My 1st Custom Font (6/5 Update)

ATolly66

Good work. I always appreciate a geometrically consistent font and have been wanting to get into font making myself.

Critiques:

-While the 4 is unique, I don't think it comes across clearly as a 4 with the top left arm barely there.

-This may be a personal preference but the straight vertical leg on the 7 makes for a lot of empty space to the left.

-The middle of the 3 is the only place where any leg/arm comes to a "sword-like" point

40 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

Good work. I always appreciate a geometrically consistent font and have been wanting to get into font making myself.

Critiques:

-While the 4 is unique, I don't think it comes across clearly as a 4 with the top left arm barely there.

-This may be a personal preference but the straight vertical leg on the 7 makes for a lot of empty space to the left.

-The middle of the 3 is the only place where any leg/arm comes to a "sword-like" point

I took your feedback with stride. I agree with the 4 & 7. The 7 was easy to fix, but I'm struggling with the 4. As for the 3, I felt the sword-like point was appropriate due to the angles created by the upper and lower left corners.

Here's an UPDATED version.. 

alecfont.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Cool so far.  My only real feedback is that I'm not sensing a consistent set of rules for when a hook is used as opposed to a wedge as opposed to a squared-off end.  For example, I'd expect the hook to be on top of the 5, just like it is for the other numbers.  The 7 and 4 ends probably need to have sharper angles at the end, the same angle/sharpness it would be if that diagonal line was straight.  Right now the angles match the angles of the straight/flat lines,which is giving it a weird effect.

The original 4 was better than the updated 4 IMO and if the fix for the short left arm would be doing the left arm similar to this. I would also consider angling the right angle on the far left of the 4.

alecfont_jpg_4.jpg

Also the original 7 is better IMO to the updated 7. I think the fix would be to add a dogleg and make the tail of the 7 like the tails of the 1 and the 4 similar to this. (My dogleg is too thick IMO but it should get the idea across.

alecfont_jpg_7.jpg

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The letters B, D, M, and W all seem too narrow in comparison to the other letters. I would guess that you made them all the same height and width (which is fine). I wouldn't reduce the width on M and W as they are proportionally wider than most letters, and the normal widths of B and D should't be narrowed only to include the spikey serifs.

Think about changing the crossbars on the B and E to match the crossbars on the F, G and H.

Guest darkpiranha
1 hour ago, Whitefoot said:

The letters B, D, M, and W all seem too narrow in comparison to the other letters. I would guess that you made them all the same height and width (which is fine). I wouldn't reduce the width on M and W as they are proportionally wider than most letters, and the normal widths of B and D should't be narrowed only to include the spikey serifs.

Think about changing the crossbars on the B and E to match the crossbars on the F, G and H.

Agree with all of this, and would also suggest possibly making the R and K use the same angling as you did for the 7.   Any time I see the squared off end, it jumps out as not matching the pointiness in every other situation.   Also, the H and K sidebars are trapezoids, where all other examples of straight lines (like the 1 or I) use parallelograms.  

Nice start.

When you have the angle on the stems of the letters they optically look shorter then ones that don’t. Example: G vs I, S vs T I would take a look at resolving this issue first and really decide if it’s worth having that angle in each character.

Thick/Thin-most of the strokes have a thinner weight to them while verticals and horizontals have a thicker weight, this can work in some fonts but in this case where such aggressive hard angles are being used they tend to fight against one another. Ex. the stroke on the R where is becomes the stem.

Resolving the above two issues will help, then you could look at these issues.

For the construction of the letters:
H-feels like it’s disjointed a bit
J-Top arm doesn’t look like it’s needed
K-Joining of two stokes seems off, character is very wide
M/W-Optically looks very thin compared to other characters, it can be wider than most characters
Q-Why not use the O and add the tail?
T-Seems thin and short
X-Clean up the intersection where the strokes meet
1-seems short
4-needs a better solution, looks chopped in half

I tried adding a tail to the "Q", but it was creating too much dead space. All the characters are the same length and width (with conception to the I and 1). 

The K has been my toughest challenge. I try to apply some of the feedback, especially for the "H, J, K & X"

Guest darkpiranha

It may be one point too many, but try the X/Y tip on the upper tip of the K.  The K has the only squared off end of all the letters and numbers, and that stands out to me.  

Archived