Inaugural Baltimore Ravens Uniform Discourse

1937redskins

I'm about as big of a grumpy traditionalist as we have around here, but the Ravens are one team I'm ok with going an unconventional look. I think they look pretty dull with the white pants, both home and road. And like the Falcons and (formerly) the Jaguars, that black helmet over color jersey over white pants look seems very 90's. And the gold pants are terrible... having all three elements a different non-white color never works. Ever.

So I'd prefer them to wear black pants all the time... it's kind of their weird signature.  Just not THOSE black pants, especially with those black socks.  That combo is an affront to common sense and common decently. My choice would be black pants with a stripe of some sort, worn with purple socks. I could even see them wearing black pants with the purple jersey and purple pants with the white jersey.

The all black uniform can die.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Ravens should be in black helmets with purple flake, black jerseys, black pants, black socks with no low whites, black shoes. On the road, well, it's tougher: black helmets, white jerseys, black pants, purple socks with low whites, black shoes? The Ravens, besides being named for black birds, are an organization that's always angry and aggrieved. They should look intimidating but also a little arena-league, because their perpetual chip on the shoulder is a bit much, just like the arena league. They're not the Baltimore Colts. They don't need to be traditional in any way.

Black helmets with purple flake might be like a purple crayon on black construction paper.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Alls I knows is it was awesome when the Jaguars did it with teal, and it would be even better with purple for the Ravens because actual ravens do that. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Alls I knows is it was awesome when the Jaguars did it with teal, and it would be even better with purple for the Ravens because actual ravens do that. 

Yes but teal contrasts with black...though if the Ravens could pull it off like actual ravens, it would be cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

A friend of mine had a Nissan Maxima back in the mid 90s that looked navy at night and basically purple during the day.  Presumably it can be done.

For the record, he wasn't very happy with the purple.  He defended the choice by saying his did all of his car shopping after work and never saw it in the daylight until he brought it home.

EDIT:  NOT my friend's car.  I think this is a custom paint job, but it says it is "metallic black."  It seems like it has some purple in it (especially near the bottom of the doors), so this might give us an idea what it would look like.

BensMax2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think this is the better Ravens helmet logo out of the two...

My random thought for this thread is that I like french fries. 

227884.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

I always wait by the phone for somebody to call me and provide input on NFL uniform updates.  Has not happened yet (or ever), but this is what I'd do for the Ravens: 

Helmet:  Eliminate the purple stripes. Keep the black shiny as possible, just not chrome shiny.   Keep the bird.

Jerseys:  Love em'.  Big funky numbers, everything.  I'd keep them as is, and make sure to wear black twice a year for night games. Once with black pants, once with white. Extra Color rush in maybe in all purple

Pants:  Here is where I differ from most... five pants, lots of different looks.  Black, White, Purple, Mustard Gold, and Grey - inspired by last seasons fan poll.  But none would have stripes.  Just shield logos on the hips. 

Black shoes, with any sock color that does not match the pants: Purple, Grey, or Black

4 hours ago, Midway said:

Yes. The same feathers that basically cover up the entire bird.

I know. I was saying it would be appropriate (not necessary, but appropriate) for the black-with-purple-sheen material to have a faux-feather texture.

Original sleeve patch, pants and socks that actually had stripes, contrast color collar.. All positives.. Helmet logo is a push (i'll give the nod to the original, but the current without the B would be the best option).. Current number font is superior

Archived