So, now that I got the Miami Marlins off my chest, I figured I should tweak the other teams that have been bothering me too.  Nothing bothered me as much as the Marlins, but it doesn't take much to aggravate me...sadly.

The next team I wanted to put a paint brush to was San Diego.  Like most, I feel they should be going back to the brown and yellow colors.  I on the other hand want to put more emphasis on the brown and keep the yellow to a minimum.  I have no issue with their current word scripts and uniform style, I just feel the brown and yellow would look better.  So with that in mind, here is my version of the Padres.

Padres%20home_zpszqvmtckr.png

The away has a grey that has very slight orange tint to it, just to give it some warmth with the brown and yellow.

Padres%20away_zpsetqeqhm0.png

Then there is the Home alternate.  The big trend of having the logo over the heart/left side is not missed on the Padres.

Padres%20home%20alt_zpsu8nnuljg.png

I'm currently working on a brown top alternate for the road as well as a new main logo that will combine a few era's logos with the swinging friar as the center piece.

How does that look?  C+C appreciated.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Great tweak of the Padres. I'd add a Swinging Friar sleeve patch, and maybe a brown road alternate.

I'd love to see you try your hand at the Rockies and D-Backs!

I mentioned in the OP that i'm working on main logo with the swinging friar, it is just taking a bit of time because my OCD is really kicking in with that.

I happen to have already done a Rockies set, so once I get the Padres ironed out I'll share the Rockies.

Yeah, the D-Backs are a bit of a mess right now.  I'll start looking into that.  I was working on Marlins, Padres, Phillies, Indians, and a very very minor Cardinals tweak.  D-backs should be on this list too.  Oh, and I've got a fantasy MLB expansion Portland Beavers concept that I'm really digging.  I'll share that one soon too.

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Can I see the home set with the "PadreS" script they use on the brown jersey now?

I can't stand that word mark.  A capital at the end of a word really bugs me.  I am trying a few things out so we'll see if I can hit the mark or not.

Well, to answer Carolingian Steamroller's question, here is what I was working on for a brown top and using the PadreS wordmark...but not quite.  It bothered me, as I mentioned before, about the "caps" of the P and the S, especially since it is the same typographical style as the road San Diego, except they don't cap the S and the O in that.  Really bothersome.  So, I've "uncapped" the P and the S so they match the arch of the rest of the lettering.  I'm still doing clean up work on it.  I'd say this is 90% done.

I also give the yellow a more punch beyond trim.  The intention is this set is an Away Alternate.

Padres%20Away%20Alt_zpseqo3so2u.png

Man, I don't know where this came from, but I found this on Skinit.  The resolution was pretty small, so I'll need to find a higher resolution version or redraw it myself.

New%20Padres%20Logo_zps7tzhfsoh.png

So if this friar is not part of the official artwork of the San Diego Padres, credit goes to whomever did that out there in the interwebs, because I didn't draw it.

So I went back and finished off the uniforms by looking at constancy in trim and color.  On the road alt I added the orange used in the 80's set to trim the yellow.  I looked up the Padres colors via MLB hex color codes.  The brown is a much lighter brown and I'm not sure if I like it or not.  What is the C+C out there on the "official" brown?

Golden Yellow: #FEC325
Brown: #7F411C

Padres%20home_zpsyesbjxe7.png

Padres%20home%20alt_zpsomn5kfby.png

Padres%20away_zpsy4ttpq4i.png

Padres%20Away%20Alt_zpsgjuxtshv.png

I've got a website for your official baseball colors: http://www.colorwerx.net/team-colors/baseball/. Yes, Colorwerx's MLB (and NFL, NBA, and NHL) colors are up again! These are far better than that crummy hex code website. He lists the brown shade (which is the one officially designated by the team) as much darker than the one on the crummy hex code website, closer to your original brown. 

I like what you've done with the Padres. You've done a good job adapting their identity from 2012-2015 to the brown/yellow color scheme. However, I would recommend that you recolor the "Swinging Friar" to better match the color scheme. The black lines can easily be merged with the robe. Also, the yellow bill really shouldn't be on the road (roads are usually darker uniforms, and the yellow "D" stands out more when there isn't a yellow bill) and the road alt shouldn't have a yellow undershirt or orange trim (which looks a little tacky). Other than that, I think you've started this series off on a strong note, and I can't wait to see more!

57 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've got a website for your official baseball colors: http://www.colorwerx.net/team-colors/baseball/. Yes, Colorwerx's MLB (and NFL, NHL, and NHL) colors are up again! These are far better than that crummy hex code website. He lists the brown shade (which is the one officially designated by the team) as much darker than the one on the crummy hex code website, closer to your original brown. 

Thanks for the link. Now I can go back and make adjustments to my other works as well. 

Lots to comment on with your recent updates.

Not really a fan of the '69 font; it doesn't really fit with the rest of what you've done.

That alternate Friar logo is great, but I'd make his robes brown, the color of actual friar robes.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've got a website for your official baseball colors: http://www.colorwerx.net/team-colors/baseball/. Yes, Colorwerx's MLB (and NFL, NBA, and NHL) colors are up again! These are far better than that crummy hex code website. He lists the brown shade (which is the one officially designated by the team) as much darker than the one on the crummy hex code website, closer to your original brown. 

Straight up GOLD MINE!!! Thank you.

ok, how does this look?  I did:

• Went back and used my original brown, which is a slightly warmer shade then the 1985-1990s brown but still darker then the original Brown used at the start of the franchise.
  • altered the friar (both sleeve patch and main logo, which are different) so the belt is Padre Gold and the robe is Padre Brown.
  • Got rid of the Gold Undershirt, which I agree, was pushing it.
  • Removed the Orange striping on the Away Alt as it was the only time used in the set and it didn't enhance anything really
  • Did a little more clean up on the designs overall

Padres%20Uniform%20Presenation_zpsbibaru

Whew, that was a lot.  C+C?

After all the work I did on the Padres, I'm going to keep this one very simple.

There are only a few teams where I would say you don't need to do anything fancy or changes at all.  The Yankees and the Cardinals are, for me, the two teams that should never change a thing....except....

One thing that has always bothered me are teams that don't have their city name on their away uniforms.  Phillies and Cardinals are the two teams in MLB on that are guilty of that faux pas (Baltimore use to be in this category but have redeemed themselves in recent years).  So, in order to fix the thing that irritates me most (and I'll be touching on the Phillies soon), here is the St. Louis Cardinals away uniform:

Cardinals%20away_zpsqzcejdm6.png

Everything else on the Cardinals I love.  I love their simple and clean uniforms.  I love they don't feel the need to do crazy color splashing "Sunday Alts", pin-striping like they are a race car, or anything like that.  Now they have a proper Away jersey, in my opinion.

Ok, moving on to Philadelphia.  The Phillies was a team that I grew up with, along with the Yankees.  Since I was a Yankees fan, there was no way in hell I was going to be a Mets fan and so the Phillies were my "National League Team" to root for.  Funny how time changes perspective and now I'm a Nats fan and loathe the Phillies.

Anyways, I grew up with the Phillies having Pete Rose and those Maroon and Baby Blue uniforms.  I miss the maroon but not the baby blue, we have all moved on.  While I think the Phillies have a very solid look, I just wanted to see what they would look like in maroon.  So that is what I did.

Phillies%20Home_zpsba46v3zq.png

Now the road was something I wanted very specific needs.  Like the I said in the St. Louis post, I hate when teams don't have their city/region name on their away uniforms.  Just bugs the hell out of me.  But lets face it, Philadelphia is a long damn name.  I'm sure it must be murder to put that across the chest.  That is when I ran across this 1992 prototype of a Phillies away uniform when they walked away from the maroon.

833743712_0945e2968a_o.jpg

Ok, there was no excuses, because that prototype looked sweet.  So I hand created the word Philadelphia using the lettering existing out of the Phillies script and came up with this:

Phillies%20away_zpsradguv41.png

Now I'm still working on some alternate jerseys at this time, this one is in prototype mode right now.  I think I'm going to use the full maroon top with away grey pants and do something else for a Home alt, but still working on it.

Phillies%20Home%20Alt_zps4gnkgg5h.png

So, what do you think of my take on the Phillies?  C+C?

The Phillies look great. They really need to return to maroon immediately. Not much to say about the home and road set, as they're pretty straightforward. 

For the alternate, I would reduce the sleeve striping to just a single stripe. Other than that, I really like the overall idea for the alternate. 

Ok, here is the Philadelphia Phillies:

Phillies%20Uniform%20Presenation_zpslb8s

I decided to keep the set very simple with just maroon and white and not using any other colors besides the road base.  Both alts consist of simple tops with no pinstripping while the home has the classic pinstripe.

It might be a little simple, but I think it ultimately is timeless and has big statements to say.  Your thoughts?

Archived