Recommended Posts

These all look great! Except with the Stars, I don't know about another team with a blue-red color scheme. IMO it's over used.

See: Nationals, Twins, Red Sox, Rangers, Indians, Cubs, Braves, Angels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

Small update.  The more I looked at the uniforms the more I wanted Indy to emphasis on the white.  There is no team that focuses on white as their main color, much like yellow is not a primary color.  So I simplified the trim and put a small detail on the "Stars" script.  The road reverses the color of the "Indianapolis" script to again focus on white as the primary.

 

Indy%20home%202_zpssssejxhy.png

Indy%20away%202_zpswsmvgixq.png

 

How about that?

Should been called Indianapolis Checkers with there strong racing history 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So next I wanted to look at my team, the Washington Nationals.  I'm a big Nats fan having adopted them when they moved down from Montreal in '05.  The process of getting them here, and DC politicians almost sinking the ship, was like giving birth.  My wife, a native of the DMV, now finally had a team that she could claim as her hometown team.  So the Nats are pretty special to our family.

 

While I love the Nats, I do feel they kinda missed some opportunities.  DC baseball had a huge history of the color blue as the main color.  It really wasn't till the last 4-5 years of the second incarnation of the Senators that they switched over to all red.  When the Expos came to Washington, I was a little disappointed that they didn't keep more blue and the pinstripes of the team.  The Senators also had a long history of pinstripes, so keeping them would have fit.

 

I also felt that, while I like the current uniforms, I had to ask "Where is the Patriotism?"  This is the Nationals after all!  If any team can get away with being overly patriotic, it is this team.  I had used this image as an inspiration for going about tweaking the Nationals:

 

0420-0906-0919-3804_american_flag_on_the

 

The home uniform sprung out of the flag (red and white in stripe patterns with blocks of blue):

 

Nats%20Home_zpsmp0qlfmy.png

 

The road pushed more of the blue but having white and red trim, so that I can have USA colors.

 

Nats%20Away_zpstggy7zzt.png

 

Then there are the road and home alternates.  I kept with the curly W on the chest and trying to do a balance of red, white, and blue.

 

Nats%20home%20alt_zpsrfeh8gxs.png

Nats%20away%20alt_zpsglgfriqi.png

 

Then my over the top patriotic uniform, which you have to have in DC!

 

Nats%20home%20special_zpsj324sgty.png

 

Outside of the patriotic set, I am only using one hat style in these uniforms.  I could have done a switch between red and blue, but for some reason I wanted to stick with one look.  I used this Washington Senators hat style as the basis for my choice.

 

ff_2279034_full.jpg&w=245

 

Anyways, that is how I would tweak the Washington Nationals.  C+C?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nasty Nats look great! I always felt that they would look good in pinstripes, a la the Senators, as ScoffingYayap pointed out. My only concern is that red pinstripes might make them look too similar to their rival Phillies. However, your Phillies are in maroon, so it would work. 

 

I hope to see your take on the Brewers! They're one of the few remaining teams that need a real makeover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

Small update.  The more I looked at the uniforms the more I wanted Indy to emphasis on the white.  There is no team that focuses on white as their main color, much like yellow is not a primary color.  So I simplified the trim and put a small detail on the "Stars" script.  The road reverses the color of the "Indianapolis" script to again focus on white as the primary.

 

Indy%20home%202_zpssssejxhy.png

Indy%20away%202_zpswsmvgixq.png

 

How about that?

I'm not really feeling the white-on-grey, it doesn't contrast enough for me. The first blue-on-grey worked better IMO. Loving the Nats though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've loved every concept except the Stars. Logo reminds me too much of the Texaco logo (see above) and too close the the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. I know everything from the Star and the colors are ripped straight out of the state flag but man, it's rough.

 

I would go with maybe something involving the history of racing? Indianapolis Racers/Speed/Flash/Oilers etc I dunno. Amateurs? I mean one of their nicknames is after all,  "Amateur Sports Capital of the World"

 

You could have some fun incorporating a checker pattern from a racing flag. Or maybe fading black on the sides of the pants that resemble burn out skid marks. Maybe a brick pattern for the brickyard 400?

 

I dunno, just not a fan of the stars at all. But GREAT work on everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I have to disagree.  Does it have similarities to the Texaco logo?  Sure.  Does it have a similarity to Houston?  Yeah, it does.  Texas?  That is a bit of a stretch since they don't focus on star symbolism (unlike the 1994-2002 era) anymore, but fine, it has a similar vein.  Is the Indy Stars my strongest concept?  Not by a long shot.  I took a gamble on putting white as the primary color.  I do stand by my choices for the star off the flag and utilizing blue and white.  I think it is something that could have great resonance to potential fans of an Indianapolis team.

 

The thing is, a resident/native of the Indianapolis area is going to recognize and identify with that star as their flag, rather then Texaco or some vague link to Houston.  The city flag has more sway and meaning to the citizens then someone from...anywhere else.  So does it matter if someone from Houston thinks "Hey, that looks like my Astros!"  That person is not going to be a fan of the fictitious Indy Stars.  What matters is the fan base the Stars would pull from and their first thought is not going to be "Hey, that is the Texaco symbol...minus the T...but it is the Texaco symbol outside of that!"

 

This is the same argument people throw out there with the Washington Nationals.  Every once in a while I listen to someone who says they have to change their look because the curly W is too similar to Walgreens.  I won't go into detail on what my exact thoughts are on that person, but they need to let it go and comprehend that it is NOT Walgreens and they are standing on a baseball diamond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davidrpaige said:

Well, I have to disagree.  Does it have similarities to the Texaco logo?  Sure.  Does it have a similarity to Houston?  Yeah, it does.  Texas?  That is a bit of a stretch since they don't focus on star symbolism (unlike the 1994-2002 era) anymore, but fine, it has a similar vein.  Is the Indy Stars my strongest concept?  Not by a long shot.  I took a gamble on putting white as the primary color.  I do stand by my choices for the star off the flag and utilizing blue and white.  I think it is something that could have great resonance to potential fans of an Indianapolis team.

 

The thing is, a resident/native of the Indianapolis area is going to recognize and identify with that star as their flag, rather then Texaco or some vague link to Houston.  The city flag has more sway and meaning to the citizens then someone from...anywhere else.  So does it matter if someone from Houston thinks "Hey, that looks like my Astros!"  That person is not going to be a fan of the fictitious Indy Stars.  What matters is the fan base the Stars would pull from and their first thought is not going to be "Hey, that is the Texaco symbol...minus the T...but it is the Texaco symbol outside of that!"

 

This is the same argument people throw out there with the Washington Nationals.  Every once in a while I listen to someone who says they have to change their look because the curly W is too similar to Walgreens.  I won't go into detail on what my exact thoughts are on that person, but they need to let it go and comprehend that it is NOT Walgreens and they are standing on a baseball diamond.

 

 

For what it's worth, I think the Stars logo looks fine as is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, davidrpaige said:

Well, I have to disagree.  Does it have similarities to the Texaco logo?  Sure.  Does it have a similarity to Houston?  Yeah, it does.  Texas?  That is a bit of a stretch since they don't focus on star symbolism (unlike the 1994-2002 era) anymore, but fine, it has a similar vein.  Is the Indy Stars my strongest concept?  Not by a long shot.  I took a gamble on putting white as the primary color.  I do stand by my choices for the star off the flag and utilizing blue and white.  I think it is something that could have great resonance to potential fans of an Indianapolis team.

 

The thing is, a resident/native of the Indianapolis area is going to recognize and identify with that star as their flag, rather then Texaco or some vague link to Houston.  The city flag has more sway and meaning to the citizens then someone from...anywhere else.  So does it matter if someone from Houston thinks "Hey, that looks like my Astros!"  That person is not going to be a fan of the fictitious Indy Stars.  What matters is the fan base the Stars would pull from and their first thought is not going to be "Hey, that is the Texaco symbol...minus the T...but it is the Texaco symbol outside of that!"

 

This is the same argument people throw out there with the Washington Nationals.  Every once in a while I listen to someone who says they have to change their look because the curly W is too similar to Walgreens.  I won't go into detail on what my exact thoughts are on that person, but they need to let it go and comprehend that it is NOT Walgreens and they are standing on a baseball diamond.

yea but coming up with name that has something to do with racing is better then naming the team the stars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will you be doing uniform presentations for the other teams you've already finished, like Arizona, Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Washington? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, before this goes off the rails about the Texaco Baseball Club and its merits, I want everyone to break out the polka music!  It is time to take a bite out of a knockwurst and look at the Milwaukee Brewers!

 

I think the biggest problem with the current set is the late-90s "drop shadow the f*(& out of everything!" design style.  The script style they use is pretty nice, although the M on Milwaukee does have the kinda odd thin flare off of it.  That is a small detail I can set aside.  So really all they need to do is simplify.  Which is what I did.  I went back to their original colors, a dark blue that is still lighter and more primary then the blue they use currently, and a nice vivid yellow.  I'm also using the powder blue a little here and there.  Oh, and back to pinstripes for the brew crew.

 

For an arm patch I was looking to their past yet again.  I couldn't decide on one existing one, so I merged my two favorite into a new, retro style logo.  Here is the Wisconsin Barrel Man!

 

Barrel%20Man%20Wisconsin%20logo_zpsuohd4

 

Now the home.  Back to the pinstripes and 1970 color set, when they first relocated from Seattle to Milwaukee.  And yes, the famous MB baseball glove logo is the main logo again.  Your welcome.

 

Brewers%20home_zpscclcwan3.png

 

Home alt using the powder blue.

 

Brewers%20home%20alt_zpsduxbn4cy.png

 

Road uniform will once again display Milwaukee proudly, which they should.

 

Brewers%20away_zpszmf8cquo.png

 

Here is a road alt that pumps the blue.

 

Brewers%20away%20alt_zpska7u6ahu.png

 

And for fun, I created a German Heritage jersey.  I'm also working on the Polish, Italian, and Spanish heritage jerseys too, I just haven't finished them.  So many colors....

 

Brewers%20German%20heratige_zpsdkr3qsli.

 

Ok, so that is my take on the Milwaukee Brewers.  What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

yea but coming up with name that has something to do with racing is better then naming the team the stars

I feel that it is not.  I don't think baseball has to be subservient to another sport.  If you feel that it is better, create something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet Jesus, the Brewers need to be wearing that set right now. It's a perfect combination of everything right about their retro and modern day looks. The powder blue alt is probably my favorite (the ball-in-glove as a monogram logo is genius) but that German heritage set is no slouch, either!

 

The only thing I'd change would be to lose the horizontal sleeve striping on the home primary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a little too busy with the pinstripes on the home jersey and how about adding a little bit more dark blue to the light blue jersey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would re-look at a lot of the teams you have pinstripes on. The busier scripts (Washington, Arizona) get really lost in the pinstripes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.