics, anatomy, etc) and sketch them out before hitting the computer. Look at other logos for inspiration, but don't copycat verbatim and try some different techniques once you develop your signature style. There's a great wealth of knowledge and resources out there for up and comers to discover, not just here, but all over the interwebz. 

I fully admit to using that logo however i didn't copy and paste it straight on to my concept. I took it into Illustrator traced it out used the general shape but the picture @Atomic posted has very very minor differences in the fact that i made sharper edges compared to the original which has some rounder lines but yes its like a 98% copy and i admit to that lol. I study advertising in school so I'm good on photoshop and indesign but I'm self teaching myself illustrator and I'm not the best drawer either like i drew the original Mustang and its not great. 

Guest darkpiranha

As a note to anyone reading this, I think using found images is fine so long as you clearly indicate it from the get-go, and then only if you're using it as an example to show the direction you're going to go as you redesign it.   Additionally, if you're using something you found here on these boards, check with that designer and get permission before posting anything of theirs you've used as inspiration.   

You're GOING to get busted. Every time.  

So be upfront about it.  Show the original and show what you did to change it and what your intentions are for changing it further.  If you have no intentions of doing anything more than just tweaking it, prepare to be mocked and rightfully lectured.

35 minutes ago, MontyK17 said:

I fully admit to using that logo however i didn't copy and paste it straight on to my concept. I took it into Illustrator traced it out used the general shape but the picture @Atomic posted has very very minor differences in the fact that i made sharper edges compared to the original which has some rounder lines but yes its like a 98% copy and i admit to that lol. I study advertising in school so I'm good on photoshop and indesign but I'm self teaching myself illustrator and I'm not the best drawer either like i drew the original Mustang and its not great. 

Honestly, your first mustang is not bad. Like I said, your overall shape is good, but you need some refining in terms of making it look like a logo. I think you can pull off a scorpion if the mustang is a good indicator of your ability. 

on these boards, effort is always better than clip art.

Archived