MLB TV contract

The SHOW

40 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Trashass 2016 Braves still > eleventyhundred Big Bang reruns.

That, or the Law & Order, CSI, or SVU, NCIS, CPAP or whatever crap keeps getting reaired on TBS and TNT non-stop. At least FXX doesn't beat around the bush with their love affair of the Simpsons (the channel basically exists because of their contract to syndicate them).

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2016 at 3:45 AM, the admiral said:

Dream scenario: 

I'd have the NBC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoon. Just one, no regional feeds. Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN, of course, plus weeknight games here and there as the season goes. Braves on TBS, Cubs on WGN. NBC and ESPN split October, World Series on NBC, with any weekend games played during the day.

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. The only thing better would be Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola calling the NBC GOTW like the old days. Some people should get a pass on aging and, you know, dying. 

BB52Big.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's my dream one influenced by The SHOW's version:

All four "local news based" networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) will broadcasting games their "hometown" teams as well as nationally televised games, while occasionally go over to their "sister-stations" on cable in case of breaking national news, award shows, etc.

American League: CBS (All Regular Season games including Divisional Series & League Championship Series)

National League: NBC (All Regular Season games including Divisional Series & League Championship Series)

Nightly Game of the Week: ABC

Weekend (Day & Night) Game of the Week: FOX

All-Star Game/Home Run Derby/Celebrity Softball Game: Rotate between the four every year like NFL's Super Bowl

World Series: Rotate between the four every year like NFL's Super Bowl

AL/NL Divisional Tiebreaker: FOX, ABC

Wild Card Game: AL: ABC(Even Years)/FOX(Odd Years), NL: FOX(Even Years)/ABC(Odd Years)

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

To be quite honest, the World Series games on the weekend shouldn't be 8pm start times.  I'd rather them be during the afternoon.  In fact, make that for most of the playoff games.  i get why they do things the way they do but it's just not logical in the end

Getting all four networks involved in baseball seems like overkill.

CBS dumping the money truck to wrest baseball from them (and then doing a piss-poor job with the contract anyway!) ultimately cost them the NFC and a ton of affiliates. Baseball never should have left NBC; every subsequent network has tripped on its dick with the property.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I remember enjoying the NBC baseball coverage, but I'm in no hurry for them to get back the contract. I enjoy watching World Series games live and would hate to have to watch it on tape delay.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On August 15, 2016 at 3:36 PM, tohasbo said:

To be quite honest, the World Series games on the weekend shouldn't be 8pm start times.  I'd rather them be during the afternoon.  In fact, make that for most of the playoff games.  i get why they do things the way they do but it's just not logical in the end

And playing the World Series in the afternoon would be logical?

31 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Maybe not afternoon, but I'd take a 6pm eastern time slot.

Because a 3pm start time in San Fran or LA (who are we kidding? the Dodgers are never getting back) makes a hell of a lot of sense...

6uXNWAo.png

20 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Because a 3pm start time in San Fran or LA (who are we kidding? the Dodgers are never getting back) makes a hell of a lot of sense...

True, guess that's probably why 8pm is the standard slot.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

True, guess that's probably why 8pm is the standard slot.

Exactly. A lot of us on the East Coast (understandably) complain about late start times, forgetting about the rest of the country. There's a reason games start at 8 PM - it allows the game to be played (mostly) in an evening time slot for the whole country.

Though frankly, 8 PM sharp isn't very late - it's the start of the primetime window, and only an hour later than the traditional evening start time for ball games.

8 hours ago, kroywen said:

Exactly. A lot of us on the East Coast (understandably) complain about late start times, forgetting about the rest of the country. There's a reason games start at 8 PM - it allows the game to be played (mostly) in an evening time slot for the whole country.

Though frankly, 8 PM sharp isn't very late - it's the start of the primetime window, and only an hour later than the traditional evening start time for ball games.

I'd be fine with 7pm.

Yeah, 4 p.m. would be fine too. I leave work to "work from home" all the dame time to watch sports. My situation is perhaps atypical, but I find west coast working norms to be far more relaxed than the east.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, tohasbo said:

I'd be fine with 7pm.

Question is, are you on the East Coast, or the West (or somewhere in the middle)? 7 PM ET generally works well for those of us in the Eastern Time Zone, but that start time works less and less the further west you go. 

The priority is always to maximize the number of people who can easily watch, and thus maximize the actual number of people watching. A 4 PM start out west (and frankly, even a 6 PM start in the Central) would probably diminish overall viewership, relative to the very minimal gains in viewership in the East.

The thing about the 8 et start time is how many east coast people are turning the games off because they have to go to bed.  Wouldn't a station rather keep those people at the expense of some west coasters missing the start?  

I don't really care about the network and who covers what, but MLB Network should have day games several times a week and an evening game on any night no other network has a game.  With the current contracts, it'd be 

Sun afternoon: TBS 

Sun/Wed: ESPN

Tues/Sat: FS1

Mon/Th/Fri: MLBN

I don't need NBC back in baseball; I don't need their "context".  

Oh and if TBS just has to pick a playoff "theme" song each year go for it, but it can only be played once before the game and once after.  

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived