Made-Up Sports You Played As A Kid

Uglybus

My next-door neighbor and I invented a game called Longball, so named because he had a crush on a girl whose surname was Long. It involved kicking one of those big inflatable bouncy balls you see in stores. In retrospect, it was mostly kickball with some soccer added in and a definite element of Calvinball. I don't think we ever finalized the rules.

My next-door neighbor and I invented a game called Longball, so named because he had a crush on a girl whose surname was Long. It involved kicking one of those big inflatable bouncy balls you see in stores. In retrospect, it was mostly kickball with some soccer added in and a definite element of Calvinball. I don't think we ever finalized the rules.

• 5 weeks later...
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 1:05 PM, McCarthy said:

My friends and I played a game we called "Quarterback Challenge". We stole the name from the QB skills competition they'd show on TV, but our game was nothing like that. 

Our game was always played with a Nerf vortex football. Rules were you started with as many players as you wanted and it was every player for himself, no teams. There was a set perimeter that you weren't allowed to leave, usually my friend's backyard, which was the perfect size and had trees and a swingset in the middle which made for some interesting obstacles to hide behind. The game started by someone throwing the ball straight up into the air and then it was a free for all. If you had the ball the objective was to throw and hit the other players, but you could only take 3 steps with the ball, the players without the ball were allowed to run free until the ballholder's last step and then you had to freeze in place, if you violated that rule you were out. If you got hit by the ball you were out, if you caught the throw from the ballholder then the player who threw it was out. The ultimate goal was to be the last player alive. It got interesting when a player would miss his target and then multiple players would chance it and run for the ball at the same time, which would result in the ballholder making a quick throw to get the player who didn't reach the ball in time. The best was when it got down to only two players left and they were winging the ball at each other as hard as possible.

We played for hours upon hours every day after school and it resulted in many fights and arguments over whether someone was out or not. 

Lol we played QB Challenge with a riding mower pulling a little red wagon with a card table inside on its side with a painted bullseye. 

Other games... Smoffball. A lot like volleyball but we used a kickball and a clothesline.

Smear the Q.... well not to offend. 10 people, 1 football, and 1 goal. Whoever got to 3 first, won. 

BMXF1. We would setup road courses in our yard and have 50 lap races.

Sacker.

Two teams of three inside a small hardwood "rink" with walls made of cots. Maybe 10-12 ft by 20 feet. Six cots, three on each side that tapered to form goals that were about 3 feet wide. Each team had a goalie who was on his knees and could use his hands to block shots. The other two players were in the middle using their feet to kick a hacky sack like a hockey puck and score goals. The height of the goal was the height of the overturned cot so about 3 - 3.5 feet. Physical violence was encouraged, lots of checking, pushing, shoving, and scrumming occurred. To make sure the rink stayed in place, all of the bystanders had to hold onto the cots. I think we played 5 minute games.

Goals: get big football players on your team who can push people around and athletic people who can lift the hacky sack so their shots aren't on the floor (easy to block). 

It was awesome.

I forget what we called it, but we had a game where one person would throw a football into the crowd, and everyone would try to catch it. If you caught it 3 times, you got to be the thrower. Only reason I remember this is we played it at halftime of the Denver-Giants Super Bowl and one guy cut my legs out from under me and I landed on my head. Had such a concussion I couldn't enjoy the spread my mom's friend put out for the second half.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:44 AM, smzimbabwe said:

I forget what we called it, but we had a game where one person would throw a football into the crowd, and everyone would try to catch it. If you caught it 3 times, you got to be the thrower. Only reason I remember this is we played it at halftime of the Denver-Giants Super Bowl and one guy cut my legs out from under me and I landed on my head. Had such a concussion I couldn't enjoy the spread my mom's friend put out for the second half.

I played this one too, but we called it 500.

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/ball_games/500.htm

An Army game we still play: Gator Ball.

Two teams, usually platoon vs platoon (30 vs 30 is possible). Plays like soccer and football. Using a soccer ball you can kick it forward. If it's in the air, either team can catch it and throw it like a football. Small or regular soccer goals are used. You have to kick it in to the goal so layers can run right up to the net and drop kick it in. If the soccer lines are laid down the 18 is the furthest you can go before playing it in. If it's on the ground you can run in and kick it on goal. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Llabtoof

In fifth grade, my friends and I used to play football everyday during lunch. But the principle banned it due to it being "too rough," which I still think is total BS. So we invented Llabtoof (football spelled backwards), which was football with a frisbee. Almost like ultimate frisbee, but with tackle football rules. It was a decent amount of fun until it too got banned.

You know what my favorite ring is? The next one.

-Tom Brady

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 7.51.09 PM.png

On July 2, 2016 at 10:44 PM, smzimbabwe said:

We called (call, I guess, we still kinda play it sometimes) it Jackpot, and the thrower would yell out a number between 1 and 1000 I think, and once you caught 1000 points you threw. We'd use baseballs and gloves too.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived