UEFA Euro 2016 Thread

lopernv

In terms of members why not? Conmebol has 10 members and sometimes gets 5 teams at the WC whereas Oceania regularly gets none.Those represent 50% of CONMEBOL's membership the equivalent of 27 UEFA teams.If it means a South American "giant" has to give way to e.g. New Zealand, so be it.BTW Russia "world class"?You did see what we did to them?

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, WelshSteeler said:

In terms of members why not? Conmebol has 10 members and sometimes gets 5 teams at the WC whereas Oceania regularly gets none.Those represent 50% of CONMEBOL's membership the equivalent of 27 UEFA teams.If it means a South American "giant" has to give way to e.g. New Zealand, so be it.BTW Russia "world class"?You did see what we did to them?

I know its irrelevant to you since the Welshies won't be playing in the World Cup, but the 2018 event is still set to be played in Russia.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I know its irrelevant to you since the Welshies won't be playing in the World Cup, but the 2018 event is still set to be played in Russia.

If it wasn't do you think they'd qualify? As for us why not?Our group is pretty even but we recently out performed all those nations.

4 minutes ago, WelshSteeler said:

If it wasn't do you think they'd qualify? As for us why not?Our group is pretty even but we recently out performed all those nations.

You misread Crash's post.  He meant Ecuador or some other world class team will miss out on playing in Russia.

As for the Welshies, I think one World Cup appearance in team history speaks for itself.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Until this year we had never made a Euro tournament - the same squad will start the next WC qualifiers.

1 minute ago, WelshSteeler said:

Until this year we had never made a Euro tournament - the same squad will start the next WC qualifiers.

I see we're just going to ignore the expanded Euro field and how that's a major reason why the Welshies made the tournament.

Today, we are all otaku.

We would have been in the play off under the old system so may have got through.Fact remains we did and got ,deservedly, to the semi-final,beating the #2 ranked team(again!) on the way.So whose "deserved" place do you think we took?

3 hours ago, WelshSteeler said:

We would have been in the play off under the old system so may have got through.Fact remains we did and got ,deservedly, to the semi-final,beating the #2 ranked team(again!) on the way.So whose "deserved" place do you think we took?

In the Euro tournament, not sure.  That said I think I'd take another, far more battle-tested CONMEBOL team over a team that had to finish in second among Israel, Cyprus, Andorra, Bosnia, and Belgium, and then get past Slovakia, Russia, and England to make the knockouts.

Today, we are all otaku.

CONMEBOL and CONCACAF should merge as should Asia and Oceania.You seem to have a rather inflated opinion of South American football and a puzzling problem with Wales.

1 hour ago, WelshSteeler said:

CONMEBOL and CONCACAF should merge as should Asia and Oceania.You seem to have a rather inflated opinion of South American football and a puzzling problem with Wales.

1.  My opinion about South American national teams is totally not influenced by historical results such as "they won 9 out of 20 World Cups" and "they do very well in international play".  Nope, not at all.  And they're not going to merge because CONCACAF member organizations would be the major loser of that merger.

2.  Look in a mirror.  That is my present "problem" with Wales.  (That and the assumption that one tournament run heralds an era of strong international success).

Today, we are all otaku.

What is the problem? All success starts with one win so how do we know this isn't the start of something for however long it lasts?You seem to resent the fact that not only did Wales qualify after years of often heartbreaking near misses(look them up) but that they did way better than some supposed superior nations when they got there.The vast majority of football fans around the world seemed to enjoy our adventure and we managed to get two players in the Team Of The Tournament (should have been three-Bale had a better all round tournament than Ronaldo).As for South American football - not too clever recently..Brazil haven't excited really since '82 and Europe has won 4 out of the last 5 World Cups.If there's to be no merger then reduce CONMEBOL's representation and give one to an unmerged Oceania or increase CONCACAF,s.No confederation these days should have 50% of their teams qualify.

5 hours ago, WelshSteeler said:

What is the problem? All success starts with one win so how do we know this isn't the start of something for however long it lasts?

History?  A population that is smaller than Moldova?  The possible economic collapse that will wash over all of the Great Britain and frag Wales because of it being part of the UK? 

You seem to resent the fact that not only did Wales qualify after years of often heartbreaking near misses(look them up) but that they did way better than some supposed superior nations when they got there.

I don't resent Wales.  Certain nameless fans who somehow think that one magical tourney run makes their team one of soccer's elite?  Perhaps some reality checks are in order.

The vast majority of football fans around the world seemed to enjoy our adventure and we managed to get two players in the Team Of The Tournament (should have been three-Bale had a better all round tournament than Ronaldo)

Good for you.  It was a nice tournament.  It also doesn't mean :censored: for World Cup qualifying.  The group looks favorable for Wales assuming no Serbian bigot shoots Bale or something, but the games must still be played.

.As for South American football - not too clever recently..Brazil haven't excited really since '82 and Europe has won 4 out of the last 5 World Cups.

UEFA has also had, respectively, 15, 15, 14, 13, and 13 teams in said World Cups.  It helps to flood the field, doesn't it?  Actually CONMEBOL's success seems even more remarkable given how UEFA's allotment has remained relatively static over history.

If there's to be no merger then reduce CONMEBOL's representation and give one to an unmerged Oceania

The  World Cup is about giving the best soccer teams a world a chance to win the tournament.  The Kiwis, based on history, don't deserve the charity of a free trip to the World Cup until the heat death of the universe.  Certainly not at the expense of a South American team.

or increase CONCACAF,s

Guess who didn't watch the Copa America this year.  (Spoiler: CONCACAF kind of got slapped around.)  There is no reason to given that Confederation more slots.  And the reason, btw, they wouldn't sign on for a merger is because the South American teams would take slots away from the North American teams in qualifying.

.No confederation these days should have 50% of their teams qualify.

It's about getting the best teams in.  Period.  The fact that accidents of history, colonialism, and geography gave South America few countries, but many good soccer teams shouldn't mean they can't get it based on some arbitrary numerical standard.

Today, we are all otaku.

Population - slightly less than Uruguay.

Economics - How does that affect a team?

Nameless - My name is Mike Mcloughlin and I have been watching my country play for 40+ years.The current form says we are one of the best four teams in Europe and have one of the world's best players.We've had too many reality checks in the past so I must humbly beg your forgiveness for daring to actually enjoy a very rare success for our country!

WC Qualifying - Which country do you follow? How easy is their route?Would they get out of any UEFA group?

Allocation - Still not 50% though

Best Teams etc- Last time they were there New Zealand went out undefeated.Why shouldn't they have the same chance as everyone else?

Slots - Increasing the Asian and African allocations improved the game there no end.Would regular Inter-American competition not help to improve the current CONCACAF nations?

Best teams? - Not always,sometimes absolute joke sides get in where better sides from other areas don't but that is the beauty of the game.To stifle the world game the way the CL stifles most club football would be a mistake.

7 hours ago, WelshSteeler said:

Population - slightly less than Uruguay.

I think Moldova is a more relevant comparison.

Economics - How does that affect a team?

Folks don't stick around in your country when the economy goes south.

Nameless - My name is Mike Mcloughlin and I have been watching my country play for 40+ years.The current form says we are one of the best four teams in Europe and have one of the world's best players.We've had too many reality checks in the past so I must humbly beg your forgiveness for daring to actually enjoy a very rare success for our country!

Congrats.  Mind you the way the draw shook out the other half of the bracket come knockout rounds was slightly tougher, but good for you.

WC Qualifying - Which country do you follow?

USA! USA! USA!

How easy is their route?

On paper, reasonably easy.  In reality *glares at Jurgen Klinsmann*

Would they get out of any UEFA group?

*glares at Jurgen Klinsmann*

Probably not, (But we're one of the best teams in a confederation that you think should get MORE teams into the World Cup!)

Allocation - Still not 50% though

And thank God for that.  Granted you are missing the point about arbitrarily drawn lines and confederation memberships/boundaries.

Best Teams etc- Last time they were there New Zealand went out undefeated.Why shouldn't they have the same chance as everyone else?

1.  "They went undefeated"  Yeah, that's one way of  looking at a team that managed 3 draws and 2 goals and elimination in group play.  I know some see "Greece" as an aspirational peer, but I'd prefer it if teams tried to win.

2.  The Kiwis have yet to win a single World Cup game, and only dominate OFC because every other team is abysmally bad and Australia quit the confederation for Asia.  They don't get a charity bid.

Slots - Increasing the Asian and African allocations improved the game there no end.

Sort of.  Still waiting on that final four team (non-host nation edition)

Would regular Inter-American competition not help to improve the current CONCACAF nations?

Getting beat like a drum doesn't make you stronger, despite the claims of some.

Best teams? - Not always,sometimes absolute joke sides get in where better sides from other areas don't but that is the beauty of the game.

You're right.  Let's cut down on UEFA participants.

To stifle the world game the way the CL stifles most club football would be a mistake.

How dare they try to reward quality.

Today, we are all otaku.

A combined COCACAF/CONMEBOL would mean 8 slots and a playoff spot. Realistically, I think the US can beat any CONMEBOL teams except for Chile, Argentina and Colombia. Right now Brazil is so bad I think they could do it. In Europe, the USA beat Germany and the Netherlands in friendlies with experimental lineups by all three teams. That's the biggest issue we've had with Klinsmann. He seems to want to experiment in the missle of tournaments like the Gold Cup last year when a win would have eliminated the need for a Gold Cup Playoff for Confederations Cup. I think Oceania getting an automatic bid is not the worst thing in the world. FIFA seems to count on their votes to keep the status quo but they know that they need to keep UEFA and CONMEBOL happy. CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are absolute messes and Argentina is so hosed right now they can't pay to fly in prospective national team coaches! I think going into Russia 2018, Europe will make up the entirety of the semi-finals. USA will be lucky to make the last 8 and Argentina may not escape the last 16 if the majority of players that threatened to quit the national team stay off the pitch. 

As far as qualifying, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL will make sure their big boys get in, barring an epic collapse like Mexico had before squeezing in the door in 2014. That means USA, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina getting softer groups if they were playing the two confederations together. Chile, Colombia and Peru are considered Tier 2 teams even though all but Peru would beat Mexico and the US pretty easily. 

For UEFA, I'll be interested to see how England does in it's qualifiers in September. Allyrdyce won't have too many times to put his thoughts into action and I think we'll start to see the plans of whom he plans to have with them for Russia. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived