UEFA Euro 2016 Thread

lopernv

13 hours ago, marble21 said:

More importantly, a win guarantees that we will play our next game at 5pm on Saturday instead of 8pm on Monday night. Which has it's obvious benefits beer.png.

kGisi63.png

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict that Qatar will be more succesful in 2022 than Russia will be 2018. They have a horrible team right now. Feels like they made three steps backwards since 2008.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

4 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

I predict that Qatar will be more succesful in 2022 than Russia will be 2018. They have a horrible team right now. Feels like they made three steps backwards since 2008.

Do you think the Russian national team is suffering as a result of oil rich teams in their league investing heavily in foreign players? 

Their squad at this Euros is quite old and I don't really know of any young players with potential coming through. Might just be my lack of knowledge though. 

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

1 minute ago, marble21 said:

Do you think the Russian national team is suffering as a result of oil rich teams in their league investing heavily in foreign players? 

Their squad at this Euros is quite old and I don't really know of any young players with potential coming through. Might just be my lack of knowledge though. 

I don't think so. The league was already packed with foreign players ten years ago, when CSKA and Zenit won the UEFA Cup and when the Sbornaja had great success in 2008. I think they should've just develope a decent youth system over the years. But I'm actually not really into Russian soccer to jump to conclusions here.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

21 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

In Group D...

[words omitted to conserve space]

Group D is fun, because given the results in the first three groups, it’s much more advantageous to finish third in Group D than second — though if Turkey finishes third, they may not qualify through.

The second-place team from D will play Italy in the round of 16, with a quarterfinal against (likely) Germany waiting for the winner of that tie.

If a third-place team advances from D, they’d play Wales in the round of 16, with a quarterfinal against (perhaps) Belgium or Portugal or Hungary sitting as the reward.

I know which route I’d rather have…

6fQjS3M.png

10 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

I don't think so. The league was already packed with foreign players ten years ago, when CSKA and Zenit won the UEFA Cup and when the Sbornaja had great success in 2008. I think they should've just develope a decent youth system over the years. But I'm actually not really into Russian soccer to jump to conclusions here.

I’m not hugely into Russian football either, but I think you could make a great case that part of their struggles is down to the fact that their entire team — sans Neustädter (lol) — plays in the Russian league. And it’s not even like they left guys at home who do, because it’s only Cheryshev in the Russian setup playing abroad these days. Granted, things would be better for them if they didn’t have the injury problems, but…

Even with the smaller nations and the expanded field, only two nations don’t have multiple players that play in top-five European leagues: Russia and Ukraine. I don’t think it’s a coincidence both are going home having hardly made an impression.

6fQjS3M.png

Spain vs Italy 2nd round. The final matchup in 2012 will meet in the final 16 thanks to Croatia beating the Spaniards. I think the winner of that will get the Germans provided they win their next game.

Northern Ireland are through thanks to Turkeys win.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I'll get to Group D (home of the Croatian Monkey Wrench) in a second, but first it was the rather anti-climatic Group C. Poland and Germany won their games so those two are in the next round. Northern Ireland finishes in 3rd place, and will move on to the next round thanks to a goal difference of 0 thanks to Turkey... Oh, and Slovakia is in thanks to Poland. That means two of the wild cards are taken.

Group D went haywire at the end as Croatia wins the group and Spain, once the feared juggernaut in Europe, now looks mortal and will have to face Italy in the Round of 16. Oh boy... Meanwhile, Turkey rises from the grave to beat the Czech Republic 2-0 and put themselves in prime position to take a wild card slot. Let's get to that first...

Wild Card: Slovakia and Northern Ireland have taken two of the slots right now with Turkey ahead of Albania in total goals (2-1). With Group E and F yet to play, there are 2 spots up for grabs... For both the Turks and the Albanians, the best result would be to see Portugal and Sweden, the current 3rd place teams, lose their games. If either one wins, then both nations could be on the proverbial chopping block.

Now, to Group E...

Italy: Already assured a date with Spain on Monday, it really doesn't matter what they do against Ireland.

Belgium: A win over Sweden would give them 2nd place unless they beat the Swedes 4-0 and Italy and Ireland ends up scoreless. A loss isn't all bad because Belgium then jumps into the wild card race and would be ahead of both Turkey and Albania via goal difference unless it was a 2-0 or 3-0 loss.

Sweden: The Swedes need a win over Belgium to leapfrog past them into 2nd place. Anything else and they're done for.

Ireland: The Irish needs a monster upset of Italy to even sniff 3rd place and hope they can make up the -3 goal difference and see Sweden and Belgium end in a draw.

Finally, there's Group F...

Hungary: A win or a draw against Portugal assures them of a trip to the next round. A loss mean either 2nd place or 3rd place depending on the Iceland-Austria match up.

Iceland: It's simple here... A win over Austria and they're in. A draw would mean they need a Hungary victory over Portugal and loss ends this miracle run for them.

Portugal: A win over Hungary would send them into the next round provided Iceland loses. A draw would give them 3 points and with a 0 goal difference, they could leapfrog past Turkey and Albania in the race for the wild card. A loss means yet another early exit for Ronaldo and his mates.

Austria: Austria needs a win over Iceland and a Hungary victory over Portugal to get into the next round. Anything else ends it for them.

3 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I’m not hugely into Russian football either, but I think you could make a great case that part of their struggles is down to the fact that their entire team — sans Neustädter (lol) — plays in the Russian league. And it’s not even like they left guys at home who do, because it’s only Cheryshev in the Russian setup playing abroad these days. Granted, things would be better for them if they didn’t have the injury problems, but…

Even with the smaller nations and the expanded field, only two nations don’t have multiple players that play in top-five European leagues: Russia and Ukraine. I don’t think it’s a coincidence both are going home having hardly made an impression.

Well, Russians pretty much only playing in Russia is a side effect of having to play a certain numbers of Russians every game, so of course Zenit and CSKA try to get all the good ones. and all teams are reluctant to sell. But they had major injuries before the tournament, they were missing Dzagoev, Denisov, Cherysev, pretty much all of their creators.  Not calling up any players fro Rostov after the season they've had was a head scratcher too.

If Croatia doesn't self destruct they're a real contender, right there with germany and Spain. Much better constructed team than other media darling Belgium, and their midfield is insanely deep and full of players who can dictate play, unlike France. Modric, Rakitic, Badelj, Kovacic, Rog, brozovic, they have good strikers, good wingers, a an above average defense with actual fullbacks. Now if only their FA wasn't disgraceful... 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

14 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

If Croatia doesn't self destruct they're a real contender

They also have to worried about a certain subsection of their support that wants to get the team disqualified just so they can mess with their FA. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

28 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

They also have to worried about a certain subsection of their support that wants to get the team disqualified just so they can mess with their FA. 

After learning about their situation, it's hard to feel like they're unjustified. 

Time and place, but still.

Does anyone else feel frustrated by this Euro? Ton of late goals, but a bunch of the smaller teams just play negative football for ties... not that I can fault them, but the competition is now set up for it. The England - Slovakia match was one of the most boring games I can remember.

Starting to open up a bit now that games are starting to matter that much more, so hopefully the trend continues.

2 hours ago, GFB said:

Unbelievable performance by my Croats. If we can get Modric back, with the way the bracket is set up, there's no reason why we can't make a deep run.

We’ve played better than anyone else who’s gonna be in our half of the bracket, so… why not dream of a final?

6fQjS3M.png

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Finally, there's Group F...

Hungary: A win or a draw against Portugal assures them of a trip to the next round. A loss mean either 2nd place or 3rd place depending on the Iceland-Austria match up.

Iceland: It's simple here... A win over Austria and they're in. A draw would mean they need a Hungary victory over Portugal and loss ends this miracle run for them.

Portugal: A win over Hungary would send them into the next round provided Iceland loses. A draw would give them 3 points and with a 0 goal difference, they could leapfrog past Turkey and Albania in the race for the wild card. A loss means yet another early exit for Ronaldo and his mates.

Austria: Austria needs a win over Iceland and a Hungary victory over Portugal to get into the next round. Anything else ends it for them.

I think Austria just has to win to advance. They would be no worse then 3rd in the group and would have more points then Northern Ireland, who is in.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

2 hours ago, ninersdd said:

I think Austria just has to win to advance. They would be no worse then 3rd in the group and would have more points then Northern Ireland, who is in.

The reason I said that Hungary needs to beat Portugal for Austria to move on is that if that goes down this way, they would leapfrog past both Iceland and Portugal with 4 points and take 2nd place, which would mean a date with England on Monday.

Should Portugal win, then Austria would be in 3rd place behind Hungary and, as you said, would earn a wild card spot.

England plays the number 2 team, currently Iceland as of the 1-0 Hungary lead over Portugal.

EDIT:  Portugal equalizer sends them to third place slot and sends Austria out. Really wish I could watch these at work.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think this is good news for England as I think they can match up better vs Iceland. It's even better news for Portugal because they possibly can go to the Bracket of Life instead of the Bracket of Death. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived