Minnesota Timberwolves

Soblito

24 minutes ago, KouPilot said:

it is a shame that the first nike era NBA redesign is in Seattle Seahawks colors but I like the design of the wolf here

Nike is taking over the uniform designs, but this logo is not designed by Nike. This is all Rare Designs. The owner of Rare did work for Nike at one time, but since then his firm has designed for several NBA teams (New Orleans, Memphis, Charlotte, Atlanta, Sacramento). We can't blame Nike for this.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, KouPilot said:

it is a shame that the first nike era NBA redesign is in Seattle Seahawks colors but I like the design of the wolf here

Reminds me of the Hasselbeck era color-way specifically. Fine by me if they wanna take the mantle of double blue and light green. 

Midway.png

15 minutes ago, Funkatron101 said:

Stylistically they have shared many elements over the years. 

It seems like the Wolves are always following the Mavs.  They came in with the same color scheme and then went to drab black/blue not long after the Mavs did. 

This is about as un-Mavs as they've been (uniforms pending, of course).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

at this point it seems strange to criticize the concept when we're talking about one of the logos being a roundel. but, the "angry mascot over angry wordmark" idea is probably the most cliche in sports identity history. (maybe an interlocking monogram). it is at least out of style; very 90s type of design. the new one isn't timeless, but at least its not that and its certainly better constructed. if trends change, the new logo can be pulled apart and repurposed forever while the old logo was never any good to begin with. 

before i go on, don't take that as you can't like it. there's plenty of bad design/music/movies i like too, but i wont call them good. this isn't an attack on your opinion or you, i am just giving a straight answer in regards to the logo

the old primary's wolf is the biggest problem, its not well drawn. even when you're working in a heavily illustrated, almost cartoonish style, the colors there dont feel life like or believable. there's too much contrast and it feels as if every element is calling out for attention based on color and proportion. the wolf, trees, wordmark. . . nothing really falls into the background. the new logo does an excellent job of avoiding all of those issues.

its incredibly complex. not just in rendering, but there's too many ideas going on here. yea thats the NBA's thing, but thats not something to overlook. its always made a better t-shirt than logo, which is why you see the wolf head alone in a lot of applications. and to compare it to a similar logo, look at the UCONN husky. thats the difference between someone who can draw and someone who can't. 

i like the direction of the type, but it seems lazily put together. its an interesting mix of teeth and fur, but it looks like it was a font that was created, then the name typed out as it is. this would have been a great opportunity for a lettering approach, where each letter is meant to fit beside or together with the next. the letters all crash into each other oddly and the stroke around it makes it all worse

im sure thats all much more than you asked for, but thats my run down. if it were a clever idea i could overlook some execution issues. if it were executed well i could overlook a cliche idea. my hunch is because everyone has lived with that logo for a while and this one is so new, it will just take some time to get used to the switch. one day i think a lot of people will look back and laugh at how bad many 90s-early 2000s logos were. 

Thanks, Brandon, this was exactly the response I was asking for. I'll have to disagree with you drastically, though.

For one, as a sports fan and a player on a basketball team, I am firmly of the opinion that "angry" logos are the way to go in sports. That's why I prefer 2000's logo style to the current trend. Secondly, as a graphic designer myself, and pretty darn good at drawing (not to brag), I can tell very well that the current primary wolf is drawn rather well. Especially, considering that wolves are not usually depicted facing forward and growling at the same time, this one succeeds at it brilliantly, and I have always appreciated the way it has been executed so accurately. The dramatic lightning with the other side of the face being covered in shadow with the blue highlights has always worked for me, so I don't see any problem there at all. Comparing it to the UCONN husky, I don't see any difference in quality - on the contrary - the wolf is executed more skillfully. So, your comment about "someone who can draw and someone who can't" just doesn't apply here at all. If there's something to point out, the teeth are drawn too subtly, otherwise your comments might apply to the original KG era logo, but not this updated one.

What comes to the wordmark, I like how it's been cleaned-up and simplified from the original logo. This new logo, on the other hand, has jumped on the simple mono-weight font trend, which I think will pass by even quicker. Not to say it doesn't work there, though.

Edit: Talking about bad drawn logos, the Phoenix Coyotes logo, now that's just plain awful.

10 hours ago, truepg said:

What comes to the letter A without the crossbar, you guys arguing about it are taking it too far. Most probably, what happened there, was that the designers just took inspiration from the runes and created a similar shape that slightly resembles it. No more, no less, and doesn't have to be. Design is not science. The marketing talk, however, might have taken the rationale there where it doesn't belong.

It's a combination of the randomness of the symbolism and the marketing talk that pushes it over the top.

If the rationale was just "there's a lot of people in Minnesota with Scandinavian ancestry so we made the workmark resemble runes" then ok, I can dig it.

To claim that a specific letter is representative of a rune that references the history of wolves and the state of Minnesota though? That's not me "taking it too far." That's the team, not me, assigning meaning. My problem is that the meaning is, well, meaningless. If you're going to insist there's a meaning there? You better make sure it's accurate. Otherwise you just look stupid.

The secondary with the full wolf head not breaking through the bottom is so much better looking. They should have used that and arched Minnesota along the top and Timberwolves along the bottom. Then sprinkle in a few trees like the old secondary and it would be perfect.

2dtq5x4.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

4 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

This would look so much better without light blue. 

I think the light blue is an awesome part of it...NBA Seahawks would have been too bland.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

It seems like the Wolves are always following the Mavs.  They came in with the same color scheme and then went to drab black/blue not long after the Mavs did. 

This is about as un-Mavs as they've been (uniforms pending, of course).

The funny thing is though, that even this logo is pretty Mavs-like.  Animal head in front of a blue basketball, less green than they've ever used in a primary logo, major emphasis on blue and gray, city name arched over the basketball (which they've never done before), an overall drab, boring, and lifeless look and colors, AND now they even have a star prominently featured in their logo.  I would go so far as to say this might be the closest they've ever looked to the Mavs, and that is saying a lot.

All of that being said, the Mavs definitely need, and have needed for years, a complete overhaul way more than the Wolves did.

Not sure what it is, but the logo seems to whimsical.  There isn't enough rigidity.  I think maybe the green star is what is causing that.  That being said, I like the star, its a nice touch, I love that its worked into the seems of the ball, like the Wizards Washington Monument logo.  I love lime green coming back into the set... although I think there is still way too much blue.  And I think they missed an opportunity when they didn't hide any pine tree in the neck of the wolf.

Is it strange that it's already started to grow on me? I don't think it's nearly as bad as I did with my initial reaction. 

But it thinking about the jerseys... this round of unis (all coming out this summer) is Nikes first crack at NBA jerseys - and we all know how the first round of NFL jerseys went.... not holding very high hopes but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

10 hours ago, JerseyJosh said:

But it thinking about the jerseys... this round of unis (all coming out this summer) is Nikes first crack at NBA jerseys - and we all know how the first round of NFL jerseys went.... not holding very high hopes but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Things certainly can change but Nike did some really nice jerseys in the NBA around the turn of the century. The Lakers, Pistons, and Heat all come to mind as designs that were done by Nike, and still hold up really well today (IMO), nearly 20 years later.

On 13/04/2017 at 0:01 PM, 8BW14 said:

Do NBA teams have to have a white uniform?

Since nobody answered this; as far as I know yes, NBA teams have to wear white at home. (Except the Lakers, because grandfather clauses.) IIRC that's why the Warriors didn't do a yellow home jersey when they rebranded - they weren't allowed to.

58 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Since nobody answered this; as far as I know yes, NBA teams have to wear white at home. (Except the Lakers, because grandfather clauses.) IIRC that's why the Warriors didn't do a yellow home jersey when they rebranded - they weren't allowed to.

And even then, the Lakers have a white jersey in their rotation.

YVRMUBj.png

14 hours ago, JerseyJosh said:

Is it strange that it's already started to grow on me? I don't think it's nearly as bad as I did with my initial reaction. 

Nike did fine that last time they had a bunch of NBA teams.  The thing you worry about this time around is that nowdays these companies seem to feel the need to push their "technologies" with materials and such, sometimes leading to the goofy crap we see.  We sure as hell better not see toilet seat collars make an appearance in the NBA.

Archived