The Road to Omaha The 2016 NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

Seadragon76

Welcome, fellow board members... It's time to hit the road to Omaha once again.

We begin with the 16 regional hosts. They are...

-Clemson

-Florida

-Florida State

-Louisiana State

-Louisville

-Miami (Florida)

-Mississippi State

-North Carolina State

-Ole Miss

-South Carolina

-TCU

-Texas A&M

-Texas Tech

-UL Lafayette

-Vanderbilt

-Virginia

As such, they earn bids to the tournament. I'm shocked that no teams from the west coast were chosen to host...

16 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Welcome, fellow board members... It's time to hit the road to Omaha once again.

We begin with the 16 regional hosts. They are...

-Clemson

-Florida

-Florida State

-Louisiana State

-Louisville

-Miami (Florida)

-Mississippi State

-North Carolina State

-Ole Miss

-South Carolina

-TCU

-Texas A&M

-Texas Tech

-UL Lafayette

-Vanderbilt

-Virginia

As such, they earn bids to the tournament. I'm shocked that no teams from the west coast were chosen to host...

If their bids weren't big enough... they ain't getting a regional.

Plus, on the softball side BTN sublicensed the Ann Arbor regional, so I wonder if that was a factor. Pac-12 Network hasn't produced the revenue for such an excess bid. They don't really have the $$$.

Yeah, I was gonna say, bids usually had a price tag to go along with on-field play.

I knew the SEC and ACC were both always pretty strong in baseball....didn't realize the gap was this big, though.  13 of the 16 are from those two conferences.

7 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, I was gonna say, bids usually had a price tag to go along with on-field play.

I knew the SEC and ACC were both always pretty strong in baseball....didn't realize the gap was this big, though.  13 of the 16 are from those two conferences.

Hotel rooms, even at a Coutryard or Starwood brand, are much more expensive in  L.A.,  than say, Raleigh hence that regional was in High Desert or somesuch before. Starwood used to be the official NCAA brand .

LOL!

BTW, what dfwabel mentioned about the bidding makes sense... I also wanted to add in that no one out west was really worth a damn... Cal State Fullerton, possibly. But, that's it. The Pac-12, usually pretty strong, had a down season that saw a sub .500 Utah team win it's automatic bid.

Now, for the main event... the tournament itself. Everyone knows how it works... so, it's time for the top 8 seeds.

1. Florida

2. Louisville

3. Miami (Florida)

4. Texas A&M

5. Texas Tech

6. Mississippi State

7. Clemson

8. Louisiana State

Super Region #1 - Gainesville vs. Tallahassee

Gainesville: Florida, Georgia Tech, UConn, Bethune-Cookman

Tallahassee: Florida State, Southern Miss, South Alabama, Alabama State

Super Region #2 - Baton Rouge vs. Raleigh

Baton Rouge: Louisiana State, Rice, SE Louisiana, Utah Valley

Raleigh: North Carolina State, Coastal Carolina, St. Mary's, Navy

Super Region #3 - Lubbock vs. Charlottesville

Lubbock: Texas Tech, Dallas Baptist, New Mexico, Fairfield

Charlottesville: Virginia, Bryant, East Carolina, William and Mary

Super Region #4 - College Station vs. Fort Worth

College Station: Texas A&M, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Binghamton

Fort Worth: TCU, Arizona State, Gonzaga, Oral Roberts

Super Region #5 - Louisville vs. Nashville

Louisville: Louisville, Ohio State, Wright State, Western Michigan

Nashville: Vanderbilt, UC Santa Barbara, Washington, Xavier

Super Region #6 - Clemson vs. Columbia

Clemson: Clemson, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Western Carolina

Columbia: South Carolina, UNC Wilmington, Duke, Rhode Island

Super Region #7 - Starkville vs. Lafayette

Starkville: Mississippi State, Cal State Fullerton, Louisiana Tech, SE Missouri State

Lafayette: UL Lafayette, Arizona, Sam Houston State, Princeton

Super Region #8 - Coral Gables vs. Oxford

Coral Gables: Miami [Florida], Florida Atlantic, Long Beach State, Stetson

Oxford: Ole Miss, Tulane, Boston College, Utah

Of course Clemson got paired up with the Columbia regional. <_<

This team has gotten HOT at the perfect time, considering 3 or so weeks ago there were questions about whether Clemson would even make the tournament, let alone get a national seed. Monte Lee has really set this program on a fast track to success.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The most annoying thing I've seen so far is that SBNation has already assumed who will make it to the next round. I don't expect Ohio State to win the Louisville regional but I'd love to think they'll do well based off last weekend's heroics.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Some notes from Day 1...

Rocky Rhode: I'm going to assume that a hearty laugh is coming from BlackBolt after South Carolina jumped out to an early 4-0 lead on Rhode Island, only to see the A-10 champion Rams come back and stun them 5-4. The Gamecocks need to be Duke to stay alive, a task that can be done after the Blue Devils got spanked by UNC Wilmington.

Underdog Utah: Utah, the Pac 12 champs at 25-27 on the year, scored in the 10th to upset Ole Miss in Oxford. Not bad for a team with a sub. 500 record.

Rain, rain go away: Rain washed out at least two games, SE Louisiana-Rice in Baton Rouge and Xavier-Vanderbilt in Nashville (despite the drowning death of P Donny Everett). Also washed up was the Cal State Fullerton-Louisiana Tech game in Starkville, but they will complete that game today.

With Day 2 pretty much in the books, here's my take...

The Fifteen who have Fallen: Of the 15 teams knocked out today there are 9 #4 seeds, 3 #3 seeds (Duke, Nebraska and St. Mary's), 1 #2 seed (Bryant) and 2 #1 seeds (Vanderbilt and Ole Miss). How did those two join the pile? Well...

Vulnerable Vandy: Two days after the death of P Donny Everett, the Commodores finally had a chance to open their regional against Xavier, a team they swept back in March.. But, it would seem that fate had other plans. With the Musketeers up 2-1 in the 7th, the floodgates opened. Walks, hit batters and a grand slam all added up to a 13 run explosion for Xavier in a 15-1 rout, one of the biggest losses for a home standing team in tournament history... but, Vanderbilt had to come back a few hours later to play Washington and it looked like they would win being up 8-2... but, fate stepped in and threw her monkey wrench at the Commodores as the Huskies would come back to beat them 9-8.

Late Inning Lament: Once again, Ole Miss got bit in the late stages of the game. After last night's loss in 10 to Utah, the Rebels give up a game winning 2 run shot against Tulane to send them packing from the regional.

Baton Rouge = Basically Rained out: SE Louisiana and Rice did get their game going to the 7th inning... and then the rain came. It came... and it came... and it keep going. Once again, the game was suspended until tomorrow when they will finish this game, then have the loser face Utah Valley and then the winner gets LSU to end the day. Rain also wrecked the day in Lafayette forcing the UL Lafayette-Arizona game to be moved to tomorrow, but at least they got a game in.

Valiant effort by the Dirtbags today. Down 8-1 after four, six runs in the sixth, tying it at 8-8 in the eighth, only to fall in a walk-off to the host Miami in the ninth. Lost in 11 to the Hurricanes earlier too.

Kind of the season in a nutshell for Long Beach State. Fought hard all the way though, just couldn't close it out at the end against Cal State Fullerton in the final series for the Big West or against Miami in the Regionals.

However, best season in a little while for the Beach, and only a couple seniors. Almost all of their best players returning next season, including Big West Pitcher of the Year Darren McCaughan, who's just a sophomore, and hopefully the real stud and prospect Big West Defensive Player of the Year junior shortstop Garrett Hampson (He's a junior, slotted to be picked in the third round, Nationals originially drafted him 26th round in 2013) Another stud on the mound in Chris Mathewson who was just a sophomore.

Dirtbags will be back here next year, and probably better for it. Go Beach.

---

Also good to see Cal State Fullerton eliminated too... Well at least we have UC Santa Barbara (of all things) to be the great Western hope. (And sure, Arizona too if they can win two games tomorrow... but :censored: UofA. Go Ragin' Cajuns.)

And check out some of those Super Regionals already. Florida/Florida State? Juicy. TCU/Texas A&M? Juicy. Miami/Boston College? Juicyish. Neat.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Super Regional play is going on... five teams have earned their trip to Omaha. Congrats to Arizona, UC Santa Barbara (Walk off Grand Slam to move on... that is clutch, my friend), Miami of Florida, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech on moving on.

Three more series are going on, and there could be three more games tomorrow... stay tuned.

Roundel Logos for the final 8 teams:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/38398625/2016-College-World-Series-Roundels

Florida vs. Coastal Carolina, Texas Tech vs TCU, UCSB vs Oklahoma State, and Arizona vs Miami

Lots of teams with great regular seasons (Texas A&M, Mississippi State, LSU, Virginia, Clemson) put out by hotter teams.  In college baseball it's all about getting hot at the right time.  Coastal, UCSB, OK State, and Arizona are all 2 seeds that fit that bill.

408a8d38398625.576071fd44621.png

Archived