Minnesota Timberwolves

Soblito

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Community Contest: Design a new logo for the Minnesota Timberwolves! Design by fs42158

I really do like it, but think that the bottom half is a bit too much/pointy/similar to the Hornets.  What I'd love to see is someone who takes the text off, then finishes the outline of the basketball around, making it a circular logo with just the snout and ear of the wolf breaking that, then wrap the name around that.  I think that would be a vast improvement.  With that and a shift of the basketball lines, it would also help removing the tension points.

Oddly, the images except for the one I just posted won't show as images, so I'll have to pothole some links.  Anyway, looking at the other options...

There's the Decepticon Timberwolf.  I think this is designed by Don Bluth.  I... think this is a raccoon.  Is "Grupooma really just Brandiose trying to fly under the radar?  In the end, there's clearly only one winner.

On a side note, the text from this entry looks... incredibly familiar.  At first I thought the old MLB Playoffs logo, but now that I look back at it, it's not that..  Something about the mixture of the arched lettering with the two tapered lines on each side with the smaller text.

On 3/21/2017 at 11:27 PM, jaha32 said:

I agree with you here. At first I wasn't overly excited to hear the TWolves were updating since NBA logos seem to be complete hit or miss over the last 5-10 years. But after reading this project is done by the same guys (RARE Designs I think) who did the Hornets, Pelicans, Hawks, Kings, and I think Grizzlies as well, some of the better NBA looks in my opinion (although I still dislike volt in the Hawks case), I'm confident we won't end up with an OKC, Clippers, Raptors, Nets, or Warriors disappointment. 

You consider the Warrior and Nets to be disappointments?  I know the Copperplate Gothic is rough, but the rest of the Warriors identity I always saw as a good update on a classic, and I thought at the time the Nets were a triumph of design, and I've definitely seen it be successful as the team has gone from less than an afterthought to becoming a fashion statement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 3/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, GMW79 said:

Overall, I like it. The outline of the state is clever. The colors are a bit light for my taste. The nod to the North Star State would be great, except wolves howl at the moon; not stars.

Werewolves in movies howl at the moon. Actual wolves only howl to each other at night, because they're nocturnal.  

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

You consider the Warrior and Nets to be disappointments?  I know the Copperplate Gothic is rough, but the rest of the Warriors identity I always saw as a good update on a classic, and I thought at the time the Nets were a triumph of design, and I've definitely seen it be successful as the team has gone from less than an afterthought to becoming a fashion statement.

I wouldn't put the Warriors and Nets quite as low as the other three I mentioned, but I still find them underwhelming.

On the Nets, it's the lettering. I couldn't pick it out of a line up of 10 other thin sans serif fonts, as well as the way the word BROOKLYN just sits under the shield as if it was a forced afterthought. The Knicks logo on the other hand, which has a similar composition, is a good example in my mind of how to pull off a basketball logo stripped down to the basic basketball elements.

For the Warriors, I like the idea behind the similarities to THE CITY logo, but the execution is lacking to me. It's not just the Copperplate (I have nothing against Copperplate but seems awfully generic for an NBA team), it's the overly intricate bridge on the left half of the logo situated next to a blue void on the right half. Just my thoughts. I know we all have different criteria for why we like things.

Oops. I've gotten off topic. Quick, someone say something about the Timberwolves..

3 hours ago, ImmortalChef said:

Am I the only one scared about the lime green? The Hawks would have had a great new identity if it weren't for the neon green.

No.  I am nervous this is going to have some Hawks characteristics.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

Can someone post an example of the sota font, I have no idea what that is

They meant that the home jersey had "SOTA" written on the front, short for "MinneSOTA". However, I don't think I've ever heard anyone every call Minnesota "Sota".

The tweeter says it was a grey uniform (meant to be the primary home) with lime green "SOTA" on the front.

Aaaaannnnnddddddd... just like that I am not so optimistic about how this rebrand is going to turn out. (However, I want them to go modern, not back to their original look - their original look was dated when it came out, and that hasn't changed today)

ExJworW.png

44 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

They meant that the home jersey had "SOTA" written on the front, short for "MinneSOTA". However, I don't think I've ever heard anyone every call Minnesota "Sota".

The tweeter says it was a grey uniform (meant to be the primary home) with lime green "SOTA" on the front.

Aaaaannnnnddddddd... just like that I am not so optimistic about how this rebrand is going to turn out. (However, I want them to go modern, not back to their original look - their original look was dated when it came out, and that hasn't changed today)

Oh, well in that case I am setting my expectations at the bottom

AwvgSX4.png

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Their original look was dated when it came out back in 1989?  I don't think so.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived