Luke_Groundrunner

Coyotes announce AHL affiliate's move to Tucson + team naming contest.

Arizona Coyotes announced last night via Twitter that their farm team (formerly known as the Springfield Falcons) are moving to Tucson, Arizona, and at the same time announced a name the team campaign. 

Sidewinders

Tuscon Jets

41 minutes ago, JQK said:

Tuscon Jets

Why would they go with the name of another NHL team, and the former name of the relocated franchise that preceded their NHL parent?

18 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Why would they go with the name of another NHL team, and the former name of the relocated franchise that preceded their NHL parent?

*thats_the_joke.png*

16 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The Milwaukee Brewers had an affiliation with a New York-Penn League team called the Newark Co-Pilots (that's not Newark, NJ, but Newark, NY, up between Syracuse and Rochester) until the late 1970s.

Not strictly analogous, of course, because there was no other Major League Baseball team called "Pilots", and because the affiliation was continuous from the Brewers' days as the Seattle Pilots.  But, I just thought I'd throw it in.  (Couldn't help myself.)

Hopefully they won't fold midway through a season like the Gila Monsters did in 1998.

2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

*thats_the_joke.png*

You suck McBain!

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

Tuscon Roadrunners.

That ^^ was my first choice. I submitted these two names.

Tucson Roadrunners

Tucson Scorpions 

Tucson Warthogs 

the group my granddad flew in during WW2 is now station there (at Davis–Monthan Air Force Base) and the group now flies A-10 Thunderbolt 2 (aka the Warthog).  

Tucson Javelinas. They're angry, nasty and abundant in southern Arizona.

12 hours ago, Luke_Groundrunner said:
14 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Tucson Roadrunners.

That ^^ was my first choice.

It is a befitting name for the region, though I was thinking that they might be more successful than their parent club :P

Roadrunners should be the winner, but I can live with something with history in the city like Mavericks (70's hockey team) or Toros (even though its history is in baseball).

I personally like Tucson Lobos best. It's a good nod to the parent organization without being a carbon copy. It lets the franchise build their own identity. They could do dark grey, turquoise, sand and white for colors.

Roadrunners is likely the strongest contender, and I also really like Javelinas and Tarantulas (what can I say, I've always had a soft spot for alliterative branding).

Hey I live there ! ;) But, I like Roadrunners, or Rattlers.