What Adidas' CFL takeover tells us about NHL 2017-18

ldconcepts

All us NHL Uniform/Logo maniacs are currently freaking out over the upcoming Adidas redesign, seeing as how Reebok butchered their redesign. However, Adidas recently redesigned the CFL, so let's see what that'll tell us and what we can expect.

First of all, Adidas used the same collar on both the CFL's unis and the World Cup of Hockey sweaters:

COLLAR_zpsh6kw15jd.png

Even though we're all scared of the three stripes on NHL jerseys, since they are there on the WCH sweaters. BUT, there aren't any Adidas stripes on the new CFL kits,  

New CFL Adidas Uniforms

And they're a minor league. The NHL is the number one hockey league in the world, and the CFL isn't number one in the football world, so why would they put any on NHL uniforms? The World Cup is a money-grabbing event, so anything goes. 

There are ads on the CFL ones, but they've always been there. 

fbo_tiger-cats_blue_blombers_20140927_21

Plus, Gary Bettman said that the NHL wouldn't put ads for the first:

There have been some suggesting that this deal means it's inevitable that there'll be advertising on uniforms and that's just not true.

We are not currently considering putting advertising on NHL jerseys. There have been no discussions formally or informally with anybody about doing that.

I think everybody agrees that the history, tradition and respect that goes with NHL sweaters is something that we and Adidas are very respectful of. So reinventing isn't something that we're about to embark upon.

If there are better fabrics that are more comfortable and help performance, that's one thing. But we happen to like our jerseys a lot and we think our fans do as well.

Adidas didn't redesign dramatically every single CFL uniform; they just tweaked for the better, and didn't introduce templated messes. (Anyway, I'm sure Adidas will redesign those Reebok templated messes, right, @MEANS?)

What do you think? Agree, disagree? Add what you think I've missed.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

I don't think adidas played a major role in the cfl uniform design. From what press is out there on the process it sounds like the league and teams did the heavy lifting design wise and adidas provided the blank uniform templates to work with. For hockey I think it all depends on what role adidas wants play in hockey as they are not a serious player in that sport. If they want to be an end to end supplier in hockey you may see a more active role taken with more prominent branding on the design front like rbk. If they only care about the nhl only from a licensed merchandise standpoint, you're likely to get the cfl approach.

You do realize that adidas and reebok are the same company just different brands. It's like Nike and Jordan. You likely won't see much change outside of a new template maybe to advertise that it's now adidas, and maybe they might do some new Alts for special events like adidas did for the NBA. I imagine the regular home and always will be pretty much untouched for most teams except for the 2 or so that were planning on changing anyways.

What Adidas' CFL takeover tells us about NHL 2017-18

Nothing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/24/2016 at 2:23 PM, ldconcepts said:

All us NHL Uniform/Logo maniacs are currently freaking out over the upcoming Adidas redesign, seeing as how Reebok butchered their redesign. However, Adidas recently redesigned the CFL, so let's see what that'll tell us and what we can expect.

First of all, Adidas used the same collar on both the CFL's unis and the World Cup of Hockey sweaters:

COLLAR_zpsh6kw15jd.png

New CFL Adidas Uniforms

And they're a minor league. The NHL is the number one hockey league in the world, and the CFL isn't number one in the football world, so why would they put any on NHL uniforms? The World Cup is a money-grabbing event, so anything goes. 

There are ads on the CFL ones, but they've always been there. 

fbo_tiger-cats_blue_blombers_20140927_21

The CFL is not minor league just because all the money is in the NFL.

The CFL is the top level of football in Canada. 

3 hours ago, clonewars2008 said:

No, It's not.

It certainly fills that role.. It's where football's major league (NFL) players go when they're not good enough in order to gain experience and hone their skills.. Not unlike baseball's minor leagues.. If it is a "league" (which it is), and it is "minor" compared to the market's primary league (which it is), then it's essentially "minor league" by definition

The CFL is the top teir of professional Canadian football. That means it is not a minor league by definition.

There are different rules, different sizes of field and equipment (the balls are bigger for example), heck, there's even another player on the field.

It may not be as widely popular as the NFL which is a league that plays a similar sport but that's not what defines it being a minor league or not. I think you simply mean the NFL is much more popular. 

Compairing the NFL and CFL is akin to compairing the NLL and the MLL. Yes, they are both lacrosse but they are not the same variation of lacrosse.

Sorry for the rant, but it's one of my pet peeves.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm not thinking in terms of popularity at all.. I'm talking in terms of significance, market, importance, league size, league revenue, typical player movements (within a career), etc.. 

Less teams, less money, less market.. It doesn't matter that it's the "top tier" in Canada, because the market between the two countries has A LOT of overlap (see the NHL for example).. It's the 2nd tier North American football league and It's still the 2nd tier in terms of talent because the players use it as their minor league.. College graduates who don't make NFL rosters go to Canada to continue playing and trying to improve, in hopes of teaching the NFL.. This is exactly how baseball's minor leagues work (minus team affiliations).. The CFL tried to expand into the States because they wanted a piece of the "major" market.. They're both gridiron football.. That's like saying the AL and NL don't play the same variation of baseball.. It's a bit of a reach.. Whatever rule differences exist, only exist because of the general lack of interest, so adding more players to the field, creating more pre-snap action, fewer downs, etc are all to push the pace of action to try to generate interest and excitement.. In every sense, ESPECIALLY when compared to the NFL, the CFL is a "minor" league.

The definition of minor refers to size, significance, and importance.. Not local hierarchy.. It may be Canada's "top" league, but that doesn't make it "major"..

12 minutes ago, guest23 said:

It's a 2nd tier league, like mls. For it to be a minor league, you would have an affiliate/allocation/call up system where players would move more frequently from cfl->nfl.

So are you saying the AFL is a major league too by that logic?

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

It's a 2nd tier league, like mls. For it to be a minor league, you would have an affiliate/allocation/call up system where players would move more frequently from cfl->nfl.

No, that would be a farm system.. Lower/lesser/smaller/etc = minor, while higher/greater/larger = major

Newsflash: America is not the center of the universe. A domestic league in another country isn't "minor league" because it doesn't draw millions of American eyeballs. 

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived