Who Wears Short Shorts? MLB in shorts '77 UPDATE 10/2: Cubs, Rangers, Angels, M's Tweaks

coco1997

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After about a month and a half, I'm back! I took a break to work on my MLB Rivalry Faceoff Series because I was in a bit of creative rut as far as this series went, but when the White Sox 1976 throwbacks made the news for an unfortunate reason a few weeks ago, an article on Uni-Watch provided some welcome inspiration. Here are a few teams I've tweaked since then:

DODGERS-REDS

LAD-Reds%20Shorts.jpg

The Dodgers now get pinstriped shorts. Why pinstripes, you ask? I got the idea from the Hollywood Stars, who were affiliated with the Brooklyn Dodgers and wore shorts for four seasons between 1950-53. I also gave the Dodgers blue stirrups.

TWINS-BREWERS

Twins%20Brewers%20Shorts.jpg

Next up are the Twins and Brewers. Per @hockey week's suggestion, I switched the Twins' shorts from red to white. I also gave them navy stirrups with the "TC" logo on them.

For the Brewers, I was reading that the Sacramento Solons, who were a minor league affiliate of the Brewers in the mid '70s, also wore shorts for one season. Hence the shorts and hosiery are based on the Solons.

PADRES-GIANTS

Pads-Giants%20Shorts.jpg

I also made some tweaks to the Padres and Giants. I put the Padres in white shorts with yellow sanis and brown stirrups, and I based the Giants' new hosiery on the fauxback two-in-ones they wore when they faced the Red Sox a few weeks ago for Turn Back the Clock Night.

C&C appreciated! And as always, any suggestions for the remaining teams that need tweaking are always welcome.

A few more tweaks for today...

PIRATES-PHILLIES 

Bucs-Phillies%20Shorts.jpg

Not really sure the new hosiery fits the Pirates. I'm thinking about changing it to just a solid gold stirrup. The Phillies get plain burgundy stirrups. 

CUBS-CARDINALS

Cubs-Cards%20Shorts.jpg

Only tweak here is the Cardinals get white shorts instead of red, a decision I made after seeing this Houston Buffaloes uniform. I'm still trying to think of something fun and crazy to do for the Cubs, as I feel it would fit them. Any suggestions are welcome! 

Just now, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Only tweak I would add is blue socks for the Cubs which would work better with the pinstripes.

I thought about that, but I felt blue shorts and blue socks would be overkill. 

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread but didn't get much feedback, so I'll ask here, too: Does anyone have any photos of unique or one-of-a-kind stirrups worn by players in the '70s? What I mean by unique is that I saw a photo of an Astros pitcher with the tequila sunrise pattern on his stirrups, and this was obviously not standard issue back then. I'm trying to find more inspiration for this series.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

How about something Chicago Flag-esque on the Cubs' socks? 

14 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

I wonder how the shorts would look if more of them had a number on them or perhaps a logo, like basketball or soccer.

EDIT: Wait, looks like you already did that with the Pirates. Looks great. You should do that with more teams. 

Thanks, guys! I might try out your suggestions. I wanted to base as many shorts and hosiery designs as possible on actual looks players wore back in the day, which is why I solicited photos of one-off or unique socks players might have worn in the '70s, a la the tequila sunrise striped Astros socks. 

Any suggestions for any of the following teams?

- Cubs

- Mets

- Royals 

- Expos

- Mariners

- Blue Jays

- Angels

- Rangers

- Reds

Cubs: Flag (something)

Mets: Skyline

Royals: Crown going around the top

Expos: fleur-de-lis on the side 

Mariners: Pilots' style

Blue Jay: (see city flag) or just two lines

Angels: the half blue/red

Rangers: that's a tough one, maybe this logo might inspire something: image.jpeg

Reds: image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Cubs: Flag (something)

Mets: Skyline

Royals: Crown going around the top

Expos: fleur-de-lis on the side 

Mariners: Pilots' style

Blue Jay: (see city flag) or just two lines

Angels: the half blue/red

Rangers: that's a tough one, maybe this logo might inspire something: image.jpeg

Reds: image.jpeg

Are these suggestions for the shorts or caps? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "half red/half blue" for the Angels.

3 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

How about Miami and Tampa Bay? If anyone would think shorts was a viable solution it would be one of the Florida teams. 

Another idea, maybe branch out into the Caribbean? Havana Sugar Kings? San Juan, PR?

Haha, I wanted to keep this just to teams that were around in '77 (the idea being that the White Sox shorts caught on and spread across the whole league) but it's a fun thought.

So you've already taken the "what if shorts caught on in '77 around the league?" and made it amazing...like truly beyond what I was expecting. 

Why not make the next step either "what if they didn't go away in '77?" and pursue what teams might keep a pair in their uniform rotation (these don't have to be the only thing they wear, obviously), and if a team is crazy enough to 1) make it their primary look (maybe it's hot where they play most of their games) and 2) design a uniform set around the shorts, from the start. That's much more creative for you.

OR

If you want to get into being really different and some fun research, ask "what if the shorts caught on in the southern minor leagues?" and do some of those weird teams from all over the hottest weather, and you could do whole leagues of concepts people on here never see. That's much more research-heavy and based in reality for you.

Either way, this is awesome work, the artwork, the presentation, and the execution are all top-notch.The question now is where, if anywhere, you want to go with this.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

17 minutes ago, hockey week said:

So you've already taken the "what if shorts caught on in '77 around the league?" and made it amazing...like truly beyond what I was expecting. 

Why not make the next step either "what if they didn't go away in '77?" and pursue what teams might keep a pair in their uniform rotation (these don't have to be the only thing they wear, obviously), and if a team is crazy enough to 1) make it their primary look (maybe it's hot where they play most of their games) and 2) design a uniform set around the shorts, from the start. That's much more creative for you.

OR

If you want to get into being really different and some fun research, ask "what if the shorts caught on in the southern minor leagues?" and do some of those weird teams from all over the hottest weather, and you could do whole leagues of concepts people on here never see. That's much more research-heavy and based in reality for you.

Either way, this is awesome work, the artwork, the presentation, and the execution are all top-notch.The question now is where, if anywhere, you want to go with this.

Thanks for the feedback! You've given me some interesting ideas. I still have the itch to perfect my '77 era concepts, so I'm still looking for feedback on the aforementioned teams (Cubs, Mets, Expos, etc.) but once I finally have those teams to my liking I'll definitely consider going beyond '77 and into the minors.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I like the Hollywood Stars reference on the Dodgers. Only tweak I would add is blue socks for the Cubs which would work better with the pinstripes.

This photo of a Cubs ballgirl from the 1980s has convinced me how they should look:

marla.jpg

Pinstriped shorts and blue stirrups. I had wanted to do this for the Mets but I don't want to two teams to look identical. 

Archived