MLB TV contract

The SHOW

As I'm watching MLB TV on my PS4 I've been thinking and this is how I would do the TV contract for MLB

ABC- Monday Night 

MLB/NBC- Friday Night 

CBS - Saturday (AL)

FOX- Saturday  (NL)

NBCSN- Saturday Night 

ESPN- Sunday Night 

From my "Sports in 2100" series

National TV Rights: NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC (OTA), Fox Sports 1, ESPN, NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network

Games will also be broadcast on Youtube, Hulu

Home Run Derby: Rotated between NBC, CBS, and FOX, similar to the Super Bowl
All-Star Game: Rotated between NBC, CBS, and FOX, similar to the Super Bowl
Tiebreakers: ESPN/FS1 in even years, CBSSN in odd years

AL Wild Card game: Rotated between NBCSN in even years, ESPN in odd years
NL Wild Card game: Rotated between CBSSN in even years, and FS1 in odd years
American League Division Series: Rotated between FS1/FOX in even years, and CBSSN/CBS in odd years
National League Division Series: ESPN/ABC in even years, NBC/NBCSN in odd years
American League Championship Series: NBCSN/NBC in even years, ESPN/ABC in odd years
National League Championship Series: Rotated between CBSSN/CBS in even years, and FS1/FOX in odd years
World Series: Rotated between NBC, CBS, and FOX, and ABC similar to the Super Bowl

15 hours ago, The SHOW said:

As I'm watching MLB TV on my PS4 I've been thinking and this is how I would do the TV contract for MLB

ABC- Monday Night 

MLB/NBC- Friday Night 

CBS - Saturday (AL)

FOX- Saturday  (NL)

NBCSN- Saturday Night 

ESPN- Sunday Night 

I don't think NBCSN is quite big enough for their own broadcast. Maybe TBS should be back in the game so they don't just show up randomly during playoffs.

15 hours ago, The SHOW said:

ABC- Monday Night 

MLB/NBC- Friday Night 

CBS - Saturday (AL)

FOX- Saturday  (NL)

NBCSN- Saturday Night 

ESPN- Sunday Night 

Guaranteed three of those primetime games would feature the Cardinals.

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, rsaline said:

I don't think NBCSN is quite big enough for their own broadcast. Maybe TBS should be back in the game so they don't just show up randomly during playoffs.

You're Probably right that's why I picked NBCSN over CBSSN and I was thinking TBS do Saturday Night after the All Star Game 

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

From my "Sports in 2100" series

National TV Rights: NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC (OTA), Fox Sports 1, ESPN, NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network

Games will also be broadcast on Youtube, Hulu

Home Run Derby: Rotated between NBC, CBS, and FOX, similar to the Super Bowl
All-Star Game: Rotated between NBC, CBS, and FOX, similar to the Super Bowl
Tiebreakers: ESPN/FS1 in even years, CBSSN in odd years

AL Wild Card game: Rotated between NBCSN in even years, ESPN in odd years
NL Wild Card game: Rotated between CBSSN in even years, and FS1 in odd years
American League Division Series: Rotated between FS1/FOX in even years, and CBSSN/CBS in odd years
National League Division Series: ESPN/ABC in even years, NBC/NBCSN in odd years
American League Championship Series: NBCSN/NBC in even years, ESPN/ABC in odd years
National League Championship Series: Rotated between CBSSN/CBS in even years, and FS1/FOX in odd years
World Series: Rotated between NBC, CBS, and FOX, and ABC similar to the Super Bowl

I like that idea and especially the games being on Hulu and YouTube just like the NFL

I think NBCSN is happy with soccer and hockey. They've got a niche sport in hockey that they have almost exclusive rights to (the Universal umbrella, that is) and they paid a ton to get the English Premier League away from Fox.  I just wish NBCSN had MLS to help promote it from the EPL broadcasts. Always find it funny that Sky sports advertises MLS on the field sideboards of EPL games hoping to draw eyeballs thanks to it, like the EPL in the US, being on at odd times without direct competition.

As for baseball. The problem is nobody cares about it unless it's their team playing. Which is why Sunday Night Baseball favors the big markets at a staggering rate. They need those local fans to tune in to make the audience respectable. I'm an Indians fan. The number of regular season Indians games I've watched in whole or at least a few innings in the past three years was probably 100-150. I think I've watched maybe 2 or 3 games not involving the Indians in that same time frame (though not in person, as when I travel, I like to attend live games where I'm at).

Actually, I've been to three MLB games in person in the past three years (Tampa Bay v. Toronto, Atlanta v. Boston, and Cincinnati v. St. Louis). Now, I will watch some playoff baseball. And try to watch the  World Series. Or at least the first game or so until one team gets away from the other or the Game 6 or 7 when I know a champion could be crowned.

Pirates were on KDKA while Indians were on WUAB (an independent station). Most Pirates games were on a channel called KBL (a cable channel owned by KDKA or started by them) that later became Fox Sports Pittsburgh, FSN Pittsburgh, and when the FSN idea fell through, broke off with a few others the owned by the same group as Root Sports Pittsburgh.

Indians went from WUAB to Fox Sports Ohio. And then STO, and then STO and FSO appeared to have merged together. Fox Sports Ohio was always a pain, because they had three feeds (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati) and you never knew which was going to be on what for quite some time. Especially when I lived in PA and we first got it, since we had FSN Pittsburgh and national channels airing a game would be blacked out to watch on your 'local' channel which we didn't get. It was maddening.

11 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

I missed TBS's Sunday afternoon (1 ET) games from a couple years back. Gave me something to do before the Rockies came on.

TBS still has a Sunday afternoon package but it only covers the second half of the season.

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Pirates were on KDKA while Indians were on WUAB (an independent station). Most Pirates games were on a channel called KBL (a cable channel owned by KDKA or started by them) that later became Fox Sports Pittsburgh, FSN Pittsburgh, and when the FSN idea fell through, broke off with a few others the owned by the same group as Root Sports Pittsburgh.

Indians went from WUAB to Fox Sports Ohio. And then STO, and then STO and FSO appeared to have merged together. Fox Sports Ohio was always a pain, because they had three feeds (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati) and you never knew which was going to be on what for quite some time. Especially when I lived in PA and we first got it, since we had FSN Pittsburgh and national channels airing a game would be blacked out to watch on your 'local' channel which we didn't get. It was maddening.

I know what you mean I grew up watching the Dodgers on KTTV, the Angels on KTLA and the Padres on KUSI. I get it that they're not much indy channel but they could still put games on free TV when the Padres signed a 15 years contract with COX they were smart to include KUSI and later XETV in the deal. 

Dream scenario: 

I'd have the NBC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoon. Just one, no regional feeds. Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN, of course, plus weeknight games here and there as the season goes. Braves on TBS, Cubs on WGN. NBC and ESPN split October, World Series on NBC, with any weekend games played during the day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived