Toronto Raptors Concept - The dino is back

rtrich11

I was disappointed when the Toronto Raptors took out any reference to dinosaurs in their logo package and replaced them with that weird ripped ball. I wanted to bring the velociraptor back into prominence, but not as a cartoon.

Not sure if the logo needs the highlights. I am especially torn about the highlight on the neck, or the ball "O". What do you think?

raptorsrichards.jpg

The highlights look fine. I think what needs work is the teeth. They kind of look like a sawblade, how they just sit on a straight jaw line. I'd try using one, sloping curve to transition from the front tip of each tooth to the back of the next tooth. You might also want a poon-hair's more room between the top of the head and the badge shape. I'd say get rid of the ball-O, but we're talking 'bout the NBA here, so it's perfect.

I think this iteration makes the raptor look less like a living animal and more like a skeleton. I get what you are trying to do, but that grey doesn't. Give it some life, maybe... colour in the eyes, etc.

With the shading and metallicness, it looks like the badge for a car company. "Come drive the 2017 Raptor Invader for no money down today!"

To be fair though, this is a great place to start, there's a lot I do like about it.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

To me, the raptor looks too friendly, not menacing enough. It appears to me as if he's kind of smiling. He doesn't need to be overly aggressive, but right now he's lacking in the typical visual characteristics that distinguish a raptor as a predator.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• 1 month later...

Honestly I think you've mixed two things that dont work together. I would change either the round style of the Dinosaur or the angled nature of the outside logo. Maybe try a circle with the raptor?

Despite what a few others are saying, I dont think the Raptor not looking fierce enough is the issue, its that he's in a fierce branding scheme that doesn't fit him. Not every logo has to be badass and mean to be serious, Celtics, the sweatered Milwaukee Buck, the list goes on. Try a vintage look out with the shape of the dinosaur and see if it clicks better for you.

Archived