Who Wears Short Shorts? MLB in shorts '77 UPDATE 10/2: Cubs, Rangers, Angels, M's Tweaks

coco1997

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

You are handrawing these (right?) if so, they are perfect to every last detail which is hard to do

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, they are hand drawn.

@hockey week, now that I've posted the rest of the league, do you have any more ideas to "spice up" the shorts/socks?

The furthest outside the box you've moved were the numbers on the Astros' shorts. That was a great move, definitely fit the mold. 

I think you have to decide where this concept series goes. Is it an alternate timeline with more shorts? Does it become a summertime thing, or would a few teams make it their primary look? Would these shorts alter a team's jersey history, as in they make an impact significant enough that they influence the regular set? I would think there has to be some southern team that would see shorts as a permanent benefit...or perhaps it would become a staple of spring training leagues and batting practice. 

Or do you continue with independent matchups where the shorts get broken out? 

Or does this become a here-and-there set of interesting uniforms where you have an idea?

I think the bumblebee Pirates are easy, pinstriped Yankees are a must, Chief Wahoo on the Indians makes sense, stripes are a good idea, piping is a good idea, maybe an abstract design or two...you gotta think outside the box here. I think this series is too good to not explore the space a bit more than you are.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On June 4, 2016 at 9:21 PM, hockey week said:

The furthest outside the box you've moved were the numbers on the Astros' shorts. That was a great move, definitely fit the mold. 

I think you have to decide where this concept series goes. Is it an alternate timeline with more shorts? Does it become a summertime thing, or would a few teams make it their primary look? Would these shorts alter a team's jersey history, as in they make an impact significant enough that they influence the regular set? I would think there has to be some southern team that would see shorts as a permanent benefit...or perhaps it would become a staple of spring training leagues and batting practice. 

Or do you continue with independent matchups where the shorts get broken out? 

Or does this become a here-and-there set of interesting uniforms where you have an idea?

I think the bumblebee Pirates are easy, pinstriped Yankees are a must, Chief Wahoo on the Indians makes sense, stripes are a good idea, piping is a good idea, maybe an abstract design or two...you gotta think outside the box here. I think this series is too good to not explore the space a bit more than you are.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm done new shorts for the Braves, Pirates and Phillies based on your suggestions and they all look great. I also gave the Yankees, Orioles, Cardinals and Red Sox new hosiery and they look great. It's just a matter of scanning them in and getting them online. 

One of the teams I'm stuck on is the Tigers. They have such a plain look but I want to do something interesting with it. At least for the Yankees, giving them pinstriped socks seemed like the logical next move. But with Detroit I'm not sure where to go. 

Also, how are you picturing Chief Wahoo on the Indians short? Just his face on one of the pant legs? 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm done new shorts for the Braves, Pirates and Phillies based on your suggestions and they all look great. I also gave the Yankees, Orioles, Cardinals and Red Sox new hosiery and they look great. It's just a matter of scanning them in and getting them online. 

One of the teams I'm stuck on is the Tigers. They have such a plain look but I want to do something interesting with it. At least for the Yankees, giving them pinstriped socks seemed like the logical next move. But with Detroit I'm not sure where to go. 

Also, how are you picturing Chief Wahoo on the Indians short? Just his face on one of the pant legs? 

I can't wait to see them! I'm excited now!

For the Indians, I'm literally thinking somewhere between these two

ff_879825_xl.jpg$_35.JPG

Just a decent-sized logo on their shorts. 

The logical move with Detroit is to make thick, but traditional striping based on what their pants had around that time, basically make a home version of the road uniform. Stepping slightly further outside the box, you could use one of their lesser-known logos on those shorts just like Wahoo

ffflmrchxae7glqg58dw.gifqz3plfchujmjek1ll2do.gif

or even a big gothic D logo on the side.

Really outside the box would be figuring some way to make Bengals-style stripes on the shorts, but that would require some real effort. 

Hopefully that helps. I can't wait to see the other stuff!

On 6/5/2016 at 11:46 AM, hockey week said:

I can't wait to see them! I'm excited now!

For the Indians, I'm literally thinking somewhere between these two

ff_879825_xl.jpg$_35.JPG

Just a decent-sized logo on their shorts. 

The logical move with Detroit is to make thick, but traditional striping based on what their pants had around that time, basically make a home version of the road uniform. Stepping slightly further outside the box, you could use one of their lesser-known logos on those shorts just like Wahoo

ffflmrchxae7glqg58dw.gifqz3plfchujmjek1ll2do.gif

or even a big gothic D logo on the side.

Really outside the box would be figuring some way to make Bengals-style stripes on the shorts, but that would require some real effort. 

Hopefully that helps. I can't wait to see the other stuff!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give you a little bit of an update on my progress...

I've decided to give the Tigers orange with tiger-striped socks and stick with navy shorts. I'm on the fence about putting the gothic "D" on the shorts. I think the side stripes, "D" and striped socks might be a bit overkill. I'll try a few different combos to see what works best. Either way the Tigers are going to look a lot more interesting than they do now!

For the Tribe, I'm going to keep red shorts, but I might make Wahoo's face white. Also, I'm going to try out the cartoon bird's face on the Orioles shorts.

For the Royals, I was thinking about putting a crown pattern along the bottoms of the shorts. Would that be too much?

I'm planning to post my updated concepts once I've tweaked every team in the league. Any ideas for the following teams would be appreciated:

- Cubs

- Mets

- Expos

- Padres

- Giants

- Mariners

- Blue Jays

- Angels

- Rangers

- Twins

- Brewers

- Dodgers

- Reds

On 6/9/2016 at 4:55 PM, hockey week said:

The Royals thing sounds like a nifty idea. Get some of these posted! I'll get back to thinking of more ideas when I have more time. I can't wait to see what you've come up with!

Ask and you shall receive!

I've gotten a fair number of tweaks done. Any C&C on these would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm still looking for some suggestions for the aforementioned teams in my last post.

Yanks-BoSox.jpg

As promised, the Yankees get pinstriped socks. The Red Sox get actual red socks based on their stirrups from the time. I know you suggested some teams might opt for all white, tennis-style shorts. I was thinking of doing this for Boston, so that the socks stand out more. Thoughts?

Tigers-Os.jpg

I had a lot of fun messing around with the Tigers. A team that's known for being staunchly traditional now gets crazy tiger-striped socks. I also used your idea to add a big gothic 'D' to the shorts. For the Orioles, I went the monochrome orange route with the cartoon bird on the shorts and gave them some nice striped socks.

Braves-Astros.jpg

As originally planned, the Braves now get feathers on the sides of their shorts. I also added tequila sunrise stripes to the Astros' socks. I know I still need to figure out a pattern for the Braves' socks. Any suggestions?

Very Nice! Just fantastic! I think that's a great idea and fantastic execution. The tiger stripe socks, the all-orange Orioles, the feather shorts, all excellent! 

I'd put a basic faux-stirrup (softball-style) on the socks on the Braves. You need something, but it should be low-key. 

Keep this up! This needs some love from the board, because you've stepped outside the box and knocked this out of the park.

51 minutes ago, hockey week said:

Very Nice! Just fantastic! I think that's a great idea and fantastic execution. The tiger stripe socks, the all-orange Orioles, the feather shorts, all excellent! 

I'd put a basic faux-stirrup (softball-style) on the socks on the Braves. You need something, but it should be low-key. 

Keep this up! This needs some love from the board, because you've stepped outside the box and knocked this out of the park.

Thanks! 

Any ideas for the other teams I mentioned? 

A few more tweaks this evening...

Bucs-Phils.jpg

Per @hockey week's suggestions, the Pirates get shorts modeled after their cap. The Phillies get powder blue shorts based on their road unis of the time. Suggestions for sock patterns are welcome.

ChiSox-Tribe.jpg

Also based on hockey week's suggestion, the Indians get new shorts with Chief Wahoo on them. I'm not 100% sold on how the Indians turned out. Maybe they need red socks instead of navy?

I think the Indians need white socks with stripes that match the jersey sleeves. 

Beautiful work! That turned out fantastically! Amazing stuff!

As for the other teams, I say you need to look at the teams' pants stripes, logos, and jersey stripes, and pick some realistic things, and a few outside the box things. You've been doing great stuff already, just keep it up. Look a gym shorts, look at NBA shorts, look at hockey pants, and draw inspiration there. All sorts of ideas are out there, better than what I could suggest. 

Keep up the great work!!!

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

I think the Indians need white socks with stripes that match the jersey sleeves. 

Beautiful work! That turned out fantastically! Amazing stuff!

As for the other teams, I say you need to look at the teams' pants stripes, logos, and jersey stripes, and pick some realistic things, and a few outside the box things. You've been doing great stuff already, just keep it up. Look a gym shorts, look at NBA shorts, look at hockey pants, and draw inspiration there. All sorts of ideas are out there, better than what I could suggest. 

Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, which teams do you think would work best with white shorts rather than colored ones?

Well, it depends on which jersey you're going to use. If you're doing white shorts with a white jersey, traditional is better. Twins or Brewers come to mind. 

But if you're doing it with a colored jersey, use something that already works, a team that wore white pants with that colored jersey. Padres, Giants, or even White Sox would work for that, among what you've listed.

For the braves I think the socks would look good if they were blue with a red-white-red northwestern stripe, also I think the Pirates would look good with some yellow socks to match the jersey. Awesome series, keep up the good work!

10 hours ago, hockey week said:

Well, it depends on which jersey you're going to use. If you're doing white shorts with a white jersey, traditional is better. Twins or Brewers come to mind. 

But if you're doing it with a colored jersey, use something that already works, a team that wore white pants with that colored jersey. Padres, Giants, or even White Sox would work for that, among what you've listed.

Thanks! I'll take those suggestions into consideration.

Here's a small update for this morning:

Cubs-Cards.jpg

The Cardinals now get red socks based on their famous striped stirrups. 

I have a question about pinstriped socks. Do you think they would work on teams like the Cubs and Phillies, or would they be something unique to the Yankees? 

Archived