ACC Tournament Plagiarized My Work it seems

jaha32

As far as 10,15,20,25% rule, that's NOT and never has been a rule or law... EVER!!! If a logo can easily be confused on the street by people, then you have a legit complaint. And of course there's the issue of that logo that can be confused causing monetary damage to the accuser. Of course most people don't realize that if you're creating images via Photoshop or Illustrator that there are time stamps on the files. If you right click on the files, it will tell you the date and time it was created, modified, and last accessed. That can also help you in a legal battle if you want to pursue this, because if you can prefer your logo was created before theirs and as close as these two logos are, the more proof you have the better off you are.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine it's not about compensation so much as an admittance of guilt. I think anyone who frets and tweaks vector points thru numbing iterations of minutia can understand and recognize the impossible coincidence of these same points appearing on another design.

They (whoever they are) stole your design, and got paid (or credit at work) for your effort and I'm sure it's frustrating that they seemed to get away with it. At least you got in touch with the ACC, maybe they'll reach out to you next time the want one of your designs. That is what they got in 2015 after all.

• 4 months later...
On 2016. 10. 12. at 7:22 AM, mattb6 said:

Browsing Instagram I had to do a double take... I thought for sure i'd seen it before, and, sure enough, it appears the Cleveland Cavaliers ripped your logo (bottom left corner) @jaha32IMG_3202.PNG

IMG_3202.PNG

On this one, at least the ball is different. The placement of everything is the similar to the School of Hoops logo and the shield is very very similar, but not quite on the same level of ripoff as the ACC Tournament which used the exact same ball and highlighting.

Anyway, a few months back the ACC did agree to take the infringed logo off their website and other places online. It's a small consolation considering they got use out of it for the tournament, but at least it's resolved.

On 6/2/2016 at 9:24 PM, jaha32 said:

As I said in the original post, I do not claim ownership to the idea of a certain arrangement of common elements such as a banner, ball, and crest. The point of me posting this here is more along the lines that there is someone out there who gets big clients like the ACC, but still is okay with preying on the designs of others to complete the job. I find it unethical regardless of what legally falls under the 15% rule, etc... Any artist can recognize their own work.

Regarding "big clients". I've experienced having one of my concepts used by another, larger firm, with the same client.

I was paid to create a logo for the client. All went well. Then months later when the logo was unveiled it was actually one of my early concepts and credit was given to a larger design firm. My contact there told me, off the record, that the higher ups felt it looked better for their company if a more prestigious design firm did their logo. Apparently they didn't see it as wrong since in their minds they had already paid me for the job. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/31/2016 at 11:35 AM, tjharley said:

Wasn't me ;)

On 6/2/2016 at 8:51 AM, Joe said:

That's shameful. Sorry to see this happen.

I just wanted to double back to this topic and point out how great our industry is. The Original Author of this points to two "industry big boys" and both of them personally post their innocence / condolences .

Archived