Minnesota Timberwolves

Soblito

3 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

While I'm not thrilled with this rebrand, I would actually prefer that the Wolves stick with just navy, neon green, and white (and maybe silver).  The two-tone blue not only looks dated, but it also muddles up their look.  I don't really care that they've been using that lighter blue for 20+ years; this is supposed to be a total rebrand and part of a rebrand is dropping things that need to be dropped.  Sticking with just one blue (preferably the navy blue, as it goes better with the neon green) would make their identity look less muddled. 

I don't understand the issue about them sharing a color scheme with the Seattle Seahawks.  We are talking about a color scheme that is relatively rare in pro sports, and would certainly be unique in the NBA.  I don't get these inter-sport sharing of color scheme complaints.  When the Nets rebranded, I remember a lot of complaints, but I don't recall anyone saying, "They look too much like the White Sox with that color scheme," because, well, different league, different sport.  Teams in different sports are allowed to share color schemes, and more power to them if they are at least unique color schemes in general. There is nothing wrong with that.

Completely agree on both counts.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the redesign, the wolf feels more agile and grown up and less stylized than the abstracted pine tree jaggedness of old. The more I see the more I like.

The wolves were smart to unveil the logo when they did.  The ability to create interest in at a meaningless game to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years, is prettay prettay good. But the reality is they unveiled the primary logo for the entire brand, but thats it!  Im sure the complications of Nike taking over probably played a large part in timing relative to selling merchandise with the swoosh on it. But now they are in this weird half old era half new era situation. In Thibs end of the year press conference his polo has one of the secondaries and the banner behind him still had to old front facing wolf.

It sounded like they are taking a piecemeal approach to the unveiling of other logos, courts, work marks, etc. So hopefully when it comes time to reveal the uniforms they will have a more wholistic approach to the unveiling and re-present the logos. 

Also, the connection to the northern lights has the potential to be a unique 

video graphic package for the way content is displayed for this team. Really excited to see more.

10 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

While I'm not thrilled with this rebrand, I would actually prefer that the Wolves stick with just navy, neon green, and white (and maybe silver).  The two-tone blue not only looks dated, but it also muddles up their look.  I don't really care that they've been using that lighter blue for 20+ years; this is supposed to be a total rebrand and part of a rebrand is dropping things that need to be dropped.  Sticking with just one blue (preferably the navy blue, as it goes better with the neon green) would make their identity look less muddled. 

I don't understand the issue about them sharing a color scheme with the Seattle Seahawks.  We are talking about a color scheme that is relatively rare in pro sports, and would certainly be unique in the NBA.  I don't get these inter-sport sharing of color scheme complaints.  When the Nets rebranded, I remember a lot of complaints, but I don't recall anyone saying, "They look too much like the White Sox with that color scheme," because, well, different league, different sport.  Teams in different sports are allowed to share color schemes, and more power to them if they are at least unique color schemes in general. There is nothing wrong with that.

But it's not really a total rebrand.  They're still going to use the tree pattern somewhere.  It's clear they wanted to continue to use elements from the past.  

How does the lighter blue muddle it up?  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I would like this rebrand more if there was more contrast between the wolf and ball. The ball should have been silver.

1000%  If it's too much gray then just make the face of the wolf white instead of gray, like the original Wolves logo was.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

But it's not really a total rebrand.  They're still going to use the tree pattern somewhere.  It's clear they wanted to continue to use elements from the past.  

How does the lighter blue muddle it up?  

Most NBA logos seem to emphasize, at most, 3 non-white colors.  I'm not a designer, but I think there is something to that, and I think there is good design reasoning behind that. I just don't see the need for two tones of blue.  It's too many colors.  Light blue, Navy Blue, Neon Green, Silver, White.  Very few other NBA logos have that many colors in them.  That's as many colors as OKC's logo, and one of the main complaints about that logo (among a lot) was how it had too many colors.  There's no need for all that, so drop the color that least contributes anything and least fits in, which is the light blue.  

Now if it's one of those things where the light blue is in the primary logo but doesn't show up on the uniforms, then I guess I'm okay with that.  But they don't need all 5 of those colors on their uniforms.  Rebrand with a strong but simple color scheme so that people can take you seriously.  OKC made the mistake of trying to be too many colors at once, and they still have not recovered from that 10 years later, and people are still confused as to what their main team colors really are.   I don't want the Wolves to go through that.  You don't need four non-white colors.

And no, they didn't drop everything else, and they don't have to, but they've also never been double-blue.  I'm getting the feeling that the navy will be emphasized, so ditch the other blue.  Don't look like the Mavs or the other copycat double-blue teams.  They also have had black (including black jerseys) for around 20 years, but they are managing to get rid of that color, so again, part of a rebrand has to be subtracting to go along with the adding, otherwise you end up with a cluttered mess.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's a pretty weak shot.  Would've been much stronger if they photo they chose actually showed the logo they're talking about. 

In all fairness, everything that the Coyotes franchise does is weak.

15 hours ago, jdthrillinger said:

Something like this would be fine by me..

149217994868612 (1).png

not feeling this. this is too much contrast between the elements. not everything needs to fight for attention, which was a huge problem with the previous primary. due to the proportions and color, everything was competing to be the primary element. what the new logo gets right is it uses color to set these elements back a bit. i still think theres a bit too much green, but at least that (star and eye) is where your focus is and those elements stand out first. rightfully so because they are core ideas in the logo– the north star and wolf. 

also with this, you completely lose the feeling of a night time setting or any hint at the northern lights. the "Story" that was written into the logo is gone

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

12 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

not feeling this. this is too much contrast between the elements. not everything needs to fight for attention, which was a huge problem with the previous primary. due to the proportions and color, everything was competing to be the primary element. what the new logo gets right is it uses color to set these elements back a bit. i still think theres a bit too much green, but at least that (star and eye) is where your focus is and those elements stand out first. rightfully so because they are core ideas in the logo– the north star and wolf. 

also with this, you completely lose the feeling of a night time setting or any hint at the northern lights. the "Story" that was written into the logo is gone

I agree.. The colors in the past were blue, black, green, white, with a grey wolf in the logo.. All they really did was replace the black with navy, which is essentially addition by subtraction.. They're basically becoming a "blue and green" team, even if they use two shades of blue, which are similar enough to allow for some subtlety, while being different enough to justify the use of both.. As Brandon said, the blues give a very "night time" feel to the logo (likely of the wolf howling at the moon -blue moon perhaps).. I actually think they could've gotten away with dropping the white or the grey, and settled on just one, but for the same reason, I don't mind the inclusion of either.. 

For the record, there are 5 teams with at least 4 non-white colors in their primary (celtics, grizzlies, timberwolves, thunder, and suns)

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I agree.. The colors in the past were blue, black, green, white, with a grey wolf in the logo.. All they really did was replace the black with navy, which is essentially addition by subtraction.. They're basically becoming a "blue and green" team, even if they use two shades of blue, which are similar enough to allow for some subtlety, while being different enough to justify the use of both.. As Brandon said, the blues give a very "night time" feel to the logo (likely of the wolf howling at the moon -blue moon perhaps).. I actually think they could've gotten away with dropping the white or the grey, and settled on just one, but for the same reason, I don't mind the inclusion of either.. 

For the record, there are 5 teams with at least 4 non-white colors in their primary (celtics, grizzlies, timberwolves, thunder, and suns)

There is no moon in the logo if we assume the green part of the basketball seams is the North Star.  Plus, wolves don't howl at the moon.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived