Coyotes announce AHL affiliate's move to Tucson + team naming contest.

18 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Tucson Roadrunners.

Basically what I want, although I would go with Arizona 

1 hour ago, H11K said:

Hey I live there ! ;) But, I like Roadrunners, or Rattlers.

I don't think we will get Rattlers imo. Too close to the Arena Football team 

On 5/19/2016 at 10:57 AM, BeerGuyJordan said:

I personally like Tucson Lobos best. It's a good nod to the parent organization without being a carbon copy. It lets the franchise build their own identity. They could do dark grey, turquoise, sand and white for colors.

Roadrunners is likely the strongest contender, and I also really like Javelinas and Tarantulas (what can I say, I've always had a soft spot for alliterative branding).

Even though the UofA/UNM rivalry is pretty much idle these days, I still can’t see a team from Tucson being named the Lobos.

6fQjS3M.png

Roadrunners is more associated with Phoenix, and Tucsoners aren't usually enamored with most things Phoenix.

I sent in Javelinas as my entry - mainly because it's a bit different and lends itself to a lot of mascot and merchandising possibilities.

On 5/21/2016 at 7:41 PM, crashcarson15 said:

Even though the UofA/UNM rivalry is pretty much idle these days, I still can’t see a team from Tucson being named the Lobos.

I did consider that, but UNM is more Avalanche territory that Coyotes. Yeah, I grew up in southern AZ, and a UNM rivalry, as far as I can remember, was pretty much a non-entity. Mainly ASU and a good bit of animosity for the few teams that were also considered basketball hevyweights during the late 90's/early 2000's.

On 5/21/2016 at 9:07 AM, Bobster said:

Roadrunners is more associated with Phoenix, and Tucsoners aren't usually enamored with most things Phoenix.

I sent in Javelinas as my entry - mainly because it's a bit different and lends itself to a lot of mascot and merchandising possibilities.

I really like Javelinas, but I'm not sure if the likelihood of the pronunciation being butchered by the majority of the league goes in the plus or minus column. Roadrunners seems to be the biggest contender.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 5/21/2016 at 10:07 AM, Bobster said:

On 5/23/2016 at 3:27 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

Roadrunners seems to be the biggest contender.

I don't know if I am missing something.  But I hope that "Roadrunners" is a popular choice for the obvious reason of pairing it with "Coyotes".

latest?cb=20121013040551

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 5/19/2016 at 9:53 AM, Gary. said:

I don't think we will get Rattlers imo. Too close to the Arena Football team 

The Rattlers are probably the most successful franchise in the league right now in terms of visibility. They drew 14,500 for their last home game. It helps they've been good lately.

8 minutes ago, Raymie said:

The Rattlers are probably the most successful franchise in the league right now in terms of visibility. They drew 14,500 for their last home game. It helps they've been good lately.

I was watching that game against the L.A. Kiss.  I saw that they had a new wide receiver named Joe Matthews who was wearing no. 13.  Isn't that number retired for Sed Bonner?

Also, it was great to see Chase Deadder playing both wide receiver and jack linebacker.  Old-school iron-man Arena Football, baby!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't know if I am missing something.  But I hope that "Roadrunners" is a popular chose for the obvious reason of pairing it with "Coyotes".

latest?cb=20121013040551

Should I be embarassed that this angle hadn't occurred to me? The Roadrunners was the WHA team in phoenix, and the subsequent minor league one for the city. They are prevalent in the Tucson area, I believe in even higher numbers than Phoenix. 

A lot of the city polls and comments on news sites/facebook posts indicate that roadrunners is the most popular candidate with Tucsonians and other 'yotes fans.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2016 at 3:34 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't know if I am missing something.  But I hope that "Roadrunners" is a popular chose for the obvious reason of pairing it with "Coyotes".

latest?cb=20121013040551

Apparently the AHL team is better than the NHL team.

The team will be holding a press conference, open-house and pick-you-seat season ticket even at Noon, Pacific on June 18th.

Archived