NHL Double Series (final updates)

StevenGrant94

My Ideal Calgary Flames

spacer.png

In the past my ideal look for the Flames would have been based off of their 2003-07 set, but now that they've returned to their vintage set I don't think they should ditch them (although they should extend the home's hem stripe to the bottom of the jersey).

New Look Calgary Flames

spacer.png

The original idea for this concept was much different from the end result, with the dark red base being the only feature I kept from the first attempt.  I ended up using blasty as the primary logo, which resulted in me using a second brighter shade of red as an accent colour.

• Like 4

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (Coyotes added)

My Ideal Arizona Coyotes

spacer.png

I'm glad the Coyotes are returning to their Kachina jerseys, but I think they could be even better with some updates.  Here I kept their simpler (soon to be former) colour scheme, ditched the yokes, and used the Kachina coyote head as the primary logo.

New Look Arizona Coyotes

spacer.png

My next idea for the Coyotes was to try using their Kachina pattern both as a chest stripe and a sublimated pattern making up the base of the jerseys.  I then chose their paw-print logo as the primary, and used a different set of equipment for the home and road uniforms.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Nice.  Love the first one, and really creative on the second with the sublimated pattern.  That would be really cool to see a real jersey with that.

My one small suggestion on the ideal road jersey would be to make the white space on top of the kachina pattern black, like you have on the other set.  It would really make the sand-colored pattern stand out more.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, B-mer said:

Nice.  Love the first one, and really creative on the second with the sublimated pattern.  That would be really cool to see a real jersey with that.

My one small suggestion on the ideal road jersey would be to make the white space on top of the kachina pattern black, like you have on the other set.  It would really make the sand-colored pattern stand out more.  

Thanks!  And here it is with that black stripe added...

spacer.png

• Like 2

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (Rangers added)

My Ideal New York Rangers

spacer.png

The Rangers have a classic set of jerseys, so the only change I made was removing the red from their collars.

New Look New York Rangers

spacer.png

Here I wanted to try a modern version of the Rangers lady liberty jerseys.  I simplified the logo outlines, and dropped silver from the colour scheme by replacing it with seafoam green.  I also went with two sets of pants, as I felt navy pants worked better with the road jersey.

• Like 5

On 9/21/2021 at 5:00 PM, DTConcepts said:

I'd suggest adding green to the striping of the new look jerseys. I think it'd add some pop to the overall jerseys, just like it did to the logo.

Thanks for the suggestion! Here's the Rangers with green added to the striping (a sentence I never expected to write).

spacer.png

• Like 7

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (Blue Jackets added)

My Ideal Columbus Blue Jackets

spacer.png

I quite like the design of the original Blue Jackets jerseys, so I went in that direction for my "Ideal" set.  I kept their current primary logo and fonts, but went back to their oval/hat logo on the shoulders (I don't like the cannon logo).

New Look Columbus Blue Jackets

spacer.png

The Blue Jackets were cowards and kept Stinger off of their Reverse Retro jersey.  For this concept I put him front and center.  I went with a double blue colour scheme for the jerseys when I noticed Stingers' uniform (hat and collar) use those colours.

• Like 3

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (Capitals added)

My Ideal Washington Capitals
spacer.png

This is a pretty common idea for Capitals concepts, the Weagle on a modernized version of their original jerseys.  I kept their current name and number fonts, and added some stars as a hanger effect.

New Look Washington Capitals

spacer.png

For this concept my inspiration was the Capitals original set of pants.  Blue becomes the main colour (it just worked better that way), and I used their current third jersey logo as the crest.  This design would probably work better for an all-star game, but I wanted to try it here anyways.

• Like 3

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (Red Wings added)

My Ideal Detroit Red Wings

spacer.png

The only change I made here is a slight tweak to the road jersey's collar.  I see no reason to mess with the Red Wings classic look.

New Look Detroit Red Wings

spacer.png

For my "New Look" concept I decided to go with a fauxback design.  The striping pattern is the same on each jersey, with just the base colour changing (their current jerseys do this as well).  I also went with a darker shade of red, a vintage version of their winged-wheel logo, plus canvas and leather coloured pants and gloves.

• Like 3

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (Canadiens added)

My Ideal Montreal Canadiens

spacer.png

I didn't make any major changes for my ideal Canadiens set, only recolouring the collars and switching to a single outline for the numbers on the road jersey.  I know some people want the Canadiens to match their white jersey to the red, but I don't think they should.

New Look Montreal Canadiens

spacer.png

This concept takes inspiration from the Canadiens' 1911-12 sweater which featured a diagonal sash, but I simplified the stripes down to only one colour.  I also used a darker shade of blue, and a rounded font for the numbers.  The pant stripe features 24 Canadiens logos, one for each of their Stanley Cup victories (using the era-appropriate logo for each championship).

• Like 4

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (Kraken added)

Merry Christmas!  I started this series in May of 2016, back when the NHL only had 30 teams.  Now there are 32 teams of course, and I've finally completed the last remaining team!

My Ideal Seattle Kraken

spacer.png

I think the Seattle Kraken have a great set of jerseys, so the changes I made for my "Ideal" set are minor.  I flipped the order of the hem stripes on the road jersey, and I also slightly thickened the red stripe throughout.

New Look Seattle Kraken

spacer.png

Kraken lurk in the deep depth of the sea, so I went with a wave design that transitions from their "Shadow Blue" to their "Deep Sea Blue".  The TV numbers replaced their anchor/space-needle logo on the shoulders, so I added that logo to the pants and helmets.

So that's the last team of this series, but I'm not quite done yet.  I'm working on some updates for a few of the teams, and I have a couple of unused designs to share as well.

• Like 8

I like that New Look idea for Seattle! The waves give me '80s Sounders logo vibes, which is good, and I like the focus being primarily on teal instead of powder blue or red. I'd definitely enlarge the hem stripe, and lower the chest logo a bit.

Good fix on the Ideal away; I think that'd be the right move for the real thing with its large logo.

For Detroit's New Look, I think the pants want to be stripeless with a red D logo, maaaaybe tan helmet at home? And I wonder if the home would look better without the white chunk on the top of the sleeve. I like the chest stripe and the shade of red.

I'm no Stinger fan but that double-blue Columbus jersey is quite nice, and he works well on it (not that the cannon wouldn't be nicer :P)

The Ideal set's away feels a bit top-heavy with so little blue on the hem. Like the IRL Avs, this is a toughie when considering the red pants, but I still might go with primarily navy hem with red trim. If you could do navy road pants, either way would be fine.

I love that Lady Liberty logo cleanup for the Rangers! I'm not sure I prefer it, but the seafoam striping version's kinda fun, even if the Isles have history with teal... I'd connect the blue block with the striping on that version, though. 

Do the Ideal Look Coyotes look okay with black Kachina striping surrounding the sand (i.e. sand surrounded entirely by black?), and might their New Look work better with a thicker chest stripe?

Good call avoiding the gradient for Calgary's New Look; looks great as-is. Probably inadvisable, but the away could end up sorta gradient-y with the red and maroon stripes switched though 🤔

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vtgco said:

Thanks for the very thorough comment!

Here is Seattle with a thicker hem stripe and the logo lowered a bit...

spacer.png

Detroit with stripeless pants with a red pants logo, a leather coloured helmet, and the white removed from the top of the home's sleeves...

spacer.png

"New Look" Columbus with the cannon instead of stinger...

spacer.png

"Ideal" Columbus with mainly navy hem stripes on the road jersey...

spacer.png

Rangers with the navy connected to the arm stripes on the road jersey...

spacer.png

Coyotes with black surrounding the sand Kachina pattern on both "Ideal" jerseys (for the New Look set, I'm too lazy to try a thicker chest stripe but I do think it's a good idea)...

spacer.png

And lastly here's Calgary with the red and maroon stripes switched...

spacer.png

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

• Like 5

Flames: we meet again :hockeysmiley:  much like the Isles, we once again had the same idea of adding maroon to the Flames and applied it in wildly differing ways-I'd retained red as the main color and had mostly used some of those rejected alternate logos Icethetics had posted a couple years back...though I did include a maroon alternate jersey that used similar striping to what you used (don't worry, even with that, this and mine are more than different enough that that one similarity would be easily missed)

Kraken: holy crap I love that new look

Rangers: statue green is an interesting addition to their scheme, and I think I like it.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:12 AM, Discrim said:

Flames: we meet again :hockeysmiley:  much like the Isles, we once again had the same idea of adding maroon to the Flames and applied it in wildly differing ways-I'd retained red as the main color and had mostly used some of those rejected alternate logos Icethetics had posted a couple years back...though I did include a maroon alternate jersey that used similar striping to what you used (don't worry, even with that, this and mine are more than different enough that that one similarity would be easily missed)

Kraken: holy crap I love that new look

Rangers: statue green is an interesting addition to their scheme, and I think I like it.

Thanks!  Those are similar striping patterns.  It wasn't intentional, but I'm sure I've seen your concept before so maybe I was accidentaly inspired by yours.

And now, here are unused versions of my "New Look" concepts for the Islanders and Capitals...

New Look New York Islanders (Unused)

spacer.png

I ended up going with a normal chest stripe for the actual concept, but as you can see my initial idea was to use the stick-blade (from their secondary logo) as the main design element.

New Look Washington Capitals (Unused)

spacer.png

The final version I went with for the Capitals was based off of their original pant design, but I also considered this variation that was inspired by the flag of Washington DC.

• Like 3

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (rejected concepts added)

I like the regular chest stripe better for the Isles, but that stick concept works great as a 90s-style design. I also really like the Caps' star-filled unused concept you've got! This whole series has been fantastic. Great work all around!

• Like 1

• StevenGrant94 changed the title to NHL Double Series (final updates)