Made-Up Sports You Played As A Kid

Uglybus

The title is pretty self explanatory, so I'll go first. 

Floor Tennis

Use a tennis ball and get on your knees. 

Desingnate the field. The only line you really need to worry about is the center line. You can't cross that line, or hit the ball when it's on the other side. You get points by having the ball roll to a stop in your opponent's category, or if your opponent hits it more than 3 times without the ball crossing territories. 

What are some sports you made up as a kid?

Hotdog-Ball (The Game had nothing to do with Hotdogs, it was what was for lunch that day my friends and I invented it). 

My school had recently received brand new playground equipment, including these scoops and wiffle balls, hotdog-ball's rules were simple.

Each team had two players. The pitcher would pitch by tossing the ball up and hitting it with the backside of the scoop towards the batter. The batter would try to hit the ball with the scoop. If the ball was hit and put in play the batter would have to run to a nearby tree. If the batter reached the tree it was worth one point. The pitcher and fielder's job was to get the ball and tag the batter out by throwing the ball and hitting them. If the batter had enough time, he would run back to home, if he made it back home it was worth two points. 5 point limit per inning, 2 outs, 9 balls before you walk, 5 strikes before you strike out and 3 fouls before you foul out. If a defender caught the ball in his scoop before it hit the ground it was worth three points I think. 

One time I was playing it at recess and the ball was popped up. I ran looking up at the sky trying to be a hero and catch the ball and didn't notice that I was about to run into the side of the school. I ran face first into it, got a bloody nose and had to referee for the rest of the game. 

A couple days later our game was banned for "not using the playground equipment how it was intended to be used." 

Red Ass: tennis ball + large outdoor wall of a school (usually a gym).  

A bit like squash + h.o.r.s.e. I guess.  Keep throwing the ball at the wall, fairly high for pop ups... if you caught an opposing team's rebound, they'd get the letter 'R'... if you just grabbed a rebound on the ground, you got to throw it again.  Once a player/team spelled out 'Red Ass', they stood at the wall & you had one free pitch at their rear end lols; nothing cheap though, & being young without too much velocity, it was more a matter of hilarity.  Pretty fast paced & hectic.  Probably only played around grades 2 & 3.  Oddly, I went to a school outside my neighbourhood & yet my own neighbourhood friends knew it also.

Me and my 2 brothers would always play this game called "sockey" in our grandparents' basement. We called it that because when we had our socks on the tile could easily cause someone to slip. There would be one goalie and you had to score a certain amount of goals to win the game. It was played with ping pong paddles and a ping pong ball. We would use things lying around as the goal markers and out of bounds lines, such as pool cues. My team was always the Houston Fist O'Pain (named after the roller coaster in Spongebob) although actually my oldest brother, who is still younger than me, was probably the best at the game. Unfortunately when my grandparents moved out the game of sockey had to be retired.

8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Red Ass:

There's a well known game here in the UK called "Red Arse" which is similar but based around soccer.

It is played using just one goal with a goalkeeper and all other players attack that goal and have to reach a certain amount of goals scored either by volley (ball is not allowed to touch the floor before kicking it) or a header. If the goalkeeper catches the ball without it bouncing then he becomes an attacker and the last player to touch the ball then becomes the Goalkeeper. The person playing as Goalkeeper when the target score is reached then has to stand on the goal line and the other players kick the ball at their rear end from the penalty spot 12 yards away. It's funny how the same sort of games are played in different places.

After seeing Aussie Rules Football on ESPN we made up our own variation of the game. The QB would try to pass it to a teammate, if the teammate caught it he either had to down the ball or pitch it to someone else on the team who could run with it for a certain distance before having to down it or pitch it to someone else, if the QB could sky the ball and catch his own pass he had free reign to run as far as he wanted, if the pass was incomplete it was a free ball and I can't really remember what happened if the defense picked off the pass.

My friends and I played a game we called "Quarterback Challenge". We stole the name from the QB skills competition they'd show on TV, but our game was nothing like that. 

Our game was always played with a Nerf vortex football. Rules were you started with as many players as you wanted and it was every player for himself, no teams. There was a set perimeter that you weren't allowed to leave, usually my friend's backyard, which was the perfect size and had trees and a swingset in the middle which made for some interesting obstacles to hide behind. The game started by someone throwing the ball straight up into the air and then it was a free for all. If you had the ball the objective was to throw and hit the other players, but you could only take 3 steps with the ball, the players without the ball were allowed to run free until the ballholder's last step and then you had to freeze in place, if you violated that rule you were out. If you got hit by the ball you were out, if you caught the throw from the ballholder then the player who threw it was out. The ultimate goal was to be the last player alive. It got interesting when a player would miss his target and then multiple players would chance it and run for the ball at the same time, which would result in the ballholder making a quick throw to get the player who didn't reach the ball in time. The best was when it got down to only two players left and they were winging the ball at each other as hard as possible.

We played for hours upon hours every day after school and it resulted in many fights and arguments over whether someone was out or not. 

In grade 4, some friends and I came up with "slide hockey". You think real hockey has tilted ice? This had it literally! At a hockey game I'd gone to, they gave out these soft foam yellow pucks, and I got one and brought it to school one day. Myself and a friend of mine wound up occupying one of the slides in the playground, and we played what I guess would be a variant of air hockey, where each of us took an end and tried to score on each other.

And then in grade 8-9, me and another friend got bored and started doing "bottle cap wrestling" in the cafeteria. If you're familiar with Beyblade, or I guess any spinning top-type game, it was basically that except with bottle caps. (I think this was back when Pepsi sold 1L bottles with the wide mouth, so I'd always have an advantage with my 2x-sized bottle cap :D)

20 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Red Ass: tennis ball + large outdoor wall of a school (usually a gym).  

A bit like squash + h.o.r.s.e. I guess.  Keep throwing the ball at the wall, fairly high for pop ups... if you caught an opposing team's rebound, they'd get the letter 'R'... if you just grabbed a rebound on the ground, you got to throw it again.  Once a player/team spelled out 'Red Ass', they stood at the wall & you had one free pitch at their rear end lols; nothing cheap though, & being young without too much velocity, it was more a matter of hilarity.  Pretty fast paced & hectic.  Probably only played around grades 2 & 3.  Oddly, I went to a school outside my neighbourhood & yet my own neighbourhood friends knew it also.

Yeah, in 3rd grade we played something that may have been similar to this, called Wall Ball. It was the side of the gym, like you said, and a tennis ball, but I don't remember any targeting of asses. In fact, I don't remember any of the rules, other than you threw a ball at the wall and people were sequentially eliminated. It was eventually banned for reasons that I also don't remember (sorry, guys, that was the year I was on Ritalin and everything is a little foggier than it ought to be!), probably for being a nuisance to the teachers supervising lunch in the gym. Thereafter, kids played something that was surely a better choice: football!

Did anyone ever watch "Z Games" on Disney Channel? They profiled games kids had made up and encouraged you to make your own. I think it was some late 90's initiative where they realized we were all getting fat as :censored: staying inside watching too much day time cable. Not sure what the Z stood for (zany?), but 90% of the kids' games they showcased were stupid and/or ripoffs of existing sports. 

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, in 3rd grade we played something that may have been similar to this, called Wall Ball. It was the side of the gym, like you said, and a tennis ball, but I don't remember any targeting of asses. In fact, I don't remember any of the rules, other than you threw a ball at the wall and people were sequentially eliminated. It was eventually banned for reasons that I also don't remember (sorry, guys, that was the year I was on Ritalin and everything is a little foggier than it ought to be!), probably for being a nuisance to the teachers supervising lunch in the gym. Thereafter, kids played something that was surely a better choice: football!

If I remember it correctly.....after the ball bounced off the wall, anyone could catch/field the ball.  But if it wasn't fielded cleanly, you had to run to the wall and touch it before another person picked up the ball and threw it at the wall.  If the ball touched the wall before the guy did, that player was out.  And if you bobbled a ball and touched it a second time, you were automatically out.  And I think the ball had to hit the ground before it could be fielded, too.

I think our version of the game had a "Red Ass" penalty if you threw the ball and it touched the ground before hitting the wall.  Or, if you threw the ball and it hit someone before hitting the wall.

My "made up" game was a 9-inning version of Home Run Derby.  The two opponents did both the pitching and the hitting.  You got three outs an inning, a pitch in the strike zone was an out, and any swing not resulting in a home run was an out.  At it's zenith, we had an 8-person league going.

None of us had cable at the time (or, at least, in our bedrooms where we could watch it often), so none of us had a clue that MLB had a very exact version of the game we were playing 50 years beforehand.  If any of you had seen the shows on ESPN Classic, we played the exact same thing.

5 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

If I remember it correctly.....after the ball bounced off the wall, anyone could catch/field the ball.  But if it wasn't fielded cleanly, you had to run to the wall and touch it before another person picked up the ball and threw it at the wall.  If the ball touched the wall before the guy did, that player was out.  And if you bobbled a ball and touched it a second time, you were automatically out.  And I think the ball had to hit the ground before it could be fielded, too.

This sounds about right, because I think I remember running at the wall and also a distinct sense that there were too many rules for me to follow. Probably why I gave up and just ran laps at recess.

18 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, I think I played that way a bit also... the running to the wall to beat a throw sounds familiar.  It's been awhile- mid 80's awhile.

See... stuff like that, who the hell made that game up that so many of us played it?  

Swing Kickball:

You have a swing set that one player swings on, to kick the ball from. That swing set is home base, and the other three bases are set up in a baseball-style configuration. The pitcher pitches it to the person on the swings from the pitcher's mound, and the person on the swings has to kick it as far as they can and run around the bases. It's basically kickball but with a swing set.

Floor Hockey:

Hockey but with no sticks, on your knees, in which picking the ball up or juggling it is a penalty. It was actually surprising fun.

24 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I think our version of the game had a "Red Ass" penalty if you threw the ball and it touched the ground before hitting the wall.  Or, if you threw the ball and it hit someone before hitting the wall.

Exactly, except we called it "wall ball".

My next-door neighbor and I invented a game called Longball, so named because he had a crush on a girl whose surname was Long. It involved kicking one of those big inflatable bouncy balls you see in stores. In retrospect, it was mostly kickball with some soccer added in and a definite element of Calvinball. I don't think we ever finalized the rules.

Archived