Portland State unveils a new look

Raymie

Portland State University has a new look, and they announced it...on a Friday night!?

http://www.goviks.com/sports/2016/5/5/brand.aspx

The primary logo is this:

Ci8qeEcVEAASBdu.jpg

It's paired with a secondary...

Ci8qmEMVEAQSf_S.jpg

And this is the accompanying full wordmark:

Ci8qSA2UYAIeJky.jpg

I dunno how to feel. I feel that the PS is kinda...wonky, and the asymmetric crossbar on the A doesn't excite me. However, they did do something I like. The weirdly shaped PS-shield is the sort of mark that, even in a silhouette, is unique. I've never seen it before, that's for sure.

There are also new uniforms using a sort of Astros-esque number font.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Raymie said:

Portland State University has a new look, and they announced it...on a Friday night!?

Ci8qeEcVEAASBdu.jpg

Ci8qmEMVEAQSf_S.jpg

Ci8qSA2UYAIeJky.jpg

I dunno how to feel. I feel that the PS is kinda...wonky, and the asymmetric crossbar on the A doesn't excite me. However, they did do something I like. The weirdly shaped PS-shield is the sort of mark that, even in a silhouette, is unique. I've never seen it before, that's for sure.

You happen to have the new brand identity PDF? I'd like to add the logos to the site.

That empty space in the PS logo is weird. Maybe they should've a small U in that space instead (I'm guessing it's Portland State University). Could someone mock that up?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I will be attending Portland State starting this fall so I am very excited at the timing of this. As you guys have said, the PS logo is a bit weird, and the empty space at the bottom of the shield is a bit troublesome, but overall I am a huge fan of this new logo set. And the new football uniforms are simple but effective, as are the uniforms for the other sports that I was able to see.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Really like this rebrand.. Only thing I would've liked to see different is the secondary Viking logo.. It's also a shield shape like the primary PS logo, so I think they should've kept the same shape, so they'd have a bit more consistency there, and I also wish the "V" shape at the bottom of that logo wasn't so obviously a "V".. We can tell from the giant VIKING HEAD that you're the VIKINGS.. I don't need the "V" to help get that across.. Otherwise, I love it.. Strong primary, great wordmark,  and awesome Viking.. Just wish they'd tweak a couple things about the Viking logo as a whole

2 hours ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

That empty space in the PS logo is weird. Maybe they should've a small U in that space instead (I'm guessing it's Portland State University). Could someone mock that up?

It would say PuS. 

1. The shield would be much better if the bottom of the S flowed with the curve of the shield rather than having a different angle. 

2. The open space is OK. Anything else in that space would risk making the P unrecognized or look like an R. The shield might not have been the best choice with a letter like P, but it's not bad. 

3. Those football uniforms - AYFKM? Is that impact? Black impact numbers on a generic green jersey with templated unnecessary piping?  My gods. 

4. Robo Viking reminds me of the GSW attempt to turn a "warrior" in to a futuristic character. I think Portland pulled it off better though, but I think something that looks more realistic would have been the way to go. That's not a mark that will stand the test of time. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Raymie said:

Ci8qeEcVEAASBdu.jpg

Ci8qmEMVEAQSf_S.jpg

Ci8qSA2UYAIeJky.jpg

I love this.  That PS monogram rocks.  Also, the Viking face is extremely well done because it achieves depth and shadow without resorting to gradients, faux-3D, or bevels.  Outstanding.

I am not sure I get why there is that extra curved line between the bottom of the Viking face and the outline of the shield.  And I agree with your discomfort with the slanted crossbar on the A.

But, even with those reservations, I call this package beautiful.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Those football uniforms - AYFKM? Is that impact? Black impact numbers on a generic green jersey with templated unnecessary piping?  My gods. 

That picture above is of their old uniform. The new one is featured in the video linked above and looks significantlu better minus the WFWS helmet. 

4 minutes ago, razorback447 said:

That picture above is of their old uniform. The new one is featured in the video linked above and looks significantlu better minus the WFWS helmet. 

I wouldn't call it wfws since there colors are green and white

Big fan of the new Viking logo but kind of meh on the PS shield logo.  Nice, clean update for them that's not overly flashy but gets the job done of modernizing their logos and fonts.  This rebrand seems like it was done to capitalize on the football team's recent success and the possible increase in financial stability that brought to the whole athletic department.

Archived